DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:07

Hello :)

So i've been searching info about it but I didn't find anything related, so I just wanted to ask (I hope this one is the right place to do it). 

Will D:C come out in spanish? I think I read somewhere it won't, but I'm in a lot of spanish forums about graphic adventures and the hype for this one is above real, I guess a lot of us fell in love with the saga back then and not everyone of us get english good enough to play a game like this one.

So even if it doesn't, will you consider it for a future? I know some of them translate oficially for companies like Daedalic, they give them an easy way to translate and they take it as the official translation through a patch or something like that? Don't know that well the procedure, but they wanted me to ask so...

Here I am :)

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#2 Spun

Spun

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:21

Ragnar addressed this on twitter not too long ago (see below).  Unfortunately, it looks like it's not coming out in Spanish as of now--but depending on how successful the game is, it may be a possibility in the future.

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, AMoN-AMoK and 1 other like this

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:26

Man, I was literally just putting that post together. Congrats, Spun. You've out-ninja'd the ninja.  :ph34r:

• trentjaspar, Spun and blaster like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#4 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:30

Damn, there's a lot of talented ninjas here! ;)

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#5 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Ok then, thank you so much for the fast reply :) I don't have twitter so :( 

#6 Spun

Spun

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Haha, thanks agirlnamedbob!  I rarely post, but when I do: watch out!!  :P

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:35

Ok then, thank you so much for the fast reply :) I don't have twitter so :(

You don't have to have Twitter to stalk read Ragnar's feed. I rarely ever check my actual Twitter feed, but I go to Ragnar's page regularly to look for updates. 

• Chocobo_sage, Edreamer Jamil, mrKnask and 2 others like this

#8 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:49

Really? I didn't know, I thought there was some kind of privacy stuff as there is in most Facebook pages. Could somebody send me the link in that case? ^^ I would really appreciate that. 

#9 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:51

It's really easy to remember: https://twitter.com/RagnarTornquist

My computer's drop down web address thing actually defaults to that when I start typing in "twitter" ...>>; 

• Chocobo_sage, AMoN-AMoK and DamaBlanca like this

#10 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:55

This is interesting, considering more people speak Spanish than English and is the 4th most common language in the world. Is it because there isn't that big of a demand for adventure games among Spanish speaking people? I don't know, just asking, because it would seem it would be one of the main languages to have the game available in.

• DamaBlanca likes this

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:02

I don't want to speculate too heavily, for risk of saying something dumb, but I think it likely has to do with the fact that less people who speak Spanish as their first / only language play these sorts of games. Or that was the impression I got based on what Ragnar said. I mean, German is a language that isn't that widely spoken, comparatively, but adventure games sell very well there, so that translation is a high priority. I would assume the reverse is true for Spanish, unfortunately.

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:04

The majority of Spanish speakers live in Latin America, and AFAIK games hasn't yet become a very big part of their culture. And among the Latin American countries, I believe Brazil has the largest market for video games - and they speak Portuguese.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#13 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:10

This is interesting, considering more people speak Spanish than English and is the 4th most common language in the world. Is it because there isn't that big of a demand for adventure games among Spanish speaking people? I don't know, just asking, because it would seem it would be one of the main languages to have the game available in.

You're not that out of the way in fact. Some years ago, it was the main reason. Spain and Southamerica weren't that much into adventures (graphic ones, at least), so they eventually stopped translating them. However, the last few years changed it completely with this indie fever and a lot of people are playing them now, so... Yes, the companies still don't translate most of them (except for a few like Artifex Mundi) but still, some of them who wanted to give it a try (as the first mentioned Daedalic) are, as they said on Facebook, pleased with the results even if they were fanmade translations our country and southamerida sent to them. 

So that was the most important question I did imho, if RTG would be interested on spanish people doing the same thing we did for, for example, Daedalic's Memoria (they are including it in the next language big patch). They basically get the line archives as far as I know, translate it, and send it back to the company so they can include it officially without any kind of piracy involved. 

• Lautaro likes this

#14 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:12

The majority of Spanish speakers live in Latin America, and AFAIK games hasn't yet become a very big part of their culture. And among the Latin American countries, I believe Brazil has the largest market for video games - and they speak Portuguese.

That is not quite right tbh. Southamerica, most of the countries at least, play as much videogames as we do lol most of people on the forums I talk about are from many different countries of there. 

#15 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:24

Okay. I don't want to start a fight and I haven't vetted this information, but a cursory Google search shows the Spanish speaking market lagging behind other markets in terms of video game revenue (and not by a small amount). 

http://www.statista....enue-countries/

http://vgsales.wikia...o_game_industry

I totally support DFC being translated into Spanish, if it's feasible for the team. I know I've met quite a few Spanish speaking fans around the interwebs. But I feel like those numbers are probably part of why Spanish is less of a priority compared to French, German, etc.

I also think it's also important to note that the German translation is primarily happening because of a partner deal RTG has. It's not like they're launching with the game in a ton of languages. Mostly some subtitle packs, with hopefully more to follow. 

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#16 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:25

Ragnar addressed this on twitter not too long ago (see below).  Unfortunately, it looks like it's not coming out in Spanish as of now--but depending on how successful the game is, it may be a possibility in the future.

He actually answered the same question two days ago in the Kickstarter comments: "Not for launch (the release in Spanish) but hopefully a bit further down the line."

Really? I didn't know, I thought there was some kind of privacy stuff as there is in most Facebook pages. Could somebody send me the link in that case? ^^ I would really appreciate that. 

Yes, there IS an option to make your twitter "private" but that's not the default and very few people use it. Twitter is used by many as an announcement board for stuff and it wouldn't make sense to restrict who can see it. I personally just have Ragnar's twitter page on my Bookmarks (and check it many times per day, especially lately) but I rarely bother to login to my twitter account and I've only made a couple of posts there in the last 4 years, lol.

Now, as for the situation with the Spanish (and other) languages, it is quite clear:

- Any localization (especially dubbing) costs money. That money must come from somewhere (e.g. for the Norwegian version they came from the norwegian government, for French and German from the Kickstarter stretch goal and the local publishers, for the Polish version -if that's still happening, I'm not sure- from the local publisher again, etc.)

- Also, spending that money in the first place means the taking of a risk. The risk is simple as well: will I get more sales by offering a localized version than it will cost me to produce it? There is sales data that can help someone make an educated guess here and neither I nor most of us here have that kind of information. Red Thread Games and the various local publishers probably do have that data. It told them (for example) that it is DEFINITELY worth doing the German localization.

tl;dr I'm sure RTG would love to have the game localized in as many languages as possible. But to do so they either have to take a very vague financial risk themselves (which they probably can't afford), OR a local (Spanish or Latin American in this case) publisher must see profit in doing this and come in some agreement with RTG. So, send some mail to you local publishers maybe?   ;)

• agirlnamedbob, Dmm and DamaBlanca like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#17 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:33

Yeah, I know what you mean, urzagc, that's what I'm saying it. Spain may not be that active on buying adventures as Germany, but if you put together the spanish speakers of Spain and the spanish speakers of Southamerica, it does make a lot of people who would actually buy the game. 

That's why I'm saying it. What this forum does is get in contact with the companies who make the adventures and ask if they would be interested on give them facilities to translate it for free, and then they send it to them a steam and gog version they can add in a patch or something. It's just an option, they of course will do what is best for their game and I totally understand and respect that, but ask/offer doesn't hurt anyone and there is really a lot of spanish/latin people who are looking forward for the game but haven't the proper english level to play it. 

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:39

That's why I'm saying it. What this forum does is get in contact with the companies who make the adventures and ask if they would be interested on give them facilities to translate it for free, and then they send it to them a steam and gog version they can add in a patch or something. 

For legal reasons, I'm not sure if that's something they can really do. An unofficial FanSub patch is one thing, but I'm not sure the greater implications of getting free translations in an official capacity.

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#19 DamaBlanca

DamaBlanca

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:44

For legal reasons, I'm not sure if that's something they can really do. An unofficial FanSub patch is one thing, but I'm not sure the greater implications of getting free translations in an official capacity.

I don't think a company such as Daedalic who is collecting a huge success lately would do something illegal, they probably talked about it first and then just reach something acceptable but, as I say, I'm just letting them know. I can play the game myself in english, maybe will not get it all, but with the subtitles I can defend myself. Yet I thought I had to let this here anyway, because I do know, in the other hand, a lot of people who won't, as my poor mother for example xD 

• AMoN-AMoK likes this

#20 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 08 October 2014 - 17:45

@DamaBlanca: Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in your post, but I wouldn't have hopes of anything like recording facilities/voice actors or even just "poor" subtitle translators being given free. And having the fans do such a translation would be i) bad (no quality assurance), ii) may cause even bigger problems after the music contest fiasco that happened (I assume you know about that).

One more thing: as we've already established, the pure number of Spanish-speaking people is not indicative of the computer game sales in Spanish-speaking countries, but ALSO the computer games sales are not indicative of how important a localization is. Allow me to explain: I come from Greece. We're a very tiny market, and our language is spoken only here (and the even smaller Cyprus) so almost no one ever bothers to localize something for us. However, even IF Greece had the population of India (lol) - and everything else remained the same - it might STILL not be a good idea to localize (I'm talking about dubbing here) Dreamfall:Chapters in Greek. You know why? Because in Greece we're used to consuming our English (and other) media with subtitles. Most of our young people (and a lot older ones, because of tourism) are very fluent in English, and THUS we would buy the game anyway (without waiting for the localized version) so spending money for a Greek dub wouldn't increase the sales enough. The opposite is true for Germany. A lot of people there are fluent in English as well, but they've traditionally consumed all of their media dubbed. They are very used to that and not having a German version would cause many sales to be lost. I don't know what the case is in Spain or Mexico though.

• DamaBlanca likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users