#1 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:26

I have been trying to update the data regarding the official translations/localization of the game in non-English languages on Wikipedia, but what I find has mostly been confusing me. :-/ Here is what I have so far:
  • The game was originally written in English (cite: https://www.webcitat...ine.se/?p=33551)
  • The Polish translation was originally planned by CD Projekt, but they jumped ship after the return to the episodic format. http://imgn.pro/ picked it up again but eventually dropped it, too, so there is no Polish translation for now (cite: http://www.adventure...p?readmore=3162)
  • The French translation was done by Words of Magic, according to the end credits of Book 5, but their website hasn't been updated in four years, so I am not sure if that data is still relevant? Also, from what I gather, they only translated the subtitles, but not the voice-overs. Is that correct?
  • The German translation was done, according to Book 5 credits, by White Rabbit Interactive, but said company doesn't mention it on their web page at all. Instead, however, EuroVideo Medien lists the game in its catalogue -- specifically the PC version, which is different from the console versions listed by Deep Silver (also Germans). So who did what?
  • The Norwegian translation is a complete mystery to me, too. From what I gather, it is also subtitles-only, but who made it? Was it RTG themselves?
Would be grateful if anyone could help me figure this stuff out...
  • Vainamoinen and Minstrum-Squall like this

#2 Al Dhi

Al Dhi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2018 - 14:22

DFC was written and recorded in English. Red Thread Games self-published the digital PC versions (Steam, GOG, Humble Store).

EuroVideo Medien GmbH from Munich, Germany published and distributed the physical PC retail version which was exclusively available to the german-speaking market in 2014. It included the first book on disc and a download code for books 2-5. If I remember this correctly, they were also overseeing the German translation and voice-over production, which means White Rabbit Interactive was likely contracted by them, not directly by RTG.

White Rabbit Interactive OG is an indie developer and service provider founded in 2011, operating from Vienna, Austria. One of the company's founders is Genna Giani, who according to their website is an audio engineer who localized ~70 games between 1997 and 2011. "inMomentum" is their only self-developed title. They have not updated their website since then.

But there's a short DFC thread on the "Synchronforum" (a small forum for insiders and fans of German voice-over production) which credits White Rabbit Interactive OG as coordinator/editor for the German version. They also have a nearly complete list of its voice actors and credit Studio Mühl in Hamburg as the recording studio. This information is verified through Martin Sabel's portfolio (German voice actor of Magnus & Shitbot).

Words of Magic did do the French translation. Contrary to what was promised during the Kickstarter, no French voice-overs were ever recorded; it's subtitles only.

A Norwegian translation does not exist at all. Again, contrary to what was promised during the Kickstarter.

Deep Silver are really just a games label of Koch Media GmbH (seated in Austria with offices all over the world, particularly in Europe). They only came in in 2016 as publisher and distributor of the physical (Europe only) and digital (worldwide) console release of DFC (PS4, XONE).

• Minstrum-Squall likes this

#3 Szpadelek

Szpadelek

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPoland, Bydgoszcz

Posted 07 April 2018 - 17:55

Polish dubbing was promised...yeah. But it wasn't CD Projekt dropped the translation, it was Red Thread Games. And I'm so curious why. 

I hope that the chance for translation is still there, but when you ask the creators about it, they don't answer the questions.

• Minstrum-Squall likes this

#4 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:25

Thanks for the updates, guys. :-)

#5 Minstrum-Squall

Minstrum-Squall

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 May 2018 - 14:26

I find that RTG has made lies for voices and translations to many people.  :-(

Some day, the time will tell it us.

#6 Szpadelek

Szpadelek

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPoland, Bydgoszcz

Posted 20 May 2018 - 21:05

I think it's pathetic. A lot of people paid money for the game on the Kickstarter because they thought RTG will dubb DFC in their native language. They promised to create dubbings after the premiere of 'Book Five' first, after premiere of 'The Final Cut' - later. The worst thing is that if you ask them if it is worth waiting for dubbing, they ignore that question...I'm disappointed because the Polish dubbing of TLJ and DF was amazing and I was hoping that I would listen to friends voices after all these years. Shame...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users