• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ralebeau

ralebeau

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 22:13

An interesting video problem and crash as Book One starts, hitches and artifact bars as Zoe heads through the dreamers but will crash to dark or white screen while dealing with the wardrobe tentacles, sound keeps going and game is still running as far as the process is concerned.

GOG version 64_5.7.4  error checked and reinstalled.

Intel i5 2599 K  8Gb ram

AMD RX 580  8Gb   ver 17.12.1,  tried optional 17.12.2 with same result.

Windows 7 Home premium  DX11

Edited output log repeated entries to fit attach limit.

I have not tried video card un-settings, but did try to set everything low in-game, with no change.

Attached Files

#2 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:36

I'm seeing lots of errors from what looks like dx11.  Since this isn't the first time we've heard about issues with that, I'm going to suggest something that's worked for others, forcing the game to run with dx9:

Hey Njorun!

There is nothing that stands out in the log (it just shows that loading completed successfully and then Magnus calling from the kitchen 7 times  :lol:). 
What might've changed since you last played the game is we switched to DirectX 11, which your GPU supports, but let's test if that's what causes the problem by playing the same scene with DX9.

To do that, add -force-d3d9 to the game's executable.
If you're running through Steam, click "Dreamfall Chapters" in your library, and on the "General" tab, click "Set launch options" and put the *-force-d3d9* in there.
If not running through Steam, create a shortcut to "Dreamfall Chapters.exe" (right click -> Create shortcut), and then right click -> Properties, then in the "Target" field, put *-force-d3d9* at the end.

Let us know if that gets you through! You can go back to DX11 by removing the -force-d3d9 parameter and re-launching the game.

Let us know if that helps.  This is kind of a weird error that seems to be cropping up in lots of Unity games.  Hopefully with more reports like this the guys at RTG can get to the bottom of this.

• khh likes this

#3 ralebeau

ralebeau

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 23:42

magic88889

I did give the "force" a try but could not find a way that the shortcut target didn't refuse the -force-d3d9 addition, with the GOG copy that must be placed in the shortcut call.  Perhaps I need a more step by step example for Windows 7, thought I tried every possible way.

#4 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:27

I'm don't have a system running 7, but the target for your shortcut should look like this:

"D:\Gog Games\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters.exe" -force-d3d9

Of course putting your own filepath instead of this one.  Note that there is a space between the filepath and the switch.

#5 ralebeau

ralebeau

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 18:57

Turns out that I did get the force to work once before and again now with the steps confirmed, but the crash still happens so I am afraid it is something more individual to my system/OS/video card/driver combination.  The card and driver are a recent update and show plenty of other problems, like artifacts left on the desktop after closing the Radeon console itself.  The crash also kills the Radeon settings program running in the background.  The first time the crash happened it blew out the desktop's power supply and I can hear the cards fans spin up to high when I get to this area to try new options.  Will try again later when they have a new driver online.  Thanks for the help.

#6 Al Dhi

Al Dhi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 January 2018 - 19:06

Artifacts on the desktop sounds like something is wrong with you GPU indeed. Did they already appear before the power supply snapped? You could try wiping your Radeon driver with the Display Driver Uninstaller tool (version 17.0.8.2 is the newest) and redownload the recent driver from AMD's website. You could also use Radeon Chill or the Frame Rate Target Control setting to force a really low FPS rate during this segment of the game - Maybe that would alleviate some of the heavy load your GPU is under.

It sounds like a very nasty crash to be honest. Now I'm hesitant to replay the game on my new system if this is actually an issue with the new Radeon driver.

#7 ralebeau

ralebeau

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 18:09

I don't think the driver is the whole issue here, after another power supply blew out I went back to an R9 290 card and even with the "new" driver I had with the 580 card (17.12.1 and 17.50.02 driver) the game is playing fine on high video settings.  Might have been an issue with that individual 580 card, will see if XFX wants a look-see.

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7105 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 January 2018 - 22:58

I don't think the driver is the whole issue here, after another power supply blew out I went back to an R9 290 card and even with the "new" driver I had with the 580 card (17.12.1 and 17.50.02 driver) the game is playing fine on high video settings.  Might have been an issue with that individual 580 card, will see if XFX wants a look-see.

It definitively sounds like there's something seriously wrong with that 580 card. It must be drawing significantly more power than it's supposed to.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users