#61 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 20 October 2014 - 14:16

Apart from Cortez, one of the Kin and as such in the know, has confirmed it? No.

No. Unless I missed half the game.

There is just a gap in information that I would liked filled in lol
Its just that one stumbling block for me, otherwise I think its fine.

but im like that with every theory. not just this one.

#62 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2014 - 15:43

I think you're overcomplicating things a bit. As far as we know, there is only one path from Stark to Arcadia, through "the world of dreams". Dreams are also described as a force that holds the two worlds together. The flow of dreams, therefore, is like a stream between those worlds. Given how far April walks during her first Shift before arriving in Arcadia, Shifting does not work like the Portal gun. It's more like a tunnel. And what else could that tunnel be made of, that can transport someone between worlds via the "world of dreams"?

Hey, maybe we're all wrong, but it is the most likely answer to why April can't Shift.

• Rowan37 likes this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Twitch Stream

#63 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 20 October 2014 - 15:50

I think you're overcomplicating things a bit.

I thought my point was kinda simple lol

As far as we know, there is only one path from Stark to Arcadia, through "the world of dreams".

You could go via the guardians realm. I'm not sure if that would still infringe on the storytime however. But that's a whole different debate.

but it is the most likely answer to why April can't Shift.

My one issue with it aside, I agree. Tho i'll be sticking to the loss of faith idea until the game tells me otherwise, cos thats just how I roll B)

#64 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:36

Oh ye of little... erm... faith.

• wandrew, Lee-m, DiskJunky and 1 other like this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Twitch Stream

#65 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:38

faith.

Bottoms up!

• wandrew likes this

#66 virumor

virumor

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 21:48

What happened to the previous Guardian at the end of TLJ? Is it totally impossible that he's the Prophet from Dreamfall?

• wandrew likes this

#67 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:18

What happened to the previous Guardian at the end of TLJ? Is it totally impossible that he's the Prophet from Dreamfall?

After teaching Gordon the ropes, he would have returned to Stark. It is, however, not a strech to guess that all Guardians are Shifter, in which case he could have moved on to Arcadia.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#68 imef

imef

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:08

A question just occurred to me.

Do we know what happened exactly to Adrian (former guardian of the balance) after Gordon came to power?

#69 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:11

Do we know what happened exactly to Adrian (former guardian of the balance) after Gordon came to power?

No, we don't. He would have had to return to Stark after teaching Gordon, but it's no great supposition that all Guardians are Shifters. I'm hoping we will get an answer to this.

• Rowan37 likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#70 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:15

And who killed Tobias?

• Rowan37 likes this

#71 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:14

I'm not sure if there's a contradiction here, is there? The Collapse presumably refers to an economic collapse due to various kinds of technology ceasing to work. But the "leaking" of things between worlds probably happened during this period as well while Gordon was getting his bearings and sorting things out.

Emma: Those of us who saw it... You don't forget something like that. But there were things happening even before the Collapse, strange things, like...like dreams leaking through into the waking world.

I think this suggests that there's some similarity between what happened during the Collapse and the things that were happening just before it. But what defines the Collapse is the fact that society kind of almost fell apart as well.

Yes... possibly. I can get behind this, although it does bug me a bit, because for me the biggest trauma of what we know about the Collapse are the "victims" (that's what they're referred to as) - the people who vanished. If they're "victims of the Collapse", it implies their trauma is caused by the Collapse itself, not events concurrent with but tangential to the event of the Collapse itself. I don't know, we're getting into semantics now. I'll say this - I can accept your explanation if we never hear another word on the Collapse but I am open to new information coming to light about it in order to explain things more satisfyingly.

Good one! I'll add it.

It seems that only one, MAYBE two of my questions were answered by the first book of DFC. What!!

Specifically regarding the fates of Damien, Liv, and April! Maybe.

#72 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:48

If social order brakes down, a lot of people will get inexplicably gone. Anarchy and fear can be a very devastating thing, it doesn't have to be supernatural in nature.

• toremygg and Starseeker like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#73 Thomas Krispinus

Thomas Krispinus

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 18:31

Not sure if this question fits in this thread, but trying.

Did anyone else notice that the desk and chair in the Library of the Dark People in Dreamfall is of Azadi craft? The six sit on the same kind of chairs, and the emissary has a chair and desk just like it. 

• wandrew, khh, thelj and 2 others like this

#74 April-Alpha

April-Alpha

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:05

Hi!
I love this forum and I love this topic :D

It's a stupid thing, I know. I don't know if you mentioned it. Probably I missed it. But why the announcer on the screen when Zoe was in her room at the biginning of DF (I  guess) is called Ryan? Is he April's brother? I remember April wrote in her diary in TLJ she had a litter brother, is he that? I know, it's not so important, but it's just my curiosity :P

Sorry for my worse English :blush:

• Tiago likes this

#75 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 19:31

It seemed like Ryan was the news anchors first name, not last. Besides April's brothers, Danny and Owen, are both younger than April. Danny would be at most 27 by the time of Dreamfall. The news anchor seemed older to me. So I wouldn't really expect it, though it's possible.

April Ryan is my friend,

#76 April-Alpha

April-Alpha

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 22:49

It seemed like Ryan was the news anchors first name, not last. Besides April's brothers, Danny and Owen, are both younger than April. Danny would be at most 27 by the time of Dreamfall. The news anchor seemed older to me. So I wouldn't really expect it, though it's possible.

I didn't remember there are two brothers. My memory is worse than my English.
I agree with you. Most probably Ryan is the first name, probably a red herring, probably a simple coincidence. I don't know, I'm confused.
I want some answers :tear:

#77 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:40

And who killed Tobias?

I replay TLJ and the game hints that Tobias was killed by Vanguard agents. I think that it is quite possible that Tobias was a serious target for Vanguard.

#78 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 06 November 2014 - 15:32

About the collapse: The story in TLJ only follows April, so we don't know what happened once she was on that space station. Maybe the "leaking" got worse and Emma & Charlie saw some of that. The collapse itself could be the very change of guardians, something that for a moment turns everything into chaos. Don't forget that the Guardian's realm was displayed as somewhere in/beyond space (wormhole ftw). The collapse could have been similar to a sun exploding, which would explain why Space travel doesn't work anymore in DF. Now imagine that people were in space at the time of the collapse, travelling to the colonies: they could have disappeared into Arcadia. I remember seeing oddly "modern" or not "really fitting in" people in Dreamfall. I believe Zoe actually said she thinks they look differently to the locals.

One thing that really shook me through and may "explain" a few things that seemed rather strange: The recap for DFC says the thief of dreams is reshaping reality at his/her will. What if he influences Gordon? We know he/or the undreaming itself is already somehow influencing the Vagabond.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#79 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 November 2014 - 15:45

I replay TLJ and the game hints that Tobias was killed by Vanguard agents. I think that it is quite possible that Tobias was a serious target for Vanguard.

Yeah, but there's also the strange part I've bolded

April: Is Vestrum Tobias around?
Minstrum Yerin: Oh, goodness, you do not know? I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Tobias....he's dead. Murdered.
April: No! By whom?
Minstrum Yerin: We don't know. but we suspect Vanguard agents, of course. In the chaos of the evacuation, the soldiers had their hands full making sure no one was trampled, and that looters were promptly apprehended. When we visited the temple after everyone had left -- there were so many books and valuable artifacts we wanted to bring here, for safe keeping -- we found Tobias by the murals he loved so dearly. He's been stabbed in the heart, and from the looks of it, he didn't resist much at all. He probably even knew his assailant.
April: Why Tobias? He was the kindest, gentlest man I've ever known. Always helpful, always ready to listen. I'll really miss him.

Don't forget that the Guardian's realm was displayed as somewhere in/beyond space (wormhole ftw). The collapse could have been similar to a sun exploding, which would explain why Space travel doesn't work anymore in DF.

Didn't we have confirmation that the problem with space travel in DF was that FTL travel stopped working?
I also don't quite see why what happened in the Guardian's Realm should look like a sun exploding. There didn't seem to be anything that energetic going on.

April Ryan is my friend,

#80 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 16:39

About the collapse: Now imagine that people were in space at the time of the collapse, travelling to the colonies: they could have disappeared into Arcadia. I remember seeing oddly "modern" or not "really fitting in" people in Dreamfall. I believe Zoe actually said she thinks they look differently to the locals.

So maybe Azadi are result of Collapse? People from Stark transfered to Arcadia. Collapse Memorial in Europolis mentioned "For Those Who  Lost"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users