6 replies to this topic

#1 Ugartero

Ugartero

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 17:50

Dreamfall Chapters has disappointed me very much, more than anything because the change they've done in character's faces, as well as in the structure of Marcuria. This is a habit of Ragnar's team that I never liked, specially when, as it happens in this case, change is for worse. In the previous release (Dreamfall: The Longest Journey) Zoë had a more sympathetic and "take it easy" expresion; here, however, she seems a shy, scarious creature, who fisically doesn't look like Zoë-Dreamfall more that one sister can looks like the other. But the badest making is Kian, who in the previous game had a noble, loyal and elegant aspect, and here he looks like a bandit, a sucky man who walks along the streets of Marcuria with the aim of making evil. In other way, Saga's character is an intruder who roughly fits in the story.
If we consider Marcuria in Dreamfall as reality, Marcuria in Chapters is a bad dream: the beauty and simplicity of Dreamfall has shifted in a large, unkown and annoying town. Certainly, the plot requires that Marcuria has more places where performing scenes, but this could have been done without modifying senseless the main structure.
In the Book One we meet a Zoë who has nothing better to do that playing with little bots (or, as a less grotesque alternative, taking care of the river), in a plot rather boring. Because of that, it's grateful to see how in the following Looks the story gets better and goes near Dreamfall spirit. Certainly, Dreamfall is a tale with a magic, a mystery and a charming that, no doubt, its makers had tried to transmit to Chapters, but they've failed. As the plot is designed, it would be better not to make Dreamfall Chapters and integrate its Book Five in Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. If this would be done, I would consider this said game as one of the goodest games played in my life.
My disagreement has come to the top when I've known the selfpraising that Ragnar's team has done and the big halo that they've given to a game that don't worth it at all. Neither have decreased my disagreement their delays, their erratic behaviour, their changing or removing scenes from the game, their incompetence to fix rightly the bugs...
Since I have, as you see, a rather negative opinion of the game, can be surprising that I recomend it, at least to those who played Dreamfall, so they'll see that the story don't ene so bad. Besides, Chapters has some beatiful scenes too. In any way, Chapters isn't worth with Dreamfall, and that is, actually, its only failure.

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 06 December 2017 - 22:17

DFC Marcuria is far more accurate and in-line with the original TLJ than Dreamfall was. Its one aspect of the game I was really happy with. It was just a shame the path to the tower was blocked off. Other than that, it was perfect.

• Edreamer Jamil and Starseeker like this

#3 Valiah

Valiah

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 December 2017 - 00:53

I know opinions on the new character models have been very divided from the beginning, but personally I feel this is one thing they did a really good job on. IMO both Zoë and Kian are instantly recognizable. I feel they stayed true to the original character designs from Dreamfall, while obviously updating the models with improved textures. The changes in appearance are a reflection of what they have lived through since the end of Dreamfall. 

Zoë's life has been turned upside down - not only did she spend a year in a coma, she was almost killed by her mother, found out her father had been lying to her, and that one of her closest friends have been killed. Then she started a new life in a much less sunny part of the world. Kian is a man who has lost his faith and his identity after the events in Dreamfall, and has spend the last year in jail. In both cases I would expect to see some significant changes in their appearance.

Have you played TLJ? You would understand better how Saga fits into the story if you have...

As for Marcuria - you actually see very little of it in Dreamfall compared to all the locations that are shown in TLJ. DFC brings back many of the locations from TLJ that were not explored in Dreamfall, but they were always there. I'm curious what you mean by "modifying senseless the main structure", as I was actually very impressed with how they had managed to keep the layout of Marcuria so consistent, while still expanding the locations. While I haven't done a side by side comparison, the locations that were shown in Dreamfall appear to have a very similar layout in DFC.

While I didn't like some of the scene changes that were made either, and I certainly feel like there are aspects of this project that could have been managed better (particularly communication) - these are things that I thought were done really well. 

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

WARNING: This post may contain opinions, and they might not be yours

#4 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2396 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 16:06

Certainly, the plot requires that Marcuria has more places where performing scenes, but this could have been done without modifying senseless the main structure.

I find this comment really odd - when I first played the Marcuria parts of DFC I remember exploring it, trying to find my way around based on the layout I remembered from Dreamfall, and I was surprised with how right it all was. Every location was where I expected it to be, with extra places in between, obviously, since in DFC  we now explore the whole city, not just parts of it as in Dreamfall - this made navigating Marcuria a much easier and richer experience.

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Valiah and 1 other like this

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1776 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 16:17

I never used the map (I looked at it once on my first play though). I just knew my way around. Sure im a TLJ geek, but I think it proves it was bang on. Marcuria was the stand out part of the game for a TLJ fan. That and The house of all worlds.

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Ringtail and 2 others like this

#6 Ugartero

Ugartero

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 19:45

It seems that the principal disagreement of the people of the forum with my post is my statement that the main structure of Marcuria in Dreamfall is altered in Chapters. You all are right. It's a mistake caused by my difficulty to express in english language, since I'm a spanish player. What I want to say is that, not the main structure, but the frame, the appearance, what we could call the pictoric style of the town in one and in the other game. Ayrede avenue, for example, seems to be more wide and even nice street in Dreamfall that in Chapters, and the same can be said of most of it. I don't say at all that Marcuria-Chapters is a horrible town, but I find it odd because the comparison with Dreamfall.
Valiah, I've played TLJ not less of ten times -so much I like it- and I know that she is a basic character, but I think she must have appeared there, rather in Dreamfall Chapters.

#7 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1776 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 20:31

It's the first Dreamfall game that has the invalid representation. DFC corrected it. The original Dreamfall was very limited mostly due to the original xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users