• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 18:57

Downloaded from Steam, but when PLAY button is pushed, it says "RUNNING" for about 5 seconds, then reverts back to PLAY..

Game won't play!  Please advise...

• Niklon and Victorplepe like this

#2 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:36

Tried using the verify file integrity check in Steam?

THere's a FAQ on here somewhere with a lot of info. Also, if you can upload a log (see the FAQ), there's a bigger chance of someone being able to help.

#3 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 16:33

toremygg:  Validating Steam files 100% complete

All files successfully validated

Current Content Build ID:2042529

Please advise on exactly where I find this "upload a log"??

Your help and support are a ray of sun, ty...

Looking forward to learning how to get Dreamfall Chapters and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey to play on my PC.

Dreamfall Chapters always freezes after Nela throws the bomb at the guards in Book 2[just after the Data Theft], the game then shows Zoe laying on the ground, unconscious and someone dragging her away by the shoulders, the game then loads to the next Chapter, but ..STAYS a dark screen and when I try to click it, it gives error message:

Dreamfall Chapters is not responding

Close the program[this works, but the game is gone and it reverts back to desktop]

Wait for the program to respond[I've tried this many times, ALL NIGHT,etc and the game NEVER responds, the dark screen is the only thing that shows...:-(

Sorry, still searching for the "FAQ" willing to learn, but slow and patient, ty again 

#4 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 February 2018 - 21:58

Unofficial FAQ here: https://forum.redthr...rs-general-faq/

#5 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 00:52

thanks for the FAQs...I'll sift thru them and see if I can figure out why Dreamfall Chapters freezes and goes dark-blury screen after Nelas bomb...

#6 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:14

Just ordered a new GPU EVGA  GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, it's supposed to fit my pc and make gaming life wonderful..more when/if

#7 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 18:25

Dreamfall The Longest Journey Saga still won't play...:-(

Deleted/re-installed/verify content,etc,etc,etc..

Same issue: Click PLAY=says "running" for about 5 seconds then reverts to PLAY button...

Guess this is a game I PAID for that is just wasted $...oh well, I still like Steam adn like Dreamfall Chapters..

but, I am doubtful "if" I buy anything new...

ps: just installed EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU, Dreamfall Chapters now plays smoothly, NO crashing/freezing/stuttering/stalling/fade to blurry dark screen..etc..:-)

• khh and toremygg like this

#8 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:21

I'm so glad for you! You can enjoy playing Chapters at least:-)
So you mean neither TlJ, nor Dreamfall load??
What kind of play button is that? Did you try launching the games from your desktop's shortcuts?

#9 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 15:11

I enjoy Chapters a lot!  It's a wonderful game.

Sadly, I have failed to be able to play Dreamfall:The Longest Journey, it won't play when I click either the desktop icon or inside Steam, with their icon for play, it always shows:

the black "running box" shows for about 5 seconds, then disappears.

This happens using the desktop icon or inside Steam, using their icon.

Clicking any other desktop icon[other Steam games:Dreamfall Chapters, Syberia 3,etc, ALL work perfectly and load the game clicks when I click PLAY...

I've heard there is a way to play Dreamfall:The Longest Journey by launching the game directly from the ".exe", but I don't know where the ".exe" is?

I've also heard that playing Dreamfall:The Longest Journey by using "Compatibility Mode", that is playing in earlier Windows OS, like Windows XP, Service Pack 2, etc...I've tried this but gotten "error message" and still Dreamfall:The Longest Journey NEVER played.

funny thing is, I can play The Longest Journey and Dreamfall Chapters,  but NOT Dreamfall:The Longest Journey, very confused here for sure...:-(

I've deleted/uninstalled and re-installed Dreamfall:The Longest Journey MANY times, but so far, nothing I've tried has been successful...:-(

Attached Files

#10 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 16:24

Dreamfall:The Longest Journey...will it ever play?

Attached Files

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 04 March 2018 - 17:38

On steam: right click the game, Properties, Local Files tab, Click browse files.

If there is an exe it will be in there.

There is no reason the game shouldn't work perfectly from steam however. Its always been fine for me.

#12 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:06

In Steam, right click the game[Dreamfall:The Longest Journey], Properties, Local Files tab, Click browse files:

it shows : Dreamfall:The Longest Journey icon, clicking it does NOTHING!

ran "compatibility mode" it recommended Win XP SP3, but it didn't work either...

I've deleted and reinstalled this game maybe 50 times and it never worked, never played.

many posters have told me how well the game plays for them, but so for, for me, nada...

#13 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:20

I FOUND an the 6 disc Dreamfall:The Longest Journey cd pac, installed, DELETED the Steam version and everything is WORKING fine!

Sorry Steam, while I'll continue to use Steam for games "that play", Dreamfall:The Longest Journey NEVER played on Steam!, but it plays well from the original Aspyr CD's..hooray...:-)

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:26

What os on you ? Try right click run as administraor ? disable anti-virus. If you go to the store page for the game and click play now does that work ?

Sounds like you have some config or permission issues issues some place.

edit: 'Found' huh, I wont ask where. Guess you have it working now. So thats that then. Enjoy.

#15 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:29

I'm finished trying to play this game on Steam, it NEVER worked and I've tried everything any poster was SO kind to help me with...

Steam=no help!

I'll enjoy this game from the original Aspyr 6 disc CD set, it's installed, it WORKS and I'm not going back to Steam!

Thanks for your help...

#16 Gary Stamey

Gary Stamey

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:34

just say'n: ALL these games play fine on STEAM:

Dreamfall Chapters

The Longest Journey

Return To Mysterious Island

Return To Mysterious Island 2