#1 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 22:39

I’ve been an obsessed fan for quite some time, but I’ve refrained from posting much at all before now until I had completely collected my thoughts.

In this post I plan on amassing a whole lump of crap into it, so it’s going to be very long. First off, I’ve compiled a list of all the unanswered questions that occurred to me while playing through the series multiple times. Hopefully it will be a useful/interesting refresher for you guys (and a checklist once DFC comes out  :evilwonk:  - KIDDING... sort of)! Obviously this is going to be a frightening list, but I’ve tried my best to put it in (vaguely) chronological order, though this isn’t a guarantee.

Second, at the end I’m going to collect a number of theories I agree with or have been working on.

Now I present to you "102 questions TLJ and DF have left me with." I would also very much appreciate and welcome additions and corrections to this list, as I'm only human. On with the show! :-)

Spoiler

ETA some additional questions:

Spoiler

I’m going to present some musings that I'm sure have been shared before on the (many iterations of these) forums (I don’t have time to rifle through the many threads, but I have seen these ideas pop up in the past), and some that are my own wild speculation. Generally I've tried to present my theory or position on the topic in the topic sentence, and then I spend the rest of the paragraph(s) trying to back it up/refute it with canonical evidence, and I’ve clearly demarcated each one for maximum clarity.

1. CONCERNING THE ATTACK ON THE WHITE KIN:

Spoiler

2. CONCERNING THE UNDREAMING AND MANNY CHAVEZ:

Spoiler

3. CONCERNING EINGANA AND THE AZADI TOWER:

Spoiler

4. CONCERNING STEAM TECHNOLOGY:

Spoiler

5. CONCERNING APRIL’S DEATH SCENE:

Spoiler

6. CONCERNING IMAGERY:

Spoiler

7. CONCERNING THE IDENTITY OF THE WHITE LADY:

Spoiler

8. CONCERNING THE KIN, ZOË, KIAN, THE PROPHET, AND THE ENDING IN ACCORDANCE WITH NARRATIVE LOOSE THREADS/PATTERNS:

Spoiler

• Jecica, WorldsReunited, Riaise and 10 others like this

#2 imef

imef

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 23:38

Wowsers. That's quite a read. I'll have to go other that once again.

Very interesting!

My theory (and others too I guess), is that April will return in DFC, but reincarnated as the new White Draic (Considering the White lady is indeed dead).

It has also been suggested that the events of DFC would lead to the reunification of both worlds.

#3 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:12

It has also been suggested that the events of DFC would lead to the reunification of both worlds.

Ragnar said that events from Dreamfall Chapters will lead to War Of The Balance so my guess is that Chapters will set up events for reunification and TLJH plot.

• spyked and Amistat like this

#4 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:22

I like nr2 very much, I've always been wondering why that prolog with westhouse ever existed, to be able to coennect it like you do actually would make sense (but I hope it's going to turn out a bit different ingame). I mean what is the undreaming doing in these 10 years since april has removed the watch and why didn't it move in that period ?

the theory certainly gives the brawl on the building on top of the malkuth technology building a very new meaning, maybe mcallan wanted to just start ruling humanity (the age of dragons has come) with the undreaming as a weapon, but cortez knows that maybe also draic kin would be affected if the undreaming would annex the worlds created by the story time ? so he finds it a stupid ideas (don't you know you sound like a badly written play) Who knows ?

Also yes i've always assumed einganaz and the tower were connected, and that at the end you can hear all the souols in the tower right at the moment dreamtime had been released. But I've always been kind of wondering what eingana actually iss, a captured space being ? Something from arcadia that has been reindoctrinated to function as biocomputer ?

I'd think that if april would have to become a dragon form she would have to go trough the story time to find this strength to do so, maybe with the help of Zoe ?

So much ideas and thoughts that you can give in this story it's amazing and it's cool to witness the problem in a month! (yay, just a month from now)

• WorldsReunited likes this

#5 imef

imef

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 19:51

I'd think that if april would have to become a dragon form she would have to go trough the story time to find this strength to do so, maybe with the help of Zoe ?

That could actually join one of tummy's ideas. The one that Zoe's presence in the swamp town helped a wounded April shift to the Story time. Zoe being stuck there at the end of DF, she may help April get reincarnated in the White. Thus explaining the name of the chapter: "Rebirth".

#6 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 22:58

Thus explaining the name of the chapter: "Rebirth".

I think "Rebirth" (or "Reborn" - not sure which one's the final title of Book 1) has a lot of meanings - Zoe being reborn to the waking world; Kian being 'reborn' into the next phase of his life, now that he's not an Apostle anymore; and, on a meta-level, the TLJ series being reborn after its 8-year hiatus.  Not saying you're wrong about April, but there are a couple possible interpretations. 

#7 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:04

I mean what is the undreaming doing in these 10 years since april has removed the watch and why didn't it move in that period ?

That is an interesting question - perhaps setting up future events - killing Tobias via Westhouse and spreading Starkian technology among the Azadi might serve a larger nefarious purpose. Perhaps the Undreaming needs (to devour) a dreamer and that's why it's been dormant until Zoë enters the picture and makes it known what she is. Nothing to go on here but pure speculation but there's lots of ways of this still being possible.

Also yes i've always assumed einganaz and the tower were connected, and that at the end you can hear all the souols in the tower right at the moment dreamtime had been released. But I've always been kind of wondering what eingana actually iss, a captured space being ? Something from arcadia that has been reindoctrinated to function as biocomputer ?

This has been on my mind as well. Eingana seems to me to be connected to the dragons. Maybe it's (part of) Cortez the Red.

That could actually join one of tummy's ideas. The one that Zoe's presence in the swamp town helped a wounded April shift to the Story time. Zoe being stuck there at the end of DF, she may help April get reincarnated in the White. Thus explaining the name of the chapter: "Rebirth".

That is a fascinating idea. I quite like the thought that Zoë helps April shift to Storytime, it makes sense since Zoë in particular has a connection to the place. I'm wondering if it's been confirmed that the White is dead? It certainly would make sense for April to take over as the new Mother in that case, and I agree - that would certainly fit the theme of rebirth very well. I really like the idea that April does not shift to Stark to a hospital or to Charlie's apartment or something... this would seem out of place to me.

#8 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:26

Trying to go through as much as these as possible, will be updated.  :P

Spoiler

Also I'll add one:

Spoiler

• Riaise likes this

#9 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 September 2014 - 13:31

How did Brian get his bicycle and gun (among other things, perhaps), to Arcadia, if they were not shown going with him across the divide in DF? Is this just a logistical error?

Yeah, this one sounds like an error to me.

He could potentially have made himself a crude version of a bicycle, and we know that other objects have passed from Stark to Arcadia (calculator, anyone?), so he may have procured the gun (and possibly the bicycle) after he arrived.

Was there any meaning to the fireworks in the swamp city other than their being a chronological marker for players?

Just a chronological marker, I think.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it was a flare sent up as a signal to Vamon. I don't know if that's confirmed or if it was just a theory, though.

#10 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 13:48

He could potentially have made himself a crude version of a bicycle, and we know that other objects have passed from Stark to Arcadia (calculator, anyone?), so he may have procured the gun (and possibly the bicycle) after he arrived.

Don't forget the whiskey he had too, though. And other Starker accoutrements, like his jacket and hat.

#11 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 14:41

While relatively rare, there were other shifters beside April. They might have brought various items from Stark over time, such is the calculator.

• Riaise likes this

#12 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 17:10

While relatively rare, there were other shifters beside April. They might have brought various items from Stark over time, such is the calculator.

Agreed - and we don't know the upper limit of junk that a Shifter can carry through a Shift, so it's possible that a Shifter could have brought the bicycle over from Stark, too.

Also, on the fireworks in the Swamp City - my recollection was that it was both a time marker - to let the player synch up April, Zoe, and Kian's locations in the scene - but also a signal to the Azadi airships that the Scorpion was coming, and they should prepare to attack. Could be wrong, though.
  • Riaise and Dmm like this

#13 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 19:47

Also, on the fireworks in the Swamp City - my recollection was that it was both a time marker - to let the player synch up April, Zoe, and Kian's locations in the scene - but also a signal to the Azadi airships that the Scorpion was coming, and they should prepare to attack. Could be wrong, though.

I read the transcript and it is not real clear who sent up the flare. Only Kian thought it might be some sort of signal. But which side sent it up? Was it an advance party of the Azadi sending a signal for the airships to move in or was it a Swap City lookout trying to warn the people that they were about to be invaded. LIke you, I think the former is the more likely because nobody, including April, seemed overly alarmed at the flare/fireworks.

#14 imef

imef

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 22:05

I've finally had the courage to read through the whole post.

28. What caused the Collapse? Was it the new Guardian at the end of TLJ, Faith’s death, or something else?

29. What sort of things did people “[see] during the collapse”? What happened? Was there a related event in Arcadia or was it a Stark-specific event?

That's actually one of my favorite subjects in TLJ (almost as much as Maerum/Alatien lore).

First of all, it's important to know that the collapse was basically a massive failure for modern technologies. Communication with the colonies was cut, anti-gravity technology became worthless, ...

My guess is that since Adrian had spent about 200 extra years as the guardian, the balance was gradually getting troubled. That means that anti-gravity may have relied on magic to work. When Gordon became the guardian, balance was suddenly fixed. All the magic in Stark simply vanished; making technology relying on magic worthless.

As for "what people saw", I assume Gordon's arrival on the Guardian's throne didn't suddenly remove all the magic at once. There could have been some transition time during which chaos kept leaking to Stark.

It is also unknown what were the consequences of the Collapse in Arcadia. Cortez told April that the situation was worse in Arcadia than in Stark. I guess the consequences may have been heavy.

I suspect that subject will be explored further in TLJ:Home.

We will see at least one of the Kin before the end but they will leave the world to the humans at the very end of the story (perhaps in TLJH)

I believe Ragnar Tornquist said something about having Cortez involved in DFC or TLJ:H

• Rowan37 likes this

#15 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:24

That's actually one of my favorite subjects in TLJ (almost as much as Maerum/Alatien lore).
First of all, it's important to know that the collapse was basically a massive failure for modern technologies. Communication with the colonies was cut, anti-gravity technology became worthless, ...
My guess is that since Adrian had spent about 200 extra years as the guardian, the balance was gradually getting troubled. That means that anti-gravity may have relied on magic to work. When Gordon became the guardian, balance was suddenly fixed. All the magic in Stark simply vanished; making technology relying on magic worthless.

As for "what people saw", I assume Gordon's arrival on the Guardian's throne didn't suddenly remove all the magic at once. There could have been some transition time during which chaos kept leaking to Stark.
It is also unknown what were the consequences of the Collapse in Arcadia. Cortez told April that the situation was worse in Arcadia than in Stark. I guess the consequences may have been heavy.
I suspect that subject will be explored further in TLJ:Home.

This is an interesting possibility and not one I had considered before. However, I have three things to ask you about before I'm sold. First, given that the most devastating part of the collapse seemed to be the disappearance of a large number of people off the face of the earth, would you say that the reason behind this is that those people had magic/a magical race mixed in somewhere in their bloodline in the last 200 years and were thus pulled over into Arcadia? If so, why has there been no mention in Arcadia of a sudden influx of confused Starkians? That would have presumably been a hugely major event. Unless most/all people are stuck in between like Brian was after his attempt to pass between the worlds. If that's the case though, why wouldn't a similar thing have happened when the divide was first created and family members were ripped apart? Tobias never mentioned any requisite delay where people were stuck in time.

Second, are you implying that scientists in Stark were aware that their physical laws were failing and were using the magic consciously to repair troubled anti-grav systems for instance? If the magic wasn't used consciously, then why would the magic naturally and spontaneously help achieve order in Stark when magic has always been aligned with producing chaos?

Third, what were people "seeing" when the collapse occurred? If it was just the disappearance of things I can't imagine it would be as scarring as the Starkians are painting it as. If it involves the appearance of scientific objects from Arcadia then why was there no corresponding events in Arcadia (see my first question).

#16 imef

imef

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:50

This is an interesting possibility and not one I had considered before. However, I have three things to ask you about before I'm sold. First, given that the most devastating part of the collapse seemed to be the disappearance of a large number of people off the face of the earth, would you say that the reason behind this is that those people had magic/a magical race mixed in somewhere in their bloodline in the last 200 years and were thus pulled over into Arcadia? If so, why has there been no mention in Arcadia of a sudden influx of confused Starkians? That would have presumably been a hugely major event. Unless most/all people are stuck in between like Brian was after his attempt to pass between the worlds. If that's the case though, why wouldn't a similar thing have happened when the divide was first created and family members were ripped apart? Tobias never mentioned any requisite delay where people were stuck in time.

Second, are you implying that scientists in Stark were aware that their physical laws were failing and were using the magic consciously to repair troubled anti-grav systems for instance? If the magic wasn't used consciously, then why would the magic naturally and spontaneously help achieve order in Stark when magic has always been aligned with producing chaos?

Third, what were people "seeing" when the collapse occurred? If it was just the disappearance of things I can't imagine it would be as scarring as the Starkians are painting it as. If it involves the appearance of scientific objects from Arcadia then why was there no corresponding events in Arcadia (see my first question).

I've been looking around a bit and haven't found anything about people vanishing.

If there were indeed vanishings, my guess would be that at the moment of the restoration of the Balance, the worlds were close to merging again. Some entire parts of Arcadia were leaked into Stark. The restoration seperated both worlds properly once again, and people in the leaks were moved.

Humans being non magical creatures, being shifted from one world to another would have little consequences.

But as you said, it was mentionned nowhere that Stark people were found in Arcadia.

As for the science part, the magical phenomena may have been interpreted in a scientific maner. By that, I mean that scientists noticed that for some obscure reason, an object is capable of defying laws of gravity. From those observations, engineers could establish some usage. In the 200 last years that Adrian had spent as the guardian, the balance was gradually failing. Allowing a bit of chaos in the order and probably vice-versa.

Very little is known of the consequences in Arcadia. All I can recall of that period is the Tyreen invasion and the Azadi intervention.

I found this old forum thread about this subject. It may answer a few questions.

#17 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:03

I think Charlie mentions this in one of the convos at the Fringe, but I can't check now. I always assumed it was just due to accidents and the general chaos, nothing magical or otherwise strange - just what happens. Don't think it should be over-interpreted.

• Riaise likes this

#18 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 September 2014 - 19:58

I believe Ragnar Tornquist said something about having Cortez involved in DFC or TLJH.

Ragnar said that Cortez is huge part of TLJ saga and big part of Dreamer Cycle.

• Amistat likes this

#19 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:27

Just a thought, don't know if it's been up before.

At the time of Dreamfall, the Collapse is in the past by what, ten years? AG tech and a lot of other tech is no longer working. When we get to Arcadia, there's very low-grade tech there, which there shouldn't really be (although I can't for the life of me figure out a realistic mechanic for keeping tech out of a world. Magic, yes. Tech, no.).

So, did the Collapse shift the Balance towards Arcadia, which had been leaning too much towards Stark? I know the idea of AG and other supertechs being part magic wasn't too well received by some, but could this explain it? We don't know how long the Azadi have had the tech for, but if that period matches up with the Collapse...? ;)

/rambling thoughts

#20 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 13:52

Ooh, I have an Unresolved Question: How did April get back to the Journeyman from the Dream Chamber?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users