#1 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2017 - 16:02

Hi all!

Monday August 28th we will be migrating our community forum and website to new servers.

During the time of this migration, we will close down the community for browsing and posting. Also, our current website may become unresponsive while this is going on.

We expect to spend the majority of the day (Monday) on moving the data over to the new server and making sure everything works as intended on the new servers.

Community- and website downtime may drag on further should we bump into any unforeseen issues.

As of now, our migration tests have seemed to work fine, so we're not expecting the downtime to stretch out for too long.

Please note that since we're changing webservers, that also means that we have to update our 'redthreadgames.com'-domain (and sub-domains) to point to different paths.

It may - or may not - take some time for DNS servers to propagate these changes in data/addresses, so please keep that in mind as well.

Other than that, we're happy to finally be able to move on to better servers for our community and website. It's definitely a welcome change.

Hope you all are doing fine, and hope to see you again "on the other side" (dum-dum-DUUUUM!!).  :crow:

Best wishes from all of us at Red Thread Games!

• Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak, khh and 2 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#2 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2317 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 25 August 2017 - 16:57

Other than that, we're happy to finally be able to move on to better servers for our community and website. It's definitely a welcome change.

Hope you all are doing fine, and hope to see you again "on the other side" (dum-dum-DUUUUM!!). :crow:

Best wishes from all of us at Red Thread Games!

That's great, some better/more stable servers sounds really good :)

And yeah, hope to see you guys "on the other side" as well, we've kinda missed you guys here lately ;)
  • khh likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#3 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 25 August 2017 - 17:12

28th - Bank Holiday Monday in the UK.
26th is tomorrow (Saturday).

From my experience of commercial DNS migration, this will take a couple of days.
  • Morten likes this

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2017 - 17:28

That's great, some better/more stable servers sounds really good :)

And yeah, hope to see you guys "on the other side" as well, we've kinda missed you guys here lately ;)

We're reading most stuff on here. At least I do personally.
But to be honest, I don't have the time to be as engaged as I were before - or even to write replies as much. Neither do I know how I even had time for it back then..  :blink:

It's really quite unfortunate. I don't feel as engaged with the community anymore. However, community engagement and support is a really time-consuming job, and I definitely now realize why some people have that as a full-time job!

28th - Bank Holiday Monday in the UK.
26th is tomorrow (Saturday).

From my experience of commercial DNS migration, this will take a couple of days.

Yeah, ty for reminding me it's the 28th instead of 26th.. I had a few Friday-beers before I wrote the post. :wonk: 
Hard to say how long the DNS propagation is going to take, but might be a few days, as you mentioned. 

• Edreamer Jamil, khh and mrKnask like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2317 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 25 August 2017 - 18:10

We're reading most stuff on here. At least I do personally.
But to be honest, I don't have the time to be as engaged as I were before - or even to write replies as much. Neither do I know how I even had time for it back then.. :blink:
It's really quite unfortunate. I don't feel as engaged with the community anymore. However, community engagement and support is a really time-consuming job, and I definitely now realize why some people have that as a full-time job!

Dude, I totally get that, and you were kinda the only voice we heard for quite some time, thank you for that!

I don't want to sound negative at all, I really don't! I guess it just was a hard fall from "how it used to be" to "zip, nope, no comments or even life signs". Especially when there are more questions out there than ever. I get it, and I sorta understand and seriously appreciate it; your (as in all of you) job is to make the best game(s) possible, and that is what we as fans want as well. But to turn the crank from open to shut, for a long period of time, will only fuel speculation, sadness and trolls. I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

(Btw; some more info on Draugen soon yeah? I can't wait ;) :) )

Like I said; looking forward to see you on the other side, have a great weekend :)
  • Morten and Edreamer Jamil like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2017 - 20:34

Dude, I totally get that, and you were kinda the only voice we heard for quite some time, thank you for that!

I don't want to sound negative at all, I really don't! I guess it just was a hard fall from "how it used to be" to "zip, nope, no comments or even life signs". Especially when there are more questions out there than ever. I get it, and I sorta understand and seriously appreciate it; your (as in all of you) job is to make the best game(s) possible, and that is what we as fans want as well. But to turn the crank from open to shut, for a long period of time, will only fuel speculation, sadness and trolls. I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

(Btw; some more info on Draugen soon yeah? I can't wait ;) :) )

Like I said; looking forward to see you on the other side, have a great weekend :)

Thank you for that. It means a lot! :)

Hopefully we'll have some more news about our other projects soon. We've sort of been through a bit of a transitioning period since DFC.

It kinda got to the "zip, nope" stage when we had so, SO much to do with wrapping up the game, and just replying to some of the topics would mean you'd have to pick and choose your words carefully, and probably also be prepared to write further replies. At least that's how it was for me personally. So since I didn't have the time to even write replies in the first place, I would just let it be.

Anywhore, I'll let all that be for another time. First off, we'll get a better webserver and go from there! :D

• Edreamer Jamil, Philip, Mr_Russ and 2 others like this

#7 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:22

I'm getting a certificate error when accessing the forum:

www.redthreadgames.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.squarespace.com, squarespace.com 

#8 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:27

Also the links from notifications are pointing to a different URL to what the forum now defaults to, leading to 404 errors.  I have links like this:

https://www.redthrea...ndpost&p=149206

While the forum is at :

https://forum.redthr...ames.com/forum/

#9 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:34

Propagation hasn't finished yet. It's at least two days for DNS resolution to complete.

#10 robertc

robertc

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 15:11

Propagation hasn't finished yet. It's at least two days for DNS resolution to complete.

It's not at least two days, it's up to two days.  Propagation can take as little as fifteen minutes if that's what the TTL value is set to.  Certainly the Google DNS servers as well as most of the OpenDNS servers appear to have accepted the change already.  All of which is irrelevant to the SSL error.

• Mr_Russ likes this

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 29 August 2017 - 17:16

I've never seen it take more than 20mins in my life however :) Its like on the original star trek when Scotty conservatively says it will take 48 hours to fix the warp engines... but everyone knows it will only take 1 at most.

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 August 2017 - 19:42

Yep seems like the propagation took some time..
Finally got the correct one on my home computer. Might be some other issues here and there, with regards to DNS. Seems for now, the front page (redthreadgames.com) is still propagating for me..

Also the forum URL is kinda wonky right now... (forum.redthreadgames.com/forum/) .. way too many "forum"'s... xD

There's not much change from how everything was before, except SSL/https for the whole site (finally) and a way better server :D

If anyone notices something else not working, please feel free to tag me in a post or PM me. :) Enjoy!

EDIT: Seems the frontpage has actually propagated, only its SSL certificate not working. 

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Indrid Cold and 1 other like this

#13 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3056 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 22:54

Yep seems like the propagation took some time..
Finally got the correct one on my home computer. Might be some other issues here and there, with regards to DNS. Seems for now, the front page (redthreadgames.com) is still propagating for me..

Also the forum URL is kinda wonky right now... (forum.redthreadgames.com/forum/) .. way too many "forum"'s... xD

There's not much change from how everything was before, except SSL/https for the whole site (finally) and a way better server :D

If anyone notices something else not working, please feel free to tag me in a post or PM me. :) Enjoy!

EDIT: Seems the frontpage has actually propagated, only its SSL certificate not working. 

Tapatalk isn't working right now either. I think it has the old URL.

Thanks for the work!

#14 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:30

Tapatalk isn't working right now either. I think it has the old URL.

Thanks for the work!

Yep, thanks for reminding me.

EDIT: Tapatalk should be working now, just had to update the URL as you said. However, my plan is to update its version soon, it's pretty outdated. I'm not at the office today, but I'll try to do that once I get back.

#15 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:43

Yeah - up to two days is better. It does seem ok now.
  • Morten likes this

#16 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:51

I like the new Blog.
https://www.redthreadgames.com/blog/
short, simple, honest :lol: