#1 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:00

Didn't find a topic like this on this forum, not sure why... Anyhow, as you all know, getting TLJ to play on modern systems is a nightmare (at least for some people). I have spent literal months trying out different approaches, with the most successful entailing the setup of a virtual WinXP machine and installing the game from my old CDs (this only got me to the end of chapter 2, then the game crashed when trying to play the chapter 3 opening cutscene). But then I discovered that some smart folks over at ResidualVM (an offshoot of ScummVM, as far as I can tell) have managed to emulate the old Stark engine, and tried it out.

It turns out, the game is completable in ResidualVM, at least the GOG version (I have tried out the Steam version in it, too, to replicate a bug, but didn't play through it), plus you can play in the full-screen mode without having to mess with the settings, and the engine goes relatively easy on the hardware -- at least less so than a full-blown WinXP VM (which was important to me, since my laptop's cooling system isn't very good). The downside of using ResidualVM is that it uses its own save system, which is incompatible with your old native TLJ saves, so you have to play the whole game from scratch (and even its own saves are incompatible across different versions of the game, like Steam and GOG, and even versions of ResidualVM itself). Plus, I have encountered two major game-breaking bugs, which I will describe below for the posterity, as well as how I worked around them:

Spoiler

Spoiler

So, if you are struggling to get the game running on your machine, give ResidualVM a try. If you encounter a bug and find a workaround for it, let me know and I will add it above...

• Teller, Olstyle and dreamshifter like this

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 August 2018 - 21:01

Interesting info about ResidualVM, never gave it any thought until now.

I find the original game works fine when installed from steam, which has the latest revision. I do run it in windowed mode however, and if need be disable hardware acceleration in the launcher options.

#3 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 21:36

I'm sure we've discussed it in another thread (I brought it up) but I don't think it had a dedicated thread, no.

I've been watching the development, but I've not actually tried it yet. I will once it gets finished.

#4 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:18

I find the original game works fine when installed from steam, which has the latest revision. I do run it in windowed mode however, and if need be disable hardware acceleration in the launcher options.

My version won't even launch, just pops up a "Failed to find Steam." error message and quits when I click on game.exe, even though Steam is running...

I've been watching the development, but I've not actually tried it yet. I will once it gets finished.

From the looks of it, the development is not very active, but as I said, except for those two bugs, the game is well playable already. :-)

#5 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:48

From the looks of it, the development is not very active, but as I said, except for those two bugs, the game is well playable already. :-)

Indeed, but there seem to be some updates now and then: https://github.com/r...r/engines/stark

From the looks of it there's still lots of features to add, even if it's technically playable.

#6 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2018 - 17:44

From the looks of it there's still lots of features to add, even if it's technically playable.

Well, my point is that it's not just "technically" playable, it is fully playable for all intents and purposes, and while additional features are certainly nice to have, if you just want to replay the original game, ResidualVM is IMO the best choice if you're having trouble launching it on modern machines.

#7 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 17:16

They ported this game I think for Iphone/ Ipad products? Though there was never an android release... 

The appealing thing about any game being compatible with a program like Residual VM is that Residual VM is capable of running on several different systems. They make Residual VM for tablets and many other platforms. If you have a moddable PS3 you were able to run Scummvm on it as well as now Residual VM... 

This means that it would be possible to emulate old games on tablets and phones. As older games don't take much to emulate and run and now phones and tablets are stronger than the computers we had growing up. :D 

Residual VM and ScummVm are sought after because of their universality and they can be ran on several different consoles, let alone PCS... 
But, with the recent special editions released for consoles and PCS on steam and the PS network and so on it makes Scummvm  a little less necessary. But there are still games like TLJ where an emulator like Residual VM still has lasting appeal. 

Emulation is dying out with the re-release of old games. With Steam and GOG and now console re-releases....
TLJ on Steam or GOG works fine... but if you want to run it on anything more interesting that's where ResidualVM becomes much more interesting itself. 

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8
There is likely a solution here that is much easier than trying to emulate the game. :D

#8 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1882 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 01 September 2018 - 20:17

Hmmm... I don't recall having a problem with TLJ on my previous computer, but now that I have a new Windows 10 machine you're making me curious if it will work without using this.  I was planning on doing a playthrough of all three games when(if) I get my DFC box.  But maybe I should start now to check.

Thanks for the heads up!

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#9 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 September 2018 - 21:06

TLJ on Steam or GOG works fine...

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8
There is likely a solution here that is much easier than trying to emulate the game. :D

Well, that solves one problem, but the Steam version still didn't run on my main gaming rig, under Win10. All I got was black screen. :-)

Hmmm... I don't recall having a problem with TLJ on my previous computer, but now that I have a new Windows 10 machine you're making me curious if it will work without using this.  I was planning on doing a playthrough of all three games when(if) I get my DFC box.  But maybe I should start now to check.

Thanks for the heads up!

You're welcome. :-) In short, if the game works for you without emulators, more power to you. But if it doesn't, and/or you want to play in full screen, ResidualVM is a good option.

Btw, the second bug I described in the opening post is now fixed in the daily builds.

• Teller likes this

#10 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 22:08

You're welcome. :-) In short, if the game works for you without emulators, more power to you. But if it doesn't, and/or you want to play in full screen, ResidualVM is a good option.

Why is playing in full screen a problem, if it works otherwise?

BTW, it works just fine on my Win10 machine, no problems at all*. But systems vary and games from the late 90s are the worst when it comes to working on different hardware…

*Other that a crash if you go to the outside of the police station before you've been inside, but you can skip that section entirely. This seems to have been a fairly common problem since at least Win7.

#11 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 September 2018 - 22:15

Why is playing in full screen a problem, if it works otherwise?

BTW, it works just fine on my Win10 machine, no problems at all*. But systems vary and games from the late 90s are the worst when it comes to working on different hardware…

It just doesn't run on my Win10 rig, at all. When I launch it, all I get is black screen. :-) I once managed to get the GOG version to show the main menu and play Lady Alvane's opening narration, but all went to black when chapter 1 intro was supposed to play.

#12 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:47

Emulation is dying out with the re-release of old games. With Steam and GOG and now console re-releases....

GOG is often shipping old games using preconfigured emulators. So if anything emulation is evolving.
  • Koveras likes this

#13 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:26

The Longest Journey 4CD English release I have works fine in latest in Windows 10. The installer hung until I closed some applications, but apart from that, it seems to work fine. I also use dgvoodoo as described at https://pcgamingwiki...Longest_Journey

I'll keep ResidualVM in mind if the game stops working.

I also own the 4CD Norwegian release, but I seem to have mislaid it at the moment. It should also work, I hope.

#14 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 15:50

GOG is often shipping old games using preconfigured emulators. So if anything emulation is evolving.

Did you not hear the news?  

https://arstechnica....-lawsuit-fears/

Many feel that this is the beginning of the end of true emulation or that true emulation has already found it's end. Yeah, games are emulated through GOG. I have a few...that's not really relevant to what I'm speaking of. :D

Emulation is free, a way for people to play older games on their PC or other consoles that they can't otherwise play. This is becoming more difficult and regardless of GOG emulating  a few games...there are 1000s of games that are becoming impossible to emulate that are not available on GOG and probably never will be. The amount of emulated games through GOG is very small compared to the extensive library of games out there that require emulation. 

Games like TLJ are not likely to ever receive an special edition or such. Residualvm begins to make a lot of sense. For me, TLJ off GOG works flawlessly. Emulation is dying out because people can make money on re-releasing older games. I was thrilled to see EMI on GOG though because it's so easy to run through GOG and they had every other MI title on there already. 

#15 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 15:53

Well, that solves one problem, but the Steam version still didn't run on my main gaming rig, under Win10. All I got was black screen. :-)

Btw, the second bug I described in the opening post is now fixed in the daily builds.

https://www.google.c...i30.gggPPGlPjQ8

Brah haha... I'm sure people have come up with a solution. JS... 

#16 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2018 - 18:41

Did you not hear the news?  

https://arstechnica....-lawsuit-fears/

For now, I am treating this "news" like I've treated the "news" that PC gaming is dying for the past, oh, 20+ years? :-)

https://www.google.c...i30.gggPPGlPjQ8

Brah haha... I'm sure people have come up with a solution. JS...

Not sure whether your repeated Google links have the purpose of showing off your own search engine prowess, or to stealthily imply that I am not doing my research, so let me make my point once again: in a situation where my options are to spend an evening looking up and trying out solutions on the net or just download an emulator that is proven to work on most modern platforms, I will choose the latter over the former every time.
  • Mr Moo likes this

#17 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 00:33

It's a different link. I'm confident that you can find a solution on Google if you try. You already solved half your problems. So, I gave you a link to solve the other half...Your PC and issues can not be that extraordinary, alien and unusual....millions use Steam.Surely among the millions of users your problems have been encountered before and solved already...

Steam and GOG allow people to play such games without issue. I'm very confident you can solve your problem in one sitting. Each to their own but most people who have the game on GOG or steam shouldn't have any issues playing it.  In the modern world...you can't even play MOST games anymore without  a Steam or GOG account. The idea that you can't use Steam is pretty fantastic when millions rely upon it to play most PC games on the planet.  I guess it's great you got TLJ to work but if you want to play most other games, especially more recent games you might want to work out your Steam account. ResidualVM will only take you so far... 

Yes, I am implying you didn't do your research. People use Steam on Windows 10 daily, encounter black screen and solve it and go on with life...it takes about 10 minutes probably... :D It just seems contrived to emulate a game you already own on Steam when you can get Steam working in a matter of minutes. The game isn't even really finished on Residual VM. Clearly you have a preference for ReisdualVM and that's fine...but I'm very very confident your problems with Steam have already been solved. ResidulVM is obviously no substitute for Steam in the gaming world...but hey, enjoy your ResidualVM.

Millions of people with Windows 10 use Steam and I highly highly doubt they haven't worked out any issue you could possibly be having. I think Steam works pretty well, as 126 million people rely upon it but hey you're computer is so special you need to resort to extraordinary measures and emulate the game in ResidualVM....right? :D Come on mate... You can use whatever means you want to play the game but pretending that Steam can't and won't work on your machine is very....implausible. I have Windows 10 and I use Steam just fine. TLJ works flawlessly on my PC without the need for any of your work arounds in ResidualVM. If i have any issues a quick google search and youtube video usually solves them in under 10 minutes. 

If I was going to use ReisdualVM it would be on my tablet as TLJ is very easy to get to work on most PCS and doesn't require such measures as emulation. I'd say 99 percent of the people here don't emulate TLJ....safe bet....yet they play it regardless. 

126 million people use steam...I just googled it with my mad googling skills.

#18 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:58

^ I really don't see the point of this discussion anymore. We both agree that launching TLJ on modern systems is potentially difficult. I have suggested a catch-all solution that works in its entirety. Your claim that "the game isn't really finished in ResidualVM" is false: it is completely playable without some bells and whistles which I couldn't even tell you what they are, as I personally didn't miss them all. So, given that this is a thread about ResidualVM, what exactly is the point you are trying to make? That this is a worse solution than manually manipulating the game's configuration files to get it to work?

You are also apparently confused as to what ResidualVM and Steam do, respectively. Steam is a distribution platform, which rarely gives a duck about whether the game actually runs on the downloader's platform (unlike GOG, btw). ResidualVM is an emulator that takes the resource files of the game and runs it on any target system. I have, in fact, ran the Steam version of TLJ in ResidualVM (the fonts looked plain, though, so I went back to GOG version), so at no point am I arguing for ResidualVM as a replacement for Steam, whatever gave you that idea.

• Olstyle and dreamshifter like this

#19 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:31

Look, it's interesting that it can be played with ResidualVM. So the thread is great. 

No, I don't think it should be difficult at all on a modern PC. :D

From what you've shared I don't consider that finished but it's clear you choose to see it that way. Each to their own, though I'm not convinced it's a means I'll ever take to play the game.

I know what ResidualVM does as well as Steam does. Each to their own I guess. I didn't realize the ResidualVM way of playing it had so much merit, it's been a while since Ive checked the project. 

• Koveras likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users