+ twists and turns
+ mysteries
+ supernatural stuff
+ this game has a soul

- too short!
- it feels like a begining of something much bigger
- never explored "the secret of the mine"
- "to be continued" formula

Ragnar and Red Thread Games did it again. Its great game.

8/10
  • Teller and MaxCrackfield like this

#2 Thandal

Thandal

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTerra Singularem

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:45

Bought the game at release (been on my GOG Wish List forever....)

Didn't fire it up until this weekend.

Playing "One Day per day", so just finished Day Three an hour ago.

Initial Impressions:

• Impressionist.  Mood and mode are the main focus.  "Dark" is the correct adjective.
  • Designed to move slowly... And does.  (As in, "in-game movement is slow.")
  • Myst-like in its mechanics (Am I dating myself there?)
  • Getting very tired of hearing "old bean", and "old sport".  (Strangely, "Betty" doesn't grate.  Yet...)
  • Hauntingly beautiful solo voice piece at the open.

We'll see what the future holds for Edward and Alice. :mellow:

#3 Thandal

Thandal

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTerra Singularem

Posted 01 July 2019 - 13:48

Well, finished the last Day. :unsure:

Was the ending... rushed? 

What *did* happen at the mine?

What did Ruth find there 20 years later?

What really happened to Ruth on the cliff?

And did anyone else have flashbacks to "Blink"?

I know you're supposed to "leave 'em wanting more", but this seemed to be:

a. such a departure from the original concept, and;

b. hurriedly "wrapped up to get out it the door".

Still, loved the visuals and the score.

6/10

#4 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 20:07

The game over all is a little more than an interactive movie. It's not an adventure game...and it's not really a choice driven game. The story is the game's main selling point. The story starts off well. You actually start caring about the characters, even though your actual influence over the story...and contributions to moving the narrative along are very very.... minimal... You really do start to care for the girl and feel like you're part of the story. I really did care and found myself thinking, take care of the girl who cares about your lost sister? This little girl needs your love... I wanted to protect her... Shouting out her name was actually giving me anxiety...what if she didn't come back, where is she? Has she run off again?

The backdrop of murder really had me tense. I was really getting into it... and all the sudden... 

The game takes a dramatic turn. No doubt to try to and surprise the player, throw something unexpected at them. But, it just ended up derailing everything that the first half of the game worked towards building for me.  I no longer knew what the hell was going on... the girl I cared about was just a figment of the imagination, an alternate personality...

The creative decision to take the game in this direction is fine. I can appreciate it but honestly I would have rather had just a straight forward story. You have a mystery, within a mystery in this game and that doesn't really work well... One mystery is really enough for a story like this.  A mystery within a mystery is just bonkers... 

Players don't know what to make of it. He apparently has some sort of psychological issues...neat twist but it didn't really feel fulfilling... it just didn't hit the mark for me. I would have rather had a suspense driven game that stuck to just one "mystery". Having it all be psychosis was just too much for me. Though, it does inspire some interesting thought. 

Anyhow... the art style is beautiful. The tension created was awesome but it quickly turns to confusion and once it's explained it still doesn't really bring you much satisfaction... 

If I had to rate the game over all... I'd give it a 6.5 or a 7 out of 10.  The twist is exposed and it really just concludes in a very unfulfilling way...and it's only really worth one play through. It's like watching a movie on Netflix or something. A once over is really all you're going to need. 

I have mad respect for Ragnar because of TLJ (The first one) but I didn't really fall in love with this one. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users