15 replies to this topic

#1 johndoe

johndoe

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 13:28

Hello,

I own the GOG final cut version of the game, but I am experiencing several freezes and crashes. So far all of them occured twice or trice in books 1 and 2 and a simple game restart allowed me to progress. Now, however, I can't seem to progress past what appears to be the end of book 2. After the bombing sequence where the hospital scene is supposed to occur I get a black screen and  sounds from the game. The game then freezes and stops responding, forcing me to close it. I tried restarting about six times but I cannot get past this point.

I've done the best I can to troubleshoot the problem: I have the newest drivers, verified the game's files, reinstalled the game and lowered all the video setttings, to no avail. So, I am posting here as a last resort hoping to get support from the developers or the community.

Thanks in advance.

#2 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:11

Ok, first we would need your system specs.  Then, the game should have generated a file called "output_log".  That should give us some details on what happened.

You can find the game's output log in the location that the game is installed in a folder named "Dreamfall Chapters_Data". For Steam users, this can usually be found in your Steam installation folder under "...\SteamApps\common\Dreamfall Chapters". In the "Dreamfall Chapters_Data" folder, the output log file is called "output_log.txt".
For Mac users, the log can be found by opening the Console. It should be located under the "Unity"-section, called "Player.log". You can copy/paste the contents to a .rtf or .txt file and add it as an attachment in your email/forum post.

Linux users should find the game's log file in this location: ~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/Player.log

Then we'll go from there.

#3 johndoe

johndoe

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:34

Thanks for the response. I've got a Sony laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core i5 480M @ 2.67GHz 
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz
1024MB ATI AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Windows 10 64x

500GB Hard disk

I've also attached the log you wanted.

Attached Files

#4 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 23:26

It looks like the game is trying to load or find things that are missing.  That doesn't necessarily mean that is the problem, but I think the first step here would be to re-install the game and make sure. When you run the installer, there should be an option to check the file integrity before installing, so go ahead and click that.

Let us know if that works.

#5 johndoe

johndoe

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:10

I reinstalled and re-checked the game's files (for a second time), but I still experience the same issues.

#6 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 18:41

Took another look at it, and I'm just not seeing anything else in the log.  So I'm not sure what else to suggest.  Unless somebody else has any ideas, we're going to have to get somebody at RTG to look at this.

Maybe this should be moved to the general support section.

You can also try and PM Morten

#7 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7054 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 August 2017 - 14:38

Maybe this should be moved to the general support section.
You can also try and PM Morten

I could not see anything that stood out in the mix either. I've moved it to the General Support area.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#8 johndoe

johndoe

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 16:48

Thanks. Hopefully the devs will have a solution.

#9 Dano

Dano

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:21

Hi. Just wondering if a solution to this problem was found. I think I've got the same issue. My game freezes every time during Zoe's first conversation with Queenie. Thanks!

#10 Njorun

Njorun

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 September 2017 - 20:59

I also have a problem with game freeze. It happens in interlude II just when I try to move saga the screen freezes but the sound continues. I have played the whole game on my computer before the final cut without any problems..

Anyone know how to fix it?

#11 briarrose

briarrose

Rubber Ducky

• RTG Staff
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:01

Thanks for the response. I've got a Sony laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core i5 480M @ 2.67GHz 
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz
1024MB ATI AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Windows 10 64x

500GB Hard disk

I've also attached the log you wanted.

Hi! Looking at the log it seems like the graphics driver is just shutting down. Have you updated to the latest one? That graphics card seems pretty old unfortunately, if the driver update doesn't solve it there isn't anything else I can think of that could help.

Hi. Just wondering if a solution to this problem was found. I think I've got the same issue. My game freezes every time during Zoe's first conversation with Queenie. Thanks!

This may or may not be the same issue that OP has. Could you provide an output log from the game and system specs?

I also have a problem with game freeze. It happens in interlude II just when I try to move saga the screen freezes but the sound continues. I have played the whole game on my computer before the final cut without any problems..

Anyone know how to fix it?

Hi, same as above, if you can give us an output log from the game and your system specs we can try to investigate this.

#12 Njorun

Njorun

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 September 2017 - 13:03

I have an HP Pavilion

Intel Core i5-4228U CPU 2.6 GHz

8 GB RAM

Windows 8 64x

Intel Iris Graphics 5100

735 GB free space on hard drive

Attached Files

#13 briarrose

briarrose

Rubber Ducky

• RTG Staff
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:44

Hey Njorun!

There is nothing that stands out in the log (it just shows that loading completed successfully and then Magnus calling from the kitchen 7 times  :lol:). 
What might've changed since you last played the game is we switched to DirectX 11, which your GPU supports, but let's test if that's what causes the problem by playing the same scene with DX9.

To do that, add -force-d3d9 to the game's executable.
If you're running through Steam, click "Dreamfall Chapters" in your library, and on the "General" tab, click "Set launch options" and put the *-force-d3d9* in there.
If not running through Steam, create a shortcut to "Dreamfall Chapters.exe" (right click -> Create shortcut), and then right click -> Properties, then in the "Target" field, put *-force-d3d9* at the end.

Let us know if that gets you through! You can go back to DX11 by removing the -force-d3d9 parameter and re-launching the game.

• khh and Bruno like this

#14 Njorun

Njorun

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 September 2017 - 21:48

Hey Njorun!

There is nothing that stands out in the log (it just shows that loading completed successfully and then Magnus calling from the kitchen 7 times  :lol:). 
What might've changed since you last played the game is we switched to DirectX 11, which your GPU supports, but let's test if that's what causes the problem by playing the same scene with DX9.

To do that, add -force-d3d9 to the game's executable.
If you're running through Steam, click "Dreamfall Chapters" in your library, and on the "General" tab, click "Set launch options" and put the *-force-d3d9* in there.
If not running through Steam, create a shortcut to "Dreamfall Chapters.exe" (right click -> Create shortcut), and then right click -> Properties, then in the "Target" field, put *-force-d3d9* at the end.

Let us know if that gets you through! You can go back to DX11 by removing the -force-d3d9 parameter and re-launching the game.

Thanks for helping.

For some reason the game started working again after restarting it like ten times, but I will try playing with DX9 if the problem comes back.

#15 johndoe

johndoe

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 19:06

Hi! Looking at the log it seems like the graphics driver is just shutting down. Have you updated to the latest one? That graphics card seems pretty old unfortunately, if the driver update doesn't solve it there isn't anything else I can think of that could help.

This may or may not be the same issue that OP has. Could you provide an output log from the game and system specs?

Hi, same as above, if you can give us an output log from the game and your system specs we can try to investigate this.

Apparently, I forced the game to use DX9 and the issue was resolved. Thanks for your support.

• Morten and khh like this

#16 Dano

Dano

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:35

The DX9 force worked for me too. Thanks!

• Morten and khh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users