TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:17

No, you didn't! ;)

48 hours, maybe.

Say what you want, but frankly I dont care :)

#42 Endril

Endril

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:18

It all comes down to principles with me :) I paid for 72 hour early access and that promise wasnt fulfilled. That hurts a bit, im not going to sugarcoat it. I wish the compensation will be awesome :)

You can argue that you'll get more then 72 hours in total (first 4 episodes), but broken promises always hurt.

Some people (in GoG/Steam) are getting a bit "restless" about the promised (for today) Journey's Birth stories (included in the Special Editions).  :(

I know it's not important at all compared to finishing the game in time (and hopefully those people are few) but it's still unecessary "bad publicity".

I can skip those goodies (and wait for them at a later date), but not releasing an early edition will be bad publicity, no matter how you wanna sugarcoat it. They still have 45 minutes to launch it on the (latest) promised date, but it's getting more and more improbable; not to mention they said "4 hours delay" and those have already passed. As a company, why push for an October release I'll never understand; just for getting the game sooner then the deadline? A bit stupid...

#43 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:20

I think the point that V was making wasn't that you weren't promised early access, but rather that you were promised 48 hour early access, originally. Not 72.

...Not that the distinction really matters all that much, at this point, but if we're going to argue on principles, we may as well have the facts straight. 

• Chocobo_sage and trentjaspar like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#44 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:22

You can argue that you'll get more then 72 hours in total (first 4 episodes), but broken promises always hurt.

I can skip those goodies (and wait for them at a later date), but not releasing an early edition will be bad publicity, no matter how you wanna sugarcoat it. They still have 45 minutes to launch it on the (latest) promised date, but it's getting more and more improbable; not to mention they said "4 hours delay" and those have already passed. As a company, why push for an October release I'll never understand; just for getting the game sooner then the deadline? A bit stupid...

The phrase "it seemed like a good idea at the time" is surprisingly apt. Speaking as a developer, it's not always possible to deliver on time - stuff just comes up, no matter how well you plan. In these situations it is always better to delay and get a working product out - even if it costs goodwill and sales - as it's preferable to the alternative of shipping a defective product. Imagine the backlash for that. :) The delay is annoying but understandable. Patience! :)

• Bruno, Endril and Eccotd like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#45 Endril

Endril

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:22

No, you didn't! ;)

48 hours, maybe.

According to what Ragnar Tornquist implied in a quite recent post/interview, we did :P. He said 2-3 days, when he already knew the game would be episodic. I know, he probably got cornered and should have never said it, but those words did raise a few hopes...

#46 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:24

According to what Ragnar Tornquist implied in a quite recent post/interview, we did :P. He said 2-3 days, when he already knew the game would be episodic. I know, he probably got cornered and should have never said it, but those words did raise a few hopes...

Chill! :) It comes when it comes. I know it's frustrating but it'll come :)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#47 Endril

Endril

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:25

The phrase "it seemed like a good idea at the time" is surprisingly apt. Speaking as a developer, it's not always possible to deliver on time - stuff just comes up, no matter how well you plan. In these situations it is always better to delay and get a working product out - even if it costs goodwill and sales - as it's preferable to the alternative of shipping a defective product. Imagine the backlash for that. :) The delay is annoying but understandable. Patience! :)

Yes, I am not a developer, but I agree with you 100% ! Much bigger companies delayed games and we survived.

Still, RedThreadGames put themselves with the back against the wall - they weren't forced by anyone to ship the game in October, that's what I'm saying. They only have themselves to blame.

• DiskJunky likes this

#48 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:28

Oh, absolutely! And they acknowledge it too in their updates which stands to them I think - they're aware of it :)

#49 Endril

Endril

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Chill! :) It comes when it comes. I know it's frustrating but it'll come :)

Yeah, and I'm not frustrated anymore, but sad and disappointed - as real life has a nasty way of intercede, I'll end up playing the game on Thursday. Or maybe on Saturday...

PS: It's half past midnight here, I have to wake up at 6 am, so I should have been sleeping, but I'm still here, hoping against hope :)

• Tina and DiskJunky like this

#50 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Ragnar did say so, this is true, but he was mistaken. If you check the kickstarter page, only 48 hours was promised.

• DiskJunky likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#51 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2421 posts
  • LocationLondon

The phrase "it seemed like a good idea at the time" is surprisingly apt. Speaking as a developer, it's not always possible to deliver on time - stuff just comes up, no matter how well you plan. In these situations it is always better to delay and get a working product out - even if it costs goodwill and sales - as it's preferable to the alternative of shipping a defective product. Imagine the backlash for that. :) The delay is annoying but understandable. Patience! :)

^^ this
And, to be honest,?if they had kept to the November date, they might still have had the same type of problems. At some time in a project, you need to define a date. And to be fair, it seems they were very very near to achieving it. Last minute bugs do happen, more often than not (trust me, I've been there...). And it takes courage and respect to backers to try and fix them instead of releasing a flawed product.
  • Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, DiskJunky and 2 others like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#52 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:34

new steam build change! ... hold breath (well not too long cause then I can't play anymore)

• WorldsReunited, DiskJunky and Bruno like this

#53 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:36

new steam build change! ... hold breath (well not too long cause then I can't play anymore)

I know! I've nearly passed out twice already, sheesh! :)

#54 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:38

At this point I don't want to anticipate too much. I just really want the game to be here so that the guys at RTG can get some sleep and rest. Even if it does come out now I will probably only be able to play an hour before I really have to go to bed. So it's not really about my anymore, but more about them.  ;)

• DiskJunky likes this

#55 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:38

As a backer, one has to prioritise in such cases - at least in my opinion. Sure I want all the extras I was promised in exchange for the pledge as soon as possible, but first and foremost I want RTG to release a finished product, so they will get good reviews, lots of people buy the game, and RTG continues to exist as a company and keeps making many awesome games in the future. If I have to wait for a regular release date in exchange, that is a small price to pay (in my eyes. Opinions may differ...)

• WorldsReunited, popcorngal, Kremtopp and 3 others like this

#56 Eccotd

Eccotd

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:39

When you think back to 2000 when all hope we'd for a sequel was a line in the game, at the end, "the balance is not done with you". We really come a long way. So, I personnally really don't care about early access, or even if they take their time to fix bugs or whatever. That the longest journey saga is still alive et continuing is, well, more than enough... For me it's a little miracle. Thank you again Red Thread team.

• WorldsReunited, popcorngal, DiskJunky and 3 others like this

#57 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:43

Now they ONLY have to play through that! (to make sure no bugs are left unsquashed). I shall put my alarm clock to wake me up in 3 hours, then! ;)
(Joking post is joking. RTG must be "oh, the suffering we must endure..." by now)
  • CosmicD, DiskJunky and Eccotd like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#58 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

In fairness, they did call it "The Longest Journey" for a reason ;) It ain't happening quickly! :D

• WorldsReunited, CosmicD and Eccotd like this

#59 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

well if it's not to day, I'd be a bit dissapointed (who doesn't want to play tonight ?) But I'm afraid they might get a shitstorm by other backers if it's like "early access 2 hours before release", As a mature backer/player who sees all sides of the story, you can swallow that if you think about how franticly they had to work to make a solid release, but some others aren't going to, you can see that coming.

#60 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:44

Now they ONLY have to play through that! (to make sure no bugs are left unsquashed). I shall put my alarm clock to wake me up in 3 hours, then! ;)
(Joking post is joking. RTG must be "oh, the suffering we must endure..." by now)

I think they were at that point last week ;) God only knows where their brains are at now...

• Eccotd likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users