Photo

JIVA sanscrit or australian aboriginal roots?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Margo

Margo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMoscow,Russia

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:18

I searched for 'jiva' and find this:

In Hinduism  and Jainism, a jiva  is a living being, or more specifically, the immortal essence or soul of a living organism (human, animal, fish or plant etc.) which survives physical death.

The Australian Aborigines speak of jiva or guruwari, a seed power deposited in the earth. In the Aboriginal world view, every meaningful activity, event, or life process that occurs at a particular place leaves behind a vibrational residue in the earth, as plants leave an image of themselves as seeds. The shape of the land - its mountains, rocks, riverbeds, and water holes - and its unseen vibrations echo the events that brought that place into creation. Everything in the natural world is a symbolic footprint of the metaphysical beings whose actions created our world. As with a seed, the potency of an earthly location is wedded to the memory of its origin.

So I wonder which one of this two meanings Helena Chang's company name is refering to?

• wandrew likes this

#2 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 17 October 2014 - 23:47

While obviously Dreamfall has numerous aboriginal references (Eingana, the Storytime, etc.) it is almost certainly that Jiva refers to hinduism, because we are told that in the Dreamfall universe, Jiva (and most of the biggest biotechnology companies) are located in India (that why Zoe's father has to go to Bombay for a professional meeting).

• wandrew and spyked like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#3 whittard_mt

whittard_mt

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 13:07

http://youtu.be/xESTthhLLpE?t=1m10s

Ragnar explains in the video above, about 1:10 in, where the naming for JIVA came from.

• Bruno likes this

#4 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 18 October 2014 - 14:35

Oh, wow, I was totally wrong (and I had watched that playthrough but didn't remember them saying that).

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#5 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:33

Thanks for reminding me, I'd completely forgotten that part of the stream. Have to go update the wiki!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users