#21 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:55

@DamaBlanca: Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in your post, but I wouldn't have hopes of anything like recording facilities/voice actors or even just "poor" subtitle translators being given free. And having the fans do such a translation would be i) bad (no quality assurance), ii) may cause even bigger problems after the music contest fiasco that happened (I assume you know about that).

[...]

Yeah, I know what you mean from the start, don't worry ^^ and I'm not trying to be persistent, that what my last post is about. I just wanted to let them know, no more, no less. Not asking/requesting anything, just letting them know. 

Of course I'm not talking about voice actors, that would be insane to do fanmade and for free lol just subtitles version which in the other hand, was never poor in any of the games I reached to play reading my languages thanks to them and the companies who accepted (they're more than one, I just said this one because I think it's the bigger they're working with at the moment). 

I contacted FX Interactive, however, as they're the ones who gave us TLJ and Dreamfall translated with voice acting included, so we'll see. 

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#22 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:58

I don't necessarily mean "legal" in the sense that doing so would be strictly illegal. I don't know if I'm fully understanding exactly what you're proposing. I know sometimes foreign partners may offer to front the money for the translation and then make up the money in a percentage of profits from the sale of the translation. 

Regardless of that, if RTG is going to support something in an official capacity, they have to know that it's going to meet all their standards, etc. Work for free always opens up a weird can of ethical and sometimes legal worms. 

Maybe I'm just extra cautious after the whole music competition debacle, but I'm leery of anything official being done for free. 

Honestly, though, it sounds like RTG wants to bring the game, at least subbed, to as many languages as they can (feasibly). So hopefully Book One sells enough that they have the budget to do so (and that it selling very well will make hypothetical business partners interested in striking a translation deal). 

• Tina and DamaBlanca like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#23 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 October 2014 - 19:09

Maybe I'm just extra cautious after the while music competition debacle, but I'm leery of anything official being done for free. 

Honestly, though, it sounds like RTG wants to bring the game, at least subbed, to as many languages as they can (feasibly). So hopefully Book One sells enough that they have the budget to do so (and that it selling very well will make hypothetical business partners interested in striking a translation deal). 

This. Both points.

I seem to remember Ragnar being positive towards some "fan translation" things a while back, maybe a year or so. But I doubt he'd be that now, after all the "they steal the moneyz and make peoplez work for free!" they got from the music competition.

But I also am quite sure RTG would like the game to be available in many, many languages. But right now they have already promised a number of languages, and until they are finished and "delivered", RTG shouldn't really focus on any new ones. And also that thing about cost vs potential income. Maybe they'll get some statistics from the languages they've already promised? If people actually do play it in their native language. For instance, I don't think I'm ever going to play the Norwegian verison, when it arrives. I'm okay with subtitles (I'm used to that from tv series anyway, and usually catch the words in both languages at once, at least I notice it if I feel the translation is strange), but Norwegian voices often just feel "weird". And I want to play, and listen to, the "original" story. 

• agirlnamedbob, khh, Forwyn and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#24 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:49

I'm holding out for an Estonian translation. :D

• agirlnamedbob and DamaBlanca like this

#25 Tonkra

Tonkra

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 23:54

Yeah, I know what you mean, urzagc, that's what I'm saying it. Spain may not be that active on buying adventures as Germany, but if you put together the spanish speakers of Spain and the spanish speakers of Southamerica, it does make a lot of people who would actually buy the game.

its not just about the adventure genre. the gaming market in these countries is relatively small compared to germany. the gaming market volume in germany is the biggest in europe. The sales numbers for software and hardware is much higher here.

one of the strech goals at 1,25 million dollars on kickstarter was french and german voice over. i feel sorry for you and i know that experiencing an adventure game in your mother language is much nicer (if the voice over is well done).

btw. Daedlic is a german company for adventure games^

and well... maybe you like the german voiceover in Dreamfall: Chapters who knows ;) "Made in Germany"^^

https://www.youtube....kLiJUBk#t=9m47s

:D :D :D

No.. to be serious.. i liked the voice of april ryan in the german version very much:

https://www.youtube....Ewatch#t=02m59s

(although we most likely wont hear her anymore in chapters)

• DamaBlanca likes this

#26 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 10 October 2014 - 00:12

Haha I know I surely will, Tonkra. I don't even mean the voice acting, I'm used to play with both english voices and subtitles, I was just asking because of my mom, for example. She backed too, and she loves the saga, but she won't be able to play Chapters because she doesn't understand a tiny bit of english, that's why I was just wondering if would be possible to have at least spanish subtitles in the future. 

But Tina made it clear, so we can hope and wait ^^ 

Oh and btw, I usually don't like to play with the spanish voices as I prefer to play with the english ones, but I think April's voice in the spanish version was sooo sweet and cute  :wub: 

Spoiler

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#27 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:22

I'm not sure if I ever played Dreamfall in Norwegian, but back when I bought TLJ in a store, it was only in Norwegian. Later on, I bought TLJ in English as well, and it's the version I've replayed since then. I believe I had some trouble getting the Norwegian TLJ to run in Vista, and I haven't tried it since then, as I know the English release works. Couldn't find any video on Youtube in Norwegian, so here's one in Swedish:

And I hope you get Spanish subtitles!

#28 momomomo888

momomomo888

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:29

Hey there! :)

Another Spanish here...

My +1 to any distribution partnership that brings Spanish subtitles/voices to the game (maybe FX Interactive, but they work with physical games, so that usually means no translation on GOG or Steam :'(, and I already backed for a boxed copy :P ).

Another +1 to any posibility for fansubs, to be used officially (bringing patchs to GOG, Steam), or not (applying community patchs at our own risk)...

But for this, please, allow an easy access to the subtitle file, so you can create a language pack, even if it's never used officially. That would be a good move for the fansub community (people like the ones from guiaspat, who have already fansubed in Spanish games like Memoria, Resonance, Blackwell Legacy/Unbound, Gemini Rue, The Raven, The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles,...).

The Spanish market doesn't talk/read English... here every media sold or mass consumed is dubbed (films, TV) or fansubed (series), so when a product is not localized, you'll reach only the more hardcore fans like us, if lucky.

And about market share... surely it's true that the Spanish market (Spain/Latin American/Spanish-speaker US) is not a great market from the retail point of view... but who count steam/gog sales and their language preference? My complete game list from GOG are adventures (97 games :P). I buy physical games only it's a really great game OR if it's translated even if I already own it in English (just for showing my support on translation and voting with my wallet!).

So please... just try to be open to any possibility that would be better for your actual customers and future customers.

• AMoN-AMoK, Bombermans and DamaBlanca like this

#29 Bombermans

Bombermans

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 19:26

I do own the first two games, which were indeed released in spanish, with an exceptional dubbing. I do want the third and last game to be in spanish aswell ^^U

• AMoN-AMoK and DamaBlanca like this

#30 debro

debro

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:42

I'm from Argentina, and i absolutely HATE dubbing... Specially considering we speak a very distinctive kind of spanish :P

But with subtitles, i'm up for it! I play every game i own in english with subtitles (Spanish if available or english if not).

The Argentinian PC game market is awful, i don't really think it's viable to translate it. BUT the PS4 market is strongly growing, i believe when the PS4 version comes out it will be more likely to be translated (text only, dubbing is not really needed).

"The brightest days have the darkest shadows. Always remember that!"

#31 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:57

I'm not sure if you know it, but Steam offers a free tool called Steam Translation Server where volunteers (such as myself) get the strings from Steam and several games, including Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, or even Portal 2.

The strings get translated by users or mods (everyone has to pass a test to even get inside), then a mod (another one if the first was a mod) has to approve the string. After that the admin has to confirm the string as valid and then it's usable by the game owner. So it's a very straightforward method, they basically upload a file with all the strings of the game, they get translated on by one by volunteers, revised and approved and then they just download the translated file.

Then they just need to import it in the game.

Top quality translation 100% free. If Valve Software can use it for their games, why can't RTG?

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#32 Vincy85

Vincy85

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRignano Flaminio(RM)

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:06

I don't know how to make a translation but if i could make it i wanna made the italian. This game has many fans in Italy too.

#33 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 18:04

Top quality translation 100% free. If Valve Software can use it for their games, why can't RTG?

Of course Valve is using it for as many of their applications as they can. They've made the system and will of course implement it where they can and where they see fit.

For us to use the same tool, we would most likely have had to make this part of our dialogue system from the very start of development. Also, it might not work very well with our dialogue system at all. 

Basically my answer here is that this is a Valve system, we have our own dialogue system. Things might work out perfectly.. or not.. Who knows, as we have not yet looked at this.

Anyway, of course it's possible for us to export our whole dialogue tree to XML and have it translated bit by bit and then add it to our localization database and make sure it gets correctly hooked into the game. However, this is something we'll have to consider at another point in time.

Now, I haven't looked too much at this yet, so please don't arrest me and throw me to the depths if I'm totally wrong :P

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#34 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:15

Ups, been busy IRL.

Not to sound harsh or anything, but it should take no more than a day for an average programmer to make a parser from xml (or whichever format you use) to a STS compliant format.

It's string manipulation we are talking about, it's one of the easiest things you can program.

If I could make a converter from BMP to TLJ's proprietary, closed-specs image format in a couple of days I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a text parser.

Anyway I suggested STS just because it's free and top quality (enough for Valve, and we know how seriously they take quality). And maybe also because I'm a translator at STS and want to help  :P

But any system would be great. Also, if you are translating into more than one language then it means a language system is already in place, isn't it?

By the way I can understand if the translation has to be done after the books are released to ensure no leaks are made (if fan translation), but after it's released and everyone can see the whole game....

#35 LoCortes

LoCortes

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSabadell, Barcelona

Posted 20 November 2014 - 20:07

Hello!
Here there is another spanish player! :)

I have to recognize that I played the first to games dubbed to Spanish. The dubbing was great and high quality but some time ago I decided to see films, series and play in English to learn and improve. Iam still doing it... :P Spain is one of the worstcountries to learn english because as it has been said everything is dubbed so the English level is quite poor.

I have enjoyed the game in English!
  • khh likes this

#36 Gimilkhâd the Dreamer

Gimilkhâd the Dreamer

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 22:18

Me too ^^

I prefer to play it in English with subtitles (translations are kinda bad sometimes, "wire" in Dreamfall was translated to "malla" in spite of "red", "web" in English, it's not a wrong translation but is not descriptive), with subtitles not because I need it but just for being sure I don't lose any part of the story. But any kind of translation would be great for those who cannot understand English (is sad, but in Spain the English level is quite null/low) and can't play DFC because of it.

I just wanted to do an update about this topic. Early this month I read this on Twitter:

so it is probable they'll prepare a translation.

May the Balance be with you :)

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#37 redfox

redfox

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 14:46

I wonder why DFC is not in Czech language (at least the subtitiles) yet, if the "Propast" is located near Prague.. 

#38 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 November 2014 - 17:54

I wonder why DFC is not in Czech language (at least the subtitiles) yet, if the "Propast" is located near Prague.. 

Translations aren't free, and they are an upfront investment. You have to weight that cost against how much you expect it will increase your sales. Additionally small companies may not be able to afford too many translations at a time.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#39 DrHouse

DrHouse

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:15

Translations aren't free.

Dubs aren't free, subtitles are.

But no subs either  <_<

#40 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:28

Dubs aren't free, subtitles are.
But no subs either <_<

Subtitles aren't free either. They still have to pay someone to do the translation. And find someone willing to do it. And then code it into the game.

Hopefully more translations will come in the future but it's not as easy as some people seem to think it is.
  • khh likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users