13 replies to this topic

#1 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:45

Greetings Forum Goer!

With the release of Dreamfall: Chapters imminent, we saw it fit to post up some general guidelines in regards to spoilers and this forum.

We understand that many people are going to want to discuss the game, but not everyone is able to play at the same pace and some members may be waiting to play the game for various reasons. So we ask that you please be respectful and exercise a small amount of restraint when it comes to discussing the plot of Dreamfall: Chapters.

First and foremost, please contain all plot based discussions to the DFC Story & Lore (Spoiler Warning!) subforum.

Second, please keep spoilers out of thread titles. This may be difficult, but do your best. (If you're unsure how to word something, you can always ask!)

Beyond that, we offer up a few simple guidelines:

1. Please keep spoilers and plot discussions out of the Off Topic area.
  2. Be mindful of the distinction between the TLJ Saga discussion section and the DFC discussion section. 
  3. Remember that plot points from TLJ/Dreamfall will likely NOT be considered spoilers in the DFC discussion area. Use caution if that's a concern. 
  4. As additional Books role out, please do your best to mark what Book a spoiler is tied to. We may update and revise this policy as later Books draw closer.  
  5. We have spoiler tags, so don't be afraid to use them.
  6. When in doubt, see point 5. 
  7. Understand that Mods may edit and/or move your posts as needed. This isn't anything personal, so don't worry if it happens to you!
  8. While the Moderation team will do everything we can to keep spoilers quarantined, things may still slip out. If you're extremely spoiler-phobic, please browse with caution. 
  9. Be respectful and reasonable. 

If you are unsure how to use Spoiler tags, it’s really simple!

[spoiler] YOUR SPOILER TEXT GOES HERE [/spoiler] 

Would give you:

Spoiler

You can also access this by using the "Insert Special BBCode" button. 

This spoiler policy is going up all across the forum, but most of these topics will be locked in order to keep discussion on the policy organized. If you have questions about the policy, please do so in this thread.

Thank you, and as always, be excellent to each other!

--Your Moderation Team--

• Martin, Tina, Jecica and 8 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:07

6. When in doubt, see point 6

Did I miss a very clever joke here ?

edit: feel free to remove this after you edit the OP ;)
  • WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and trentjaspar like this

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:08

Did I miss a very clever joke here ?

*sigh* This is what I get for doing this late at night. I edited the points, but forgot to change that. Will fix. 

Also, apologies for spamming the forum with this, but after discussing it with Morten, we agreed it'd be best to post it up everywhere so as many people see it as possible. 

EDIT: In response to your edit, it's fine. Everyone can point and laugh at my oops. :P

• Chocobo_sage, WorldsReunited, Riaise and 2 others like this

#4 Gezzas

Gezzas

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVilnius, Lithuania

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:02

4. As additional Books role out, please do your best to mark what Book a spoiler is tied to. We may update and revise this policy as later Books draw closer.  

In Legend of Korra subreddit ( /r/TheLastAirbender/ ) they use tags like this [B4E1] in the title to note that there could be spoilers from that episode. Actually spoiler policy is quite extreme there. Not only they mark previous seasons (which are called books, go figure), but also non spoilery links and discussions with [No Spoilers].

I think it would be great idea to write tag [Book 1] in title when thread contains spoilers from DFC: Book 1. Actually, I think it is good idea to start this policy with Book 1, otherwise we end up having a bunch of unmarked Book 1 spoiler threads.

• Jecica, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 3 others like this

#5 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:21

Tagging your spoiler is a great idea.

#6 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:44

ERIKA! <3

*bows*

• Chocobo_sage, agirlnamedbob and trentjaspar like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#7 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:10

In Legend of Korra subreddit ( /r/TheLastAirbender/ ) they use tags like this [B4E1] in the title to note that there could be spoilers from that episode. Actually spoiler policy is quite extreme there. Not only they mark previous seasons (which are called books, go figure), but also non spoilery links and discussions with [No Spoilers].

I think it would be great idea to write tag [Book 1] in title when thread contains spoilers from DFC: Book 1. Actually, I think it is good idea to start this policy with Book 1, otherwise we end up having a bunch of unmarked Book 1 spoiler threads.

I think this is a great idea!  :)

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 14:47

I like the tagging idea as well. Once I work out a few other details, I'll be sure to add something like this to the policy in preparation for Book 2 (thankfully we have a little time before it's going to be a huge worry).

I know I was on another forum where you had the ability edit the "name" of your spoiler. So instead of it just saying "Spoiler" you could make it say "Book 1 Spoiler" or "Chapter 3 Spoiler" or whatever. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that here. It might be possible that it's something Morten can look into after Crunch Time is over. 

#9 OldDarth

OldDarth

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 14:50

Excellent ideas!

Thanks Erika et al.

The dream never dies.

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 October 2014 - 15:40

I know I was on another forum where you had the ability edit the "name" of your spoiler. So instead of it just saying "Spoiler" you could make it say "Book 1 Spoiler" or "Chapter 3 Spoiler" or whatever. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that here. It might be possible that it's something Morten can look into after Crunch Time is over. 

It isn't currently possible, but it Morten should be able to add it. (When he has spare time. Which I bet is "never" :P)

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 19 October 2014 - 15:45

Having these rules when you have a nice relatively small almost hardcore fan base as pretty much the only ones on the forum, is one thing.
But as soon as the game is released ppl will show up and just posted anything they want under whatever forum they think fits.
Then when the console mob show up, who knows.

In reality I think it will be just too complicated, and no one will take the time to read all that info. Noone even reads the FAQ before posting the same 2 or 3 questions/points over and over again.

#12 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 15:51

This is true, but even if it catches two or three people, it's worth it. I also think it'll be easier for the Mods if we have something to point to when we do spoiler based moderation.

I don't expect this to totally fix the spoiler issue. I just think having it is better than not having it.
  • Tina and Riaise like this

#13 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 October 2014 - 16:22

I agree with what Erika said. Having the "rules" in place, means it will be much easier for us mods to deal with it. At least for me, since I then will feel much easier about moving threads and/or changing thread titles. Before, it's felt a bit uncomfortable because there was no "guidelines". I like guidelines :)

So no, it won't solve the problem, but it absolutely makes it easier to deal with the problem.

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:06

Just popping in here with a quick note to let people know that some revisions to spoiler policy will be posted Soon™. (I...uh...meant to write them this weekend, but I got sick and then busy.) 

As we prepare for the launch of Book Two, it seems like as good a time as any to update a few things and remind people to be respectful and reasonable. 

The moderating team have discussed matters, and by and large, we're going to keep things more or less the same. 

The only real changes will be as follows: 

1.) With the exception of spoilery thread titles, we likely won't be expending much effort policing spoilers in the Spoiler Section. We do encourage people to use tags as they see fit (particularly for major plot points) and try to warn people about spoilers from sections of the game they may not have reached, but you enter the Spoiler Section at your own peril. It says spoilers on it. Don't say we didn't warn you. 

2.) For the purposes of the Announcements + What Has RTG Been Up To? areas, we will not be considering any officially released information or promotional materials to be spoilers. This covers trailers, screen shots, character profiles, etc. We will do our best to keyword tag updates that contain these items and otherwise make it clear as to the content if you wish to avoid that sort of thing. 

If you have any questions / comments /concerns about the above, feel free to post here or PM a member of the moderating team. 

• Tina, khh and Bruno like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users