341 replies to this topic

#41 isThatAHippo

isThatAHippo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:51

I got to admit I'm extremely happy for everyone that is able to play tonight, but on the other hand incredibly frustrated by the fact that I've been pretty much waiting by my computer all day not knowing what was going on to finally be told now, with this post, that its Windows only. I mean it would have been nice to know this earlier today. I mean I get it; I can only imagine what RTG has gone through the last few weeks. But still feeling incredibly frustrated.

Have fun everyone!

• DiskJunky and Sha'nie like this

#42 Hatered

Hatered

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

How to claim your early access key?

#43 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

How frustrating is this: I'm logged in to Steam, have  it opened, but I cant download DFC because I forgot my password, and there's no redeem option. Aaargh......

About as frustrating as being under the gross misconception that it will be possible to play the game early without intentionally infecting your copy of Windows with DRM, only to find out that the promises of a DRM-free game do not extend to early access.

#44 ElweSingollo

ElweSingollo

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:53

Awesome should be downloaded in time for me to get up tommorrow and I have a whole 3 days off work in which to savour the experience :D.  Excellent work guys!!

• Sha'nie likes this

"O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

#45 maDSaint

maDSaint

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:54

About as frustrating as being under the gross misconception that it will be possible to play the game early without intentionally infecting your copy of Windows with DRM.

Explain yourself, please.

#46 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:55

Ragnar - maybe update first post with link to the "how to redeem humble" link thingie?

could do that, of course, but I don't feel that mod-confident yet, and I know you're watching :P

Edit: (as of now) he's no longer watching. And I'll be brave and add the link to the OP. IIh.

• wandrew, khh, trentjaspar and 4 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#47 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Congrats, RTG! Now it's time for your much needed sleep time. :)

• Sha'nie likes this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#48 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

About as frustrating as being under the gross misconception that it will be possible to play the game early without intentionally infecting your copy of Windows with DRM.

Guys, I get that it's frustrating but the whole DRM discussion has been had...repeatidly :) Needless to say, there are varying opinions and RTG did their best to please everyone - and impossible and thankless task. Steam had early access as no doubt, it was easiest to work with. Other versions/methods will follow. Good things come to those who wait :)

• trentjaspar, mrKnask, aeonfluxx75 and 1 other like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#49 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:56

Steam games include DRM, no?

• Vainamoinen likes this

#50 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:57

Not exactly. As I said, this discussion has been had. Steam makes sure that it's tied to an account but it's not necessarily protected once it's downloaded. I'd guess not as a GOG version will be released soon. Also, once downloaded, you do *not* need to be online to play, nor does it continue to check as far as I know. Does this answer your question?

• Igelwelt likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#51 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:58

How frustrating is this: I'm logged in to Steam, have  it opened, but I cant download DFC because I forgot my password, and there's no redeem option. Aaargh......

https://support.stea...2#noaccountname

Have you tried this?

• wandrew likes this
:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#52 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:59

I didn't read anything about this in the kickstarter updates. I guess the DRM issue was a forum-only topic. I've been quite busy lately and haven't had the time to check the forum. I don't remember DRM ever being mentioned aside from promises that the game will not include it. In any case, it's frustrating, but I can wait.

#53 ElweSingollo

ElweSingollo

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:00

In the sense that having to have a steam account and using the steam client is DRM yes additional DRM over and above that generally no although Ubisoft games to tend to have an extra layer of DRM over and above what just having a steam account/using the steam client entails.

But at the end of the day if you do not wish to use steam no one is forcing you to you can DL DRM free from humble/gog you will unfortunately have a little longer wait but they have said they are still on schedule for release on those platforms so hopefully you will not have too long a wait.

"O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you."

#54 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:02

EDIT: (and P.S.) Guys, please do NOT spoil the game for those peoples who still have to wait another 16-18 hours for the official launch! We beg you!

Or for those of us (Me basically) who are waiting for the eventual PS4 release. ;)

*The Patience of a Guardian*

• popcorngal, chiccats and Sha'nie like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#55 claralyn

claralyn

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

AHH! Created an account just to post my excitement.

Yesssss. It begins.

• trentjaspar, Em_TC, DiskJunky and 3 others like this

#56 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Great! If I only remembered my Steam password. Frusrtrations x1.000.000.000.000.

I had the same problem trying to access it from my google chrome browser, but you can use the steam browser and copy your link there (it wil work if you are connected automatically by opening steam). 

Hope it helps someone :)

• Igelwelt likes this

#57 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:03

Not exactly. As I said, this discussion has been had. Steam makes sure that it's tied to an account but it's not necessarily protected once it's downloaded. I'd guess not as a GOG version will be released soon. Also, once downloaded, you do *not* need to be online to play, nor does it continue to check as far as I know. Does this answer your question?

I suppose it does. I've had a really nasty run-in with DRM in the past and refuse to ever install it again under any circumstance. I knew Steam was protected, and thought it was protected by DRM, but if not... I don't know. I might put up with Steam, as long as I still have the option to download the game on its own later. Will we be able to download it directly through Humble Bundle or will we have to use GOG?

#58 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

I didn't read anything about this in the kickstarter updates. I guess the DRM issue was a forum-only topic. I've been quite busy lately and haven't had the time to check the forum. I don't remember DRM ever being mentioned aside from promises that the game will not include it. In any case, it's frustrating, but I can wait.

It was a bone of contention whether or not the mere use of Steam constitutes "DRM". It's not necessarily used as DRM, in DFC's case, it's a content delivery system. It's not a DRM system in the sense that it'll be constantly checking with a server to see if you're allowed play. At the same time, it links you to an account - so does GOG and Humble Bundle though they provide different download mechanisms. Personally, I don't see Steam as DRM. But that's me. You opinion may vary :)

• Igelwelt likes this

#59 TheDreamfallen

TheDreamfallen

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, USA

Perfect timing! Just put the baby to bed and ran in here to check the forums! This is the best news ever! 

P.S. Does posting playthroughs on YouTube count as spoiling?

• Sha'nie likes this

April's dead.

My blog, (including reviews on DFC and other games and tech): https://gexpblog.wor.../tag/dreamfall/

#60 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:04

I suppose it does. I've had a really nasty run-in with DRM in the past and refuse to ever install it again under any circumstance. I knew Steam was protected, and thought it was protected by DRM, but if not... I don't know. I might put up with Steam, as long as I still have the option to download the game on its own later. Will we be able to download it directly through Humble Bundle or will we have to use GOG?

If this is the case DO NOT DOWNLOAD VIA STEAM! RTG have stated that you can pick one or the other but not both. In your situation, wait for the GOG release :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users