#1 te36

te36

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 07 December 2018 - 17:29

First time i am trying to install DFC on windows 10. Been playing it on windows 7/nvidia-GPU and MacBookPro.

Unfortunately, it just starts up, icon shows up in task bar, but nothing shows up and then it faults:

Command line shows:

Mono path[0] = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Mono/etc'
Segmentation fault

nothing pops up (windows firewall, windows virus protection or the like...)

Latest version of DFC windows 64 bit from GOG

Kodlix GL41 mini PC: N4100 1.1Ghz CPU = Intel UHD600 graphics, 8GB RAM (6GByte free when starting DFC).

Windows 10 Pro on SSD, indows update says system is up to date (no idea where to find details).

I would not expect that DFC would be fast with Intel GPU, I was just curious how well it would work at all. If its not supported hardware, I would have expected something else than segfault. So I guess there is a fixable problem, just not sure what.

Any troubleshooting suggestions welcome

#2 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 December 2018 - 20:03

You should now have a file named output_log.txt in the folder where the game is installed. It may shine some light on what happens before the crash. Look at description here. Just don't send a mail to RTG, they will never reply. :(

The UHD600 GPU should support DirectX 12, and as far as I know, the game uses DirectX 11 or optionally DirectX 9.

Edited by Mr Moo, 10 December 2018 - 20:04.

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7116 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2018 - 22:48

If you installed the game through steam, I'd try verifying the game cache. My first thought is that this is a corruption issue. 

I'm guessing you're maybe not getting to the stage where you're seeing the logfile being generated? Although this doesn't sound like a GPU-related problem, mono is the scripting engine that unity uses.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 te36

te36

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 25 December 2018 - 18:48

I only get this log file when i start the program as administrator.

Last output in the file:

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.
XInput1_3.dll not found. Trying XInput9_1_0.dll instead...
<RI> Input initialized.
desktop: 800x600 50Hz; virtual: 800x600 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.
UnloadTime: 7.529300 ms

no idea what to do next.

#5 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:49

Sorry for late reply, Christmas and other stuff came up.

You may try adding the option -force-d3d9 to the shortcut/launcher - to start DFC in DirectX9 mode. It may or may not work better or at all, I'm really not sure. Remember putting a space between .exe and  -force-d3d9 if you edit the shortcut directly.

800x600 50Hz is a very uncommon resolution and refresh rate these days, but I don't know if this would make the game refuse to start or not, and I won't reinstall the game just to see. Your computer apparently supports up to 4096 x 2160 at 60Hz. I would recommend trying 1920x1080 60Hz which I know works well with pretty much everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users