62 replies to this topic

#41 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:32

Subtitles aren't free either. They still have to pay someone to do the translation. And find someone willing to do it. And then code it into the game.

Hopefully more translations will come in the future but it's not as easy as some people seem to think it is.

I myself am a volunteer translator for Valve software. And we don't get paid, so Valve gets their translations for free.

So yeah... free.

Not to name countless games which have fan translations.

Also, a little off topic, why the hell do I need to have 450MB of german sound files?  <_<

EDIT: BTW, "code it into the game"? If they have done their homework (which at this point, after seen all the lag, unwanted language files, etc I start to doubt) It would be a 2 minute work.

I currently do web development and I have done app development for years and adding a new language to my webs or programs is as easy as adding the language file, no codding needed. But yeah, this is RTG, they may need to start the game from scrath  :wacko:

BTW, here's a good read: http://en.wikipedia...._of_video_games

#42 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:49

I myself am a volunteer translator for Valve software. And we don't get paid, so Valve gets their translations for free.

So yeah... free.

Not to name countless games which have fan translations.

Also, a little off topic, why the hell do I need to have 450MB of german sound files?  <_<

EDIT: BTW, "code it into the game"? If they have done their homework (which at this point, after seen all the lag, unwanted language files, etc I start to doubt) It would be a 2 minute work.
I currently do web development and I have done app development for years and adding a new language to my webs or programs is as easy as adding the language file, no codding needed. But yeah, this is RTG, they may need to start the game from scrath  :wacko:

Yeah, but Valve can get away with it without any flak. When RTG tried to hold a nice little music contest for (and requested by) their fans, and offered that the best tracks would get to feature in the game (like streaming out of a bar or such, small things like that), the music industry descended upon them like vultures and accused RTG of exploiting free labour and ruined it for everyone. Never mind that RTG already had employed a professional composer for the score and a singer songwriter. I don't think they want to venture into the free territory again any time soon.

It's common practise to bundle a few languages on each separate release.

I don't get what you have against RTG.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#43 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:58

Yeah, but Valve can get away with it without any flak. When RTG tried to hold a nice little music contest for (and requested by) their fans, and offered that the best tracks would get to feature in the game (like streaming out of a bar or such, small things like that), the music industry descended upon them like vultures and accused RTG of exploiting free labour and ruined it for everyone. Never mind that RTG already had employed a professional composer for the score and a singer songwriter. I don't think they want to venture into the free territory again any time soon.

It's common practise to bundle a few languages on each separate release.

I don't get what you have against RTG.

It's not just Valve who does this, in the Wikipedia article there are various cases of fan translations getting into official game releases.

And I can name more, Braid from Jonathan Blow also has 2 unofficial translations that came along with the official ones.

And do you know what I have against RTG? That many of us are offering free help so our friends who don't have the luck of knowing another language can enjoy their game and they are rejecting us.

And rejecting free help is highly offensive in my country.

Oh, and as a little note, not only Valve uses the Steam Translation Server, other games from 3rd parties are also translated by us, and they don't have any trouble either.

I'm not sure I can disclose who they are but you can find them on Google.

#44 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:04

And do you know what I have against RTG? That many of us are offering free help so our friends who don't have the luck of knowing another language can enjoy their game and they are rejecting us.

And rejecting free help is highly offensive in my country.

Well, I think you should try to be a bit more understanding of the reasons. I can tell you that RTG would love to see and include fan translations for the languages they can't produce themselves if they could, but it's just not that simple.

And rejecting offers of help is pretty much the norm in my country I think, you're more often rejected than not.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#45 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:11

Oh, and as a little note, not only Valve uses the Steam Translation Server,

I'm not into STS, but I'd guess that such a translation would be steam exclusive? Are you even allowed to use them on DRM free releases, or ps4? And adding this functionality to DFC is likely more work than pushing a button?

#46 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:16

I'm not into STS, but I'd guess that such a translation would be steam exclusive? Are you even allowed to use them on DRM free releases, or ps4? And adding this functionality to DFC is likely more work than pushing a button?

Nope, the translation is property of the game developers to do what they want with it. They can use it anywhere.

Adding what functionality? STS is just a tool.

The process goes like this:

1. Devs export their text to a compatible format (text manipulation being the easiest thing in programming)

2. They feed the text into the system, and the system divides the text accordingly to the specification. It's usually a word (menus, buttons...), phrases or paragraphs.

3. We translate one by one these strings.

4. A moderator (one of us, but with higher ranking) reviews it.

5. An admin (RTG staff in this case) approves it.

6. They download the resulting translated file and do with it what they want.

As I said previously parsing a text file from one format to another is a thing a 1st year Computer Science student can do in an hour.

• Mr Moo likes this

#47 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:28

Subtitles aren't free either. They still have to pay someone to do the translation. And find someone willing to do it. And then code it into the game.

Hopefully more translations will come in the future but it's not as easy as some people seem to think it is.

Adding to the complexity here, subtitles SHOULDN'T be free. And they also shouldn't be done by so called fans without explicit consent of the developer.

As to you-know-who, let's all agree that a dirt poor struggling new developer with just about a dozen heads in a studio may have the moral right to accept offers from fans to help out with translations while a billion dollar monopolous publisher with almost none of the costs publishers usually bear (QA and staff come to mind) clearly does not. If Ubisoft and Electronic Arts tried to pull off the same thing, it still would just be 8% as insolent.

Yeah, but Valve can get away with it without any flak.

With_absolutely_anything. They can establish a new era of publisher/press conflation right on their platform exactly at the peak of gamergate, and no one even gives a shit.

When RTG tried to hold a nice little music contest for (and requested by) their fans, and offered that the best tracks would get to feature in the game (like streaming out of a bar or such, small things like that), the music industry descended upon them like vultures and accused RTG of exploiting free labour and ruined it for everyone.

Ugh, as much as I'd love to clamor in the same vein, we don't have that much background insight to make that claim. Frankly, I rather believe that just a few people in the industry - people Simon knows and trusts in - reacted in surprisingly aggressive ways. I'm not a big fan of the "the [entire] music industry descended on them [the entirety of RTG] like vultures" theory. :mellow:

But the whole music contest business goes to show that RTG can not risk actively asking fans for translations, certainly, and might not really be served best accepting offers or otherwise condoning fan translations.

• Tina, agirlnamedbob and khh like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#48 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:38

Apart from Valve there are 7 other companies using RTG.

From Valve, worth several Billions to an indie developer with only a "moderate-success" game.

None of them has had any problem, why would RTG?

#49 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:43

A burnt child dreads the fire.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#50 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:52

A burnt child dreads the fire.

Then he grows up and learns how to use the fire for useful things without getting burnt again ;)

#51 BenBandu

BenBandu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 00:56

RTG isn't even done with the game yet. Nothing is stopping them from using the service at a later date, but game making has it's priorities, and if they feel a translation to your language isn't something they have to do right away then that's their business.

#52 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:55

Just to chime in on this:

We're aware of the Steam Translation Service (STS) and what it brings to the table. It's as DrHouse said, on a technical level, not hard to implement, as we have the needed systems in place.

It's just a matter of exposing our in-game dialogue in the service and have someone approve the translations as they come in. However, it will consume time and resources to have someone approve and add it into the game as it gets translated in new languages. Meaning it's not something we're prioritizing at this point in time, but it's definitely something we'll look into at a later point.

As of now we have a lot of other things to do that is higher up on the priority list, but rest assured we're very interested in having DFC translated to many different languages. I'm confident you understand the reasoning behind the decision to actually finish the game before we start focusing on community translation.

• khh, AMoN-AMoK, DrHouse and 4 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#53 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 14:50

Not high priority, fine.

I can't argue against that.

Hope it gets done in the future :)

• Morten and khh like this

#54 MyEredan

MyEredan

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 15:08

Hi,
It is the first time I write in the forum.
I am speaking Hispanic and fan of adventure games. Dreamfall have me captivated me and my wife the previous games (I think it is a must to have game), but being in another language (not even translated) becomes impossible or very difficult for me to understand the history if not in my language. It would be very profitable for the company, since Spanish is a language of the most widespread.
No comment for a response, only to interest you to know that like me, many people have come out in Dreamfall in their native language, since previous games if they have voice and text translation.
Thanks for reading and games as art, both in history and landscapes.

P.D.: Sorry for using Google Translator.

• AMoN-AMoK and Mr Moo like this

#55 WatiCrow

WatiCrow

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrom the land of twilight, under the moon

Posted 05 April 2015 - 22:05

Let me add some interesting statistic about DFC sales on Steam by countries (from SteamSpy.com):

https://i.imgur.com/jHjMJDs.png

I think it's much more helpfull for players (not for creators, of course they know all of this) to understand what new languages could be usefull in future and justified for economic reasons. And my ghostly hopes about Russian subtitles in game had increased after that infographic although I still think that amateur but good translation will be made faster. :P

#56 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:15

I hope that translating DFC isn't the fiasco translating Tesla Effect was!

#57 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:53

Let me add some interesting statistic about DFC sales on Steam by countries (from SteamSpy.com):
https://i.imgur.com/jHjMJDs.png

Please keep in mind that this data is taken from Steam profiles which allow public access. In some countries( and from what I read in different places, eastern Europe is way up on that list) people are much more open with their data than in others (Germany being a prime example of nearly paranoid behaviour), so this graphic may show more about that attitude than the actual distribution of sales.

#58 alexbril

alexbril

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:53

Dear Ragnar and the Red Thread Games team,

You are very well aware of how popular The Longest Journey and Dreamfall series is in the Russian-speaking community, and you must be receiving a lot of questions about the release of the official Russian localization or subtitles.

We see how much time and effort you are putting into the game development, especially into the preparation of the following Books of Dreamfall Chapters. That is why we have made up a team of enthusiasts called ‘Well-DING! Team’ and already fully localized the text of the Book One. Now we are working on the Book Two. 

We worked very hard and did our best to make a quality translation. We created our own dictionaries, learnt the slang of many different languages, various idioms, etc. to preserve the atmosphere of your game and transfer the idea of multilingualism in Propast. The game you have created is really unique, and we are very grateful to you for that.

We would like to show you our work and offer it as an official localization, if you find its quality acceptable. This will help you to focus your resources on the following development of the Books and not to be distracted with such a lot of questions about their translation into Russian.

Of course, we do not ask for any monetary reward. We just want to offer our localization for free.

We look forward to your reply and would be glad to learn about your opinion. Any decision you make will not stop us from enjoying your games.

Yours sincerely,

Well-DING Team.

URL for downloading: https://goo.gl/7MfA9Q, http://goo.gl/ehRyOY 

#59 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 October 2015 - 15:59

That would explain all the streams I see recently with Russian subtitles and menus!

#60 willow

willow

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 20:08

Why the french voices promised in the kickstarter since the start were a lie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users