agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 December 2017 - 20:28

[link to KS update]

Holiday greetings

c02984a240c40a82c6ae1f950b57367f_origina

It's slowly getting dark outside. There's snow on the ground. The faint tones of distant

Christmas music can be heard through frosted windows.

Most of Team Red Thread have left the building — and, in some cases, the country — to

celebrate the holidays with friends and family. Computers have gone silent, fridges have

been emptied out and icicles are slowly forming beneath abandoned chairs. (This happens

very quickly; it's winter in Norway.)

Before the rest of us leave these rapidly chilling premises, we want to wish our backers a

Very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Thanks as ever for sticking with us and for being the most patient and supportive group of

backers anyone could hope for. We look forward to sharing lots more with you in the new

year — including the long-awaited physical rewards (which are on schedule to start

shipping in January, yay!).

But we can't end the year without sharing something from what we're working on, and art

director Christoffer was generous enough to allow us to post a teaser from one of the

upcoming Journeys comic-book stories. So here it is: page one of 'The Propheseer'. We 

hope you love it as much as we do!

ceb0c785f3746b7a5b19b0716caa3848_origina

(You can read the rest of this story, along with three more stories, in the Journeys collection,

coming soon.)

And teaser #2: the comic-book stories in this collection are titled 'The Propheseer',

'Mountains to Cross', 'Time and Worlds', and 'Woka Sleep'. Every story is drawn by a different

artist, set in a different world, follows different characters, all connected to Dreamfall

Chapters.

We know you already own Dreamfall Chapters, but in case you're looking for a last-minute

Christmas present and want to share the experience with a friend or family, The Final Cut is

currently on sale in the Steam Winter Sale — at a 60% discount.

244dc56cec88294ddf0e0e30c6da7376_origina

Our game is also part of two very cool bundles. The first is The Longest Journey Bundle,

which collects the entire saga — at a 20% discount.

b11ded997bdc7b9a35aeaf0a13ed51cf_origina

The second is a brand new bundle called Made in Norway, which collects five games that

are...made in Norway!

49333a9b90ce0618ad6fa34462b59462_origina

Dreamfall aside, these represent the very best of the New Norwegian Wave of indie games,

and we highly recommend giving this a look. You get Owlboy from D-Pad, Among the Sleep

from Krillbite, Earthlock from Snowcastle and World to the West from Rain. This is a great,

great bundle, and even though you already own at least one of the games, it's worth

checking out — and you get a 20% discount on all the games, on top of the Steam Winter

Sale discount.

We'll be back in early January. Until then, we wish you all a peaceful and happy conclusion to

2017!

Team RTG

• khh, Ringtail, loranna238 and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 23:45

I think it's so cool that the graphic novel is going to help explain where Saga got all her prophecies from! I hope it'll make her seem a little less deus-ex-machina. I think they should keep expanding Saga's life into a long series of graphic novels.

• CosmicD, Veen Friend and Starseeker like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 23 December 2017 - 00:59

Little question for experts (someone asked before probably, but I could not find).

I have Dreamfall Chapters Special Edition from Steam which RTG was removed from the store now. Were there any comments about Journeys Birth for it?
  • Death by Diarrhea likes this

#4 Szpadelek

Szpadelek

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPoland, Bydgoszcz

Posted 23 December 2017 - 18:01

By the way I hope the creators decide to dubinng the game in other languages. I am still waiting for a Polish version

#5 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 December 2017 - 00:13

That art is darned pretty.

#6 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:19

Little question for experts (someone asked before probably, but I could not find).

I have Dreamfall Chapters Special Edition from Steam which RTG was removed from the store now. Were there any comments about Journeys Birth for it?

The Journey's Birth short stories are mainly Kickstarter rewards, as far as I know.

http://tlj.wikia.com.../Journeys_Birth

I see no reason why Journey's Birth (and other rewards) couldn't be for sale for everyone, as dlc or whatever.

#7 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3043 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:28

The Journey's Birth short stories are mainly Kickstarter rewards, as far as I know.

http://tlj.wikia.com.../Journeys_Birth

I see no reason why Journey's Birth (and other rewards) couldn't be for sale for everyone, as dlc or whatever.

I think I do recall them being a part of the special edition, at least on GOG.

#8 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:50

By the way I hope the creators decide to dubinng the game in other languages. I am still waiting for a Polish version

Most people have this game at this point, so investing in dubbing doesn't look profitable.

#9 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:20

You're right. But the same version of the game was in Steam. And it had the same bundle like a GOG version.
Here is a preview from Steam:
v5hiwJWcjsI.jpg

I bought it on 11/01/2016. And now it is displayed in my Steam account.

Despite this, you will not be able to find it in Steam now.

#10 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:43

You're right. But the same version of the game was in Steam. And it had the same bundle like a GOG version.
Here is a preview from Steam:
v5hiwJWcjsI.jpg

I bought it on 11/01/2016. And now it is displayed in my Steam account.

Despite this, you will not be able to find it in Steam now.

Humble store still has the special edition for sale. Not sure if this edition is/was identical in steam, gog and humble. Humble store certainly lists Journey's Birth as included.

Since only book one art and soundtrack is included with the special edition, I would guess that's why it's no longer for sale. A bundle with full art book, full soundtrack and Journey's Birth would make more sense now when the final cut is out.

https://www.humblebu...special-edition

Special Edition Includes:

Reborn: The Art of Dreamfall Chapters Book One — a digital art book featuring concept art and illustrations from the first episode of Dreamfall Chapters (coming soon!) 

Journeys Birth — two short stories in PDF and ebook formats, set in The Longest Journey universe and leading up to the events in Dreamfall Chapters (available October 20th) 

Digital soundtrack featuring music from Dreamfall Chapters Book One in FLAC and MP3 format (available November 1st) 

Digital Europolis tourist map! Sponsored by Niyom Media and presented by Crowboy, everyone’s favourite crow cowboy (coming soon!) 

7 HD wallpapers (coming soon!) 

5 digital avatars featuring characters from Dreamfall Chapters (coming soon!)

#11 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 15:39

Not sure if this edition is/was identical in steam, gog and humble. Humble store certainly lists Journey's Birth as included.

I can't find description for Special Edition from Steam in any archives (in web.archive.org for example) now, but my copy of the game included the same, yes. All this is already in the main directory of the game. Except Journey's Birth of course.

But JB only has to appear. And the DLC in the set of which I purchased it technically does not exist now. That's what I'm talking about. RTG has never talked about this.

Not sure if this edition is/was identical in steam, gog and humble. Humble store certainly lists Journey's Birth as included.

That's what I did not think about. This actually explains the removal from Steam. But then why such an "incomplete" set is still available in Humble?

I found Thread about this on Steam, but there are also no answers about Journey's Birth.

#12 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 December 2017 - 15:47

I can not now find that description in any archives (in web.archive.org for example), but my copy of the game included the same, yes. All this is already in the main directory of the game. Except Journey's Birth of course.

But JB only has to appear. And the DLC in the set of which I purchased it technically does not exist now. That's what I'm talking about. None of the team has ever talked about this.

That's what I did not think about. This actually explains the removal from Steam. But then why such an "incomplete" set is still available in Humble?

I found a Thread about this on Steam, but there are also no answers about Journey's Birth.

Journey's Birth should appear in a patch for the special edition at some point then, alongside the other addons. But I wouldn't be surprised if RTG forget about it.

I own the digital journeyman's edition, so I should get Journey's Birth as soon as it's shipped to the other backers? But I'm not holding my breath.

#13 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 16:30

Journey's Birth should appear in a patch for the special edition at some point then, alongside the other addons. But I wouldn't be surprised if RTG forget about it.

Then I will very much hope for a patch (:

But I'm not holding my breath.

It's sad ): But I'm really looking forward to it. I think that Christer Sveen (I really love his artwork for DF) also works on Journey's Birth. And I think that the main character of one of them will be April. And this means that Journey's Birth will be absolutely incredible!
  • Mr Moo likes this

#14 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 December 2017 - 16:50

Also remember that the original kickstarter mentions "Journeys Birth" (short stories also with audiobook) and "Journeys comic book" as two different things. I mixed them up first and thought they reinvented Birth as comic books.

But the fact that Ragnar said they didn't intend the comic book to be made available other than for backers, probably means that they are not the Journeys Birth stories that are included in the special editions..
(Christoffer answered one disappointed person on facebook saying they'll probably end up being leaked/shared, as with everything these days. I think it's a bit strange if they don't make them available for purchase digitally though, if they're expecting them being pirated anyway)
  • agirlnamedbob, Ringtail, Valiah and 4 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#15 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 17:33

Also remember that the original kickstarter mentions "Journeys Birth" (short stories also with audiobook) and "Journeys comic book" as two different things. I mixed them up first and thought they reinvented Birth as comic books.

But the fact that Ragnar said they didn't intend the comic book to be made available other than for backers, probably means that they are not the Journeys Birth stories that are included in the special editions..
(Christoffer answered one disappointed person on facebook saying they'll probably end up being leaked/shared, as with everything these days. I think it's a bit strange if they don't make them available for purchase digitally though, if they're expecting them being pirated anyway)

Yeah, they should definitely find a way to sell them.  Comixology or Steam or just a PayPal button on their website.  It's probably not a huge revenue source, but why not let folks who want to pay for your content do it?

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, khh and 3 others like this

#16 Lautaro

Lautaro

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 26 December 2017 - 15:54

Chistoffer is a very talented guy, love that page, like a lot!

#17 Death by Diarrhea

Death by Diarrhea

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:02

I also have the Special Edition DLC in Steam, though now it has been removed, I would like to get clarification on the Journeys Birth too from RTG just to be sure.

#18 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 27 December 2017 - 21:19

But the fact that Ragnar said they didn't intend the comic book to be made available other than for backers.

I will be very grateful for the link to this. Can you remember when or where he said it?

Yeah, they should definitely find a way to sell them. Comixology or Steam or just a PayPal button on their website. It's probably not a huge revenue source, but why not let folks who want to pay for your content do it?

I totally agree! Even if I never get any of this in my Special Edition. I'm ready to be the one of the first to buy it right now. For any price.

• Death by Diarrhea likes this

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 December 2017 - 21:37

I will be very grateful for the link to this. Can you remember when or where he said it?

[link]

• Ringtail and Lihoku like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#20 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 21:42

https://twitter.com/...729216200921088

[link]

Thanks, Erika! I'm hopeful that the wording there ("in print first") means that they're contemplating making electronic versions available for purchase to non-backers eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users