16 replies to this topic

#1 DecentDreamer

DecentDreamer

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 16:24

The title really says it all. My Steam copy of TLJ is kind of annoying since it doesn't show the cutscenes in the game and instead only shows a black screen with sound. Otherwise, it plays fine, but I'm just wondering if you guys think I should play it before DC. Or do any of you know a fix for the black screen thing?

I've played Dreamfall, and adored it. That's what got me into this whole thing haha :-)

#2 Chikyuu

Chikyuu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 30 August 2014 - 16:33

To get rid of that black screen thing I did this:

1. Right click on Desktop
2. Select Screen Resolution
3. Click Detect (with no additional monitor connected)
4. Next to your first display, you'll see a grey square with the text "Another display not detected" Click on the grey square
5. Next to "Multiple displays" it will say "No display detected"
6. Click on "No display detected"
7. A drop-down menu will appear
8. Select "Try to connect anyway on: VGA"
9. Click on your primary display (the square with the big "1" in it)
10. Next to "Multiple displays" select "Extend these displays"

(http://forums.longes...read.php?t=9255)

• Ringtail and DecentDreamer like this

ゆめゆめうたがうことなかれ 夢見る子供 の ゆめ の ゆめ

yume yume utagau koto nakare, yume miru kodomo no yume no yume

#3 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1782 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 30 August 2014 - 17:33

Oh man, haven't played my steam version of TLJ yet, hope I don't have that issue.  And hopefully the above helps you out.

But to answer your question: YES! 

Seriously though, you don't HAVE to play it before DFC.  DFC is really more a continuation of Dreamfall so you should have enough of the story to understand what's going on.

That said, TLJ is an awesomely fantastic game storywise and you should not miss out.  Play it!  Play it NOW!  *breathes* okay, okay not now now, but when you have a chance.  You won't regret it. :)

• Edreamer Jamil, popcorngal, Carla and 2 others like this

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#4 DecentDreamer

DecentDreamer

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:05

I shall attempt that solution; that you both so much! It's nice to actually talk to people who know about Dreamfall XD everyone where I live (Texas, US) has no idea what these games are. It's sad.
  • wandrew likes this

#5 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1782 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:28

Yeah I know the feeling.  Over in CA most people I know don't even know what an adventure game is.  But you're in the right place to talk to people about Dreamfall and other games.  So welcome and never hesitate to ask questions, it's a pretty good group here. :) :sotb:

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#6 Leapmoor

Leapmoor

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 August 2014 - 00:41

High Five! I'm literally doing the same thing.

Though I got my copy from GOG, no issues so far  ;)

I get around, wait... what, no, I mean, like, I travel a lot! on the bus and stuff. geez  <_<

#7 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 31 August 2014 - 00:48

A number of us have been doing a Community play through of The Longest Journey (and now Dreamfall) and posting our thoughts here

Although we've currently reached Chapters 3 & 4 of Dreamfall people are welcome to post their thoughts of The Longest Journey as they play through it there, or of course read our own (beware spoilers though particularly if you read ahead)

• Riaise likes this

#8 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:04

Like Teller said, you don't have to play it before DFC, that said I would advise that you do. It's a great game and a true pinnacle of the golden era of adventure gaming.

#9 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:17

To get rid of that black screen thing I did this:

1. Right click on Desktop
2. Select Screen Resolution
3. Click Detect (with no additional monitor connected)
4. Next to your first display, you'll see a grey square with the text "Another display not detected" Click on the grey square
5. Next to "Multiple displays" it will say "No display detected"
6. Click on "No display detected"
7. A drop-down menu will appear
8. Select "Try to connect anyway on: VGA"
9. Click on your primary display (the square with the big "1" in it)
10. Next to "Multiple displays" select "Extend these displays"

(http://forums.longes...read.php?t=9255)

THANK YOU for posting this - it's really useful information, and it wouldn't hurt, if Morten or another RTG'er reads this thread, to put these instructions into a technical FAQ for TLJ.  

• wandrew likes this

#10 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:00

I really recommend the GOG version no problems playing it on windows 7 64bit here a friend of mine bought the gog version and he had no problems on windows 8 either so that's your best bet.

#11 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:02

The title really says it all. My Steam copy of TLJ is kind of annoying since it doesn't show the cutscenes in the game and instead only shows a black screen with sound. Otherwise, it plays fine, but I'm just wondering if you guys think I should play it before DC. Or do any of you know a fix for the black screen thing?

I've played Dreamfall, and adored it. That's what got me into this whole thing haha :-)

There are lots of good reasons to play TLJ before DFC, or just in general.  But there are also a few caveats I would give to someone who hasn't played it before.

- Check out this post for instructions that might let you get anti-aliasing to work.  It didn't work for me, but it's worked for a lot of other players.  If you can't get it working, then try playing on a small monitor, because on today's larger monitors the graphics look really quite pixellated and bad.

- There is one deliberately illogical puzzle (hint: it occurs underwater) and another puzzle that has a blocking bug in it that you may or may not run into depending on the order you do things.  The latter is a difficult puzzle even without the bug.  Just be aware of them, and consider a walkthrough in these cases so you don't waste your time or pull your hair out.  IMO, of course.

- It's a very good story, but a very complex one with lots of stuff left unexplained (deliberately, of course)...more than in Dreamfall I would say.  I've only played each game once and a year later I have only a surface memory of a lot of what's going on.  You'll have the advantage of recency.

- Feel free to consult the TLJ Wiki to fill in gaps of your understanding as necessary.

- Enjoy, and people on the forums would be happy to answer any questions you have!

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#12 DecentDreamer

DecentDreamer

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 22:18

That suggestion helped! Thanks so much! :-D
  • khh and trentjaspar like this

#13 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 September 2014 - 14:43

- There is one deliberately illogical puzzle (hint: it occurs underwater) and another puzzle that has a blocking bug in it that you may or may not run into depending on the order you do things.  The latter is a difficult puzzle even without the bug.  Just be aware of them, and consider a walkthrough in these cases so you don't waste your time or pull your hair out.  IMO, of course.

What's a blocking bug?  :huh:

#14 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 15:06

What's a blocking bug?  :huh:

A blocking bug is a bug in a game that prevents you from progressing-- you have to restore a previous save (assuming you have one).

There is such a bug in the Rubber Ducky puzzle that I encountered-- confirmed by some online forums...I don't recall the sequence that causes the bug to happen.

• Riaise likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#15 alaskamommy30

alaskamommy30

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:52

I'm playing through TLJ for the first time, though I'm not sure I will be finished with it by the time Dreamfall Chapters is up. It is so immersive and it seems that there is so much to do!

• Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, Andreas and 2 others like this

#16 AprilsNotDead92

AprilsNotDead92

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 23:18

I actually played Dreamfall the Longest Journey before I played the first game, The Longest Journey, and I did ok understanding the game. Although, after playing TLJ, it helped me to futher understand the returning characters who were brought up again in Dreamfall TLJ. It is entirly up to you as to if you want to play TLJ before DC but keep in mind that it is a very long game. It took me about a year to finish it and I didn't play it straight through in one setting. However, if you have the time, it could probably take you about a week or more to finish it.

#17 Kertys

Kertys

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:45

I played Dreamfall before TLJ, but I would really recommend playing the games in order if possible. While TLJ is definitely not necessary to enjoy Dreamfall, you come across some characters from TLJ and many references to events from TLJ. The state of the world in Dreamfall is markedly different than in TLJ due to the events that player character April set in motion.

Basically, even if you don't play TLJ, you will figure out most of the important stuff from inference. But if you intend to play the games one after another, Dreamfall will probably spoil some events of TLJ for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users