Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 September 2018 - 13:07

[link to KS update]

Kickstarter update for September 2018

"Delays, delays, delays — games, updates, shipments…life."

Hello.

It took most of spring and summer, but we’ve shipped boxes out to almost all $110 tier
backers. A few of you have still not updated or confirmed your contact information or
shipping addresses; we’ve tried to connect to arrange for shipment, please get back to us if
you haven’t already.

If you pledged at the Journeyman Edition tier and confirmed your address earlier this year,
but your box hasn’t arrived, please get in touch via the contact information listed here:

https://www.redthrea...es.com/backers/

(As always, keep that link bookmarked for the latest updates.)

The team is continuing their work on the $200+ tier rewards. As usual, it’s taking longer than
anticipated, partly because of the amount of work involved in the first batch, partly because
we’ve underestimated the amount of work involved in the second batch.

We’ve also made life slightly more difficult for ourselves by increasing the page count and
complexity of the printed materials. The Tome of the Balance has tripled in size, mostly
because of the amount of art and lore we want to include. This is, after all, the culmination of
almost six years of development…and we only get to do this once.

To make matters worse (for us; better for y’all) we’ve decided to combine the various books
into one massive opus: the new and expanded Tome of the Balance is currently around 400
pages long (though this could change in the coming weeks) divided in two halves — Stark
and Arcadia — and will be printed on premium paper with a beautiful cover. We think you’ll
be happy with the end result.

This has, of course, necessitated a redesign of the boxes to fit the Tome and the other
materials. (Did we mention how we’ve made things more difficult for ourselves?)

Here’s a sample page-spread from the upgraded Tome:

b721bab6b113cb9daf23d5ae4e445998_origina

We plan to print everything in October. Shipping will commence after that.

T-shirts: we won’t be offering any new designs for sale. We’ve had terrible luck with printing
partners, the quality's been below par, and we simply can’t handle the logistics. Backers
who didn’t originally receive their shirts are getting new ones, but that will be it — at least
for the foreseeable future.

In non-backer rewards related news, we’re also working on a game.

Draugen — a first-person mystery set in 1920s Norway — is due out next year on PC and
consoles, and there’s a new trailer arriving in October. To stay updated, you can visit the
game’s homepage (www.draugengame.com) or follow one of our many social media
channels (see below).

If you liked Dreamfall, you might like Draugen. It’s a very different game, but the red thread is
narrative, characters and dialogue. Even if you don’t play first-person exploration games, you
should check out the trailer when it arrives — it could be that this is the one first-person
exploration game you actually end up playing.

Thanks for reading!

Red Thread Games

www.twitter.com/redthreadgames
www.twitter.com/draugengame
www.facebook.com/redthreadgames
www.facebook.com/draugengame
www.youtube.com/redthreadgaming

• Valiah, Indrid Cold and WhiteKin like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#2 WhiteKin

WhiteKin

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 19:51

I can't wait to see the page about the symbol or talisman of the balance. It's there, right? :wub:

#3 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:09

Draugen — a first-person mystery set in 1920s Norway — is due out next year on PC

PCs that run Linux, or only PCs that run Windows?

#4 Azthmehr

Azthmehr

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:55

I still have not gotten my boxed Journeyman Edition, despite Red Thread's claim in this Kickstarter update that they got them out to almost all of their $110 tier backers.  In fact, I didn't donate to that tier, but the $125 tier, and it's not mentioned anywhere in the update, and when I went to look at the Kickstarter page recently, it was conspicuously absent.  I wasn't then nor now made of money, so I wouldn't have donated $125 over $110 if there weren't some considerable greater reward for doing so.

I sent them this email at the contact information they listed, and have heard nothing back (left off my address in this post) -

Subject: Dreamfall Chapters Boxed Journeyman Edition Not Received

Just got the email update where you said you shipped the boxes out to almost everyone, but I haven't gotten mine.  

$110 tier was mentioned, but not the $125 tier which I donated for.  I donated that much because it must have been a substantial reward that you would get over the $110 tier, but the $125 tier doesn't even appear on the Kickstarter page now.

In any case, I should at least be getting the Boxed Journeyman Edition.  My address was already confirmed as well.

I have been very patient and understanding with the setbacks and other unforeseen mishaps that have gone on behind the scenes, but it's getting to the point where I'm wondering if I'm going to be getting my physical game copy.  Unless they think I donated to the $200 dollar tier, since I got the update about the Wonkers USB key.  But, being the honest person I am, I didn't feel right just sitting back and getting something I wasn't entitled to nor paid for, especially when it might mean someone else didn't get the stuff they paid for.  Of course, if I sat back and said nothing, I could also still just never get anything.  I have no proof of this theory, just a guess, since I got that email about the Wonkers thing.

I also see that they seem to have removed the forum link from their website, and in previous threads I read they said that Ragnar ignores anyone who asks about Dreamfall Chapters rewards on Twitter.  It does not inspire confidence, to say the least.

At least the game is good?  Or so I hear?  I still haven't been able to play it.  My computer turned out to be too under-powered to handle it.  It can't even get through the opening cutscene without constant unwatchable buffering.  I can't imagine what the actual game would be like.  And in any case, this game series is story driven.  I'm not going to play a TLJ/Dreamfall game without cinematics.  I, of course, have not had the money to buy a new computer, and every time I try to buy a PS4, either some financial setback happens, or we have to pay for something essential, or some other BS happens.  It's really quite frustrating. 

I fell in love with this series and the genre of Adventure games late in the game, when I happened upon a copy of Dreamfall for Xbox on the shelves at Game Crazy.  After that I got the set with TLJ and Dreamfall for PC.  Love both of those games.  Also got a game called Syberia II for Xbox which was quite fun.  I had dreamed of years for a sequel to Dreamfall, that cliffhanger had me really wanting to see what would happen next, how things would turn out.  So it saddens me that I'm not only unable to play Dreamfall Chapters after all this time, but the developers who I thought cared about their fans and about this game series, don't seem too keen on honoring their word and giving us what was promised.  I didn't donate to this Kickstarter lightly.  As I said, I'm fairly poor.  Games are an expensive hobby and I have to pick what I want to play and what systems very carefully and deliberately, much of which I buy used these days.  My last console purchase was a Wii U.  I do sincerely hope this is just some sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding and that that email is bad or something, and not that Red Thread is simply blowing off fans and hoping no one notices or cares because of the relatively small fanbase for TLJ/Dreamfall and Adventure games overall.  Either way, I hope there is a good explanation for this.  Thanks for your time and I hope we can get to the bottom of this and get me and possibly others their game boxes and possible other physical rewards.

• popcorngal and ChrisR like this

#5 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:16

Azthmehr, I'm sorry about your situation, I feel you. 

However I think you're lucky in a way that you haven't played Dreamfall Chapters yet. I'm saying this because this game ruined the franchise for me, I had way too many issues with it in terms of plot, puzzles, etc, which is heartbreaking for me since first 2 games meant a world to me, they were so much more than just games for me. Now I don't think I can even play them again. I'm not saying the game was entirely bad, it had its moments, but overall it was a huge disappointment.

I used to have so much faith in Ragnar. I guess there can't be many masterpieces. He has created 2, maybe that's it.

Probably it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's my honest opinion. A number of people did enjoy the game though.

#6 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 30 November 2018 - 23:39

Does anyone know what happened to Wonkers?

• popcorngal likes this

#7 WhiteKin

WhiteKin

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 17:12

I am also wondering, why they don't simply upload the digital Tome of the Balance? If it is currently 400 pages long, that sounds perfect, right? That would be like no effort at all and I'd love to read it!

Maybe they need to get Draugen out before they can send out any more backer rewards?

• MisterMetropolis likes this

#8 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 03 December 2018 - 00:47

The problem is that Ragnar didn't just use our money to make what he said he'd make; he allocated it to other projects too. Hence the mysterious cuts, missing content, and steadfast refusals ever to acknowledge the same. There are no more excuses to give, so now he's buggered off. A sadly familiar tale.

• Azthmehr likes this

#9 Azthmehr

Azthmehr

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:51

Azthmehr, I'm sorry about your situation, I feel you. 

However I think you're lucky in a way that you haven't played Dreamfall Chapters yet. I'm saying this because this game ruined the franchise for me, I had way too many issues with it in terms of plot, puzzles, etc, which is heartbreaking for me since first 2 games meant a world to me, they were so much more than just games for me. Now I don't think I can even play them again. I'm not saying the game was entirely bad, it had its moments, but overall it was a huge disappointment.

I used to have so much faith in Ragnar. I guess there can't be many masterpieces. He has created 2, maybe that's it.

Probably it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's my honest opinion. A number of people did enjoy the game though.

That's... unfortunate.  I do hope the game isn't quite that bad for me when/if I ever get the chance to play it.  It supposedly got good critic and user reviews.  Though it's kind of tainted by all this mess, so not sure how much I look forward to it even if the game is better for me than it was for you.

So a bunch of other people haven't gotten their rewards, either?  Is there any recourse?

Oh, and I emailed RedThread at the email they gave on their twitter, hello@redthreadgames.com and got no response.  No big surprise there.

#10 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 23:50

RTG's behaviour is at best abysmal. The game itself, however, was good as far as I'm concerned. Far from perfect, but the first two were far from perfect as well.

#11 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 04 December 2018 - 20:00

The problem is that Ragnar didn't just use our money to make what he said he'd make; he allocated it to other projects too. Hence the mysterious cuts, missing content, and steadfast refusals ever to acknowledge the same. There are no more excuses to give, so now he's buggered off. A sadly familiar tale.

Show me the proof. You can claim what you want, just like the trumpies do. That doesn't make it truth. In fact, it makes it slander/libel, and I'd be careful doing that too much. Like it or not, you are legally responsible for those claims, and if they wanted to, RTG could take you to court. Not saying they will, but the possibility is there.

#12 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:17

Guys, please...   :)

Ragnar and his team promised us the game, the story conclusion, the rewards...it took years to prepare the game, it (probably) took years to develop the conclusion, it will take (probably) years to get rewards...

But what can you expect from a small team like RTG? Even if they did an extra work, many overtimes, mostly under pressure from the business world and us-players world, they were so limited, do not forget that - and still they made the game real as they promised....and not just an inferior game but a game that could compete with the top games in the market...and mostly because they made the game with love  :)

We are always eager to get everything in no time... with RTG I learnt to be patient and not to lose faith :sotb: 

I hope the same for everyone who has any doubts :rolleyes:

• Philip and MisterMetropolis like this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#13 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 19:28

Guys, please...   :)

Ragnar and his team promised us the game, the story conclusion, the rewards...it took years to prepare the game, it (probably) took years to develop the conclusion, it will take (probably) years to get rewards...

But what can you expect from a small team like RTG? Even if they did an extra work, many overtimes, mostly under pressure from the business world and us-players world, they were so limited, do not forget that - and still they made the game real as they promised....and not just an inferior game but a game that could compete with the top games in the market...and mostly because they made the game with love  :)

We are always eager to get everything in no time... with RTG I learnt to be patient and not to lose faith :sotb:

I hope the same for everyone who has any doubts :rolleyes:

I do agree in regard to the amazing quality provided by such a small team. I've often wondered how in the hell they managed to do so much.

However, as I've stated elsewhere, for me it's the almost complete silence that's whittled away at my faith. I completely understand that with a small team there isn't a lot of time to chit-chat but many questions have gone unanswered. Personally, I'd rather be told that there won't be any more rewards to come rather than going on wondering and hoping. Shit happens, after all! If that's the case, a sincere 'We are sorry,' would go a long way toward soothing ruffled feathers.

• MisterMetropolis, Alcarmo, ChrisR and 1 other like this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 05 December 2018 - 19:40

tbh I have backed even smaller teams that have done a whole kickstarter and delivered, with delays faster than RTG took just to get the digital release out.

#15 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:40

Nicely said, popcorngal :)

I understand your ....let's say.... "ruffleness" :) I guess I just used up all my concerns and complaints during the game development when I had a hard time with some changes, hehe

(and I'm still afraid of the changes that happened after the first release :ph34r: I'm ready to meet them once my box arrives!)

But to see the whole picture - I got the game after all these years, then I got the satisfaction when I played the game and enjoyed it and then I got the warm feeling in my heart that will never leave.....

so now..... I just hope for the reward to find a place in my home (more a wish than a need)

(ok, I'm still too greedy to get the cloth map to be honest... forgive me, Balance :rolleyes:)

• popcorngal likes this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#16 Azthmehr

Azthmehr

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:33

Don't know if anyone else got this email, or if it's been posted elsewhere.  Says it's a project update, but not numbered, so maybe that's why there is no thread. 

Edit - Actually, I see that it is numbered as 116.  It almost seems fortuitous that it happens to come out now.  Feel free to make a new thread and move this post there, if need be.

https://www.kickstar...y/posts/2361348

A quick note on top: we still send updates to all backers, though most of you have already received your rewards. If you don't want to get any more Kickstarter emails, you can unsubscribe by clicking the link at the bottom. And if you want to continue receiving news from Red Thread about future projects — like Draugen (see below) — you can sign up for our newsletter: https://www.redthrea....com/newsletter

Key word there, "most," and I'm not exactly sure that's even the case.  "Some" have gotten their rewards, but we can't say "most," perhaps "many," but certainly not "all."  I do know I was supposed to get a Journeyman Boxed Edition.  I don't know if I'm supposed to get the special edition box or not, since my $125 tier has mysteriously vanished from the Kickstarter page, and I'm not sure I copy-pasted what was there or took a screenshot.  If it was folded in with another tier, I certainly hope it was merged with a higher one and not a lower one.  I did get the emails intended for $110 backers (and it is true that higher tiers are supposed to get everything the lower tiers got, from what I recall,) but I still never got my box... even after this, now, their second claim, that "most" backers received theirs.

Still here?  If so: welcome to another much-anticipated update, as we continue to crawl, ever-so-slowly, towards the finishing line.

Most frequently asked question first: yes, we are still working on the special edition Dreamfall Chapters boxes — and yes, that work is progressing.

In our last update, we mentioned that the Tome of the Balance has grown immensely, both in scope and quality, and it’s now in its final editing stages (all 300+ pages of it).  Here's another in-progress preview:

0df1b16a816f32c715c18ed7c146de4d_origina

Given previous experiences, we hesitate to provide an exact timeline for printing and shipping. As soon as the printers start rolling, however, we’ll let affected backers know.  At that point, we'll also need to re-confirm shipping addresses, because it’s been a while and people move. (A long while, possibly multiple moves.)

For those of you who keep asking: unfortunately, no, we will not be selling the Tome separately.  We're really sorry about that, but it could be unfair to backers who have waited so long, and it would also be a logistical nightmare.  We're just not equipped to sell physical goods at this point.

In other Red Thread news: a few weeks ago we (re-)announced our upcoming game, Draugen — a first-person Fjord Noir mystery set in 1920s Norway — with a teaser trailer.  You can watch that trailer on YouTube and you can learn more about Draugen on our website.  If you like what you see, please consider wish-listing the game on Steam or on GOG.com.  It helps us a ton, and you get to stay informed about the release date — which is some time in 2019.

Draugen wouldn't exist without Dreamfall Chapters, and Dreamfall wouldn't exist without you folks. So thanks again for your support: we really, really appreciate it.

No offense, but I don't really care about Draugen.  I didn't care about The Secret World, either, that MMO that was supposedly supposed to be "unlike any MMO you've ever seen before."  How many times have gamers heard that, by the way?  I'm a fan of The Longest Journey/Dreamfall, not of Red Thread or Ragnar and company's work in general, and I especially am not inclined to play any more of their games after the way we've been treated in regards to Dreamfall Chapters.  So it's more than a little annoying to have these other games shoved in our faces when they haven't even finished their commitments with Chapters yet.

And there you have it, as if it wasn't obvious enough already, Dreamfall Chapters' profits were used to fund Draugen, as opposed to using them to finish the rewards.  If they can find time and money to make whole other games, surely they can finish up with the rewards and give us what was promised?

#17 Azthmehr

Azthmehr

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:40

Show me the proof. You can claim what you want, just like the trumpies do. That doesn't make it truth. In fact, it makes it slander/libel, and I'd be careful doing that too much. Like it or not, you are legally responsible for those claims, and if they wanted to, RTG could take you to court. Not saying they will, but the possibility is there.

It's not really "slander" or "libel" when the developers admit to it themselves, plus it's obvious to see and is just common sense.  To put simply, it's what's happened.  

https://www.kickstar...y/posts/2361348

Draugen wouldn't exist without Dreamfall Chapters, and Dreamfall wouldn't exist without you folks. So thanks again for your support: we really, really appreciate it.

I talked to one of my friends about this.  If anything, a class-action lawsuit should be brought against Red Thread for defrauding the Kickstarter backers for not using the money for its intended purpose, or giving us what was promised.  It would be more money and trouble than it's worth, almost certainly, though.  I am kind of surprised that a wealthy backer has not done something of the sort.  Of course, just because someone donated to a high tier, doesn't mean they were wealthy.  They could have saved the money or set it aside.  Also, even if you had the money, that doesn't mean you want to go through the mess of taking someone to court, even if they deserve it.  It is what it is, I guess.

Also, Red Thread would actually have to look at this forum to see the supposed slander and libel, lol.

#18 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 07 December 2018 - 21:23

when the developers admit to it themselves, 

I don't think you understand the meaning they put into the things you quoted. You just choose to read it with the meaning you prefer...

• Chocobo_sage and Philip like this

#19 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 15:56

Slander/libel threats, lol. First they'd have to explain why there's still no Norwegian version even though it was a condition of funding they received. RTG would lose and lose big if they ever went near a court.

#20 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 December 2018 - 19:26

Slander/libel threats, lol. First they'd have to explain why there's still no Norwegian version even though it was a condition of funding they received. RTG would lose and lose big if they ever went near a court.

I don't think they are in any way or form required to provide even Norwegian subtitles, as I couldn't find any mention of this when reading the relevant regulations. Then again, I am not a lawyer.

I do, however, think it's pretty appalling not to make this translation when the effort and cost involved should be manageable, even for a small company.

• Chocobo_sage, popcorngal and MisterMetropolis like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rewards, physical rewards, Tome of the Balance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users