1 reply to this topic

#1 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 00:42

Back in the day I played through Dreamfall Chapters on a 2010 i7 Macbook Pro at a pretty low resolution with all the settings turned down.

I vowed to play it through in 3 or 4 years time when Apple's hardware had caught up with yesterday's games (I do this a lot as I'm only a very mild gamer, more a Mac person and in the past is has worked quite well for me). Fortunately, that time is near and I look forward to playing Dreamfall Chapters in its true glory!

Unfortunately since circa 2016 many (I'd say most) of Apple's machines have come with pretty darn ordinary graphics options that aren't necessarily capable of playing Dreamfall Chapters properly (despite its age). Also, I have read various reports on here about seemingly capable setups getting lacklustre performance.

Questions:
- Have modern Macs caught up with Dreamfall Chapters? For example would a bog standard iMac with a 500-series GPU handle it pretty easily with respectable graphics?
- Anybody tried using an eGPU? Currently (because Apple provides such pitiful graphics configurations) I'm planning to buy a current-gen 6-core i5 Mac Mini with a Razer Core X and a Radeon RX Vega 64. Would this absolutely murder Dreamfall Chapters, allowing me to enjoy a proper play-through?
- Oh and Dreamfall Chapters is 64-bit, right? (Noting Apple's upcoming iteration of macOS will switch off support for 32-bit apps).

#2 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 13:34

FWIW I ended up purchasing a refurbished 2018 Mac Mini and a Razer Core X eGPU (with an RX Vega 64 in it). The results are superb! I've turned all of the graphics up full and there's zero slowdowns...

• popcorngal likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users