• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:26

Hah, I was about to post the same. All this reminds me of when I was writing my thesis. 'I will submit a significant amount of new content next week', I said to my professor every single time, never learning of my own mistakes. But it is kind of disappointing to see the same routine from a professional company.

#62 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 02 June 2017 - 13:53

We'll be back with more details later in May.

We may be back with more details later
:P
  • Edreamer Jamil likes this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#63 kidnova

kidnova

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:58

I'm not going to lie, this whole process has put me off of kickstarting games a bit.  I'm happy with the game that I've already played, but this whole drawn out saga has been disappointing, especially for those who've yet to receive their promised kickstarter rewards.  I backed BT4 from Inxile as well, and their communication has been sub par, to say the least.  There's a good feeling that comes along with being one of the people who helped get a game off the ground, but I'm not sure how often I'll jump in that pool going forward. 

#64 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 02 June 2017 - 20:58

After 52 Kickstarters, I gave up. There are worse ones than this one several years on.
  • Chocobo_sage and Edreamer Jamil like this

#65 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 June 2017 - 22:10

I'm much more positive about Kickstarter (though I also haven't been really really burned...yet...), though it is still a love-hate relationship. 

I kinda hate what it's done for video games and I am very very picky about what video game projects I back. I rarely throw money at a VG project on a whim at this point... it's all either from people I trust or it's something that I like the idea of enough that I'm willing to kick in at a low level already having made peace with the fact that there are likely going to be a bunch of setbacks. 

...I kinda love a lot of what Kickstarter has done for board and tabletop games as well as indie publishing projects. Yeah, there are some examples out there of things going very awry, but as an avid P&P / Board / Tabletop Game player, Kickstarter has really allowed a lot of niche projects to thrive. The costs are frequently way less variable, a lot of companies have found models that work... same with indie publishing. Because Kickstarter is a great way to raise the necessary funds to cover an initial print run, and it's pretty easy to price out exactly how much that is going to cost. 

There are just too many things that can go super wrong with video games, unfortunately, making Kickstarter a less than ideal funding model. :/

• Ringtail and NeilClaimer like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#66 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 00:13

I'm glad I backed the Wavy Gravy http://www.campwinnarainbow.org KS campaign. It helps kids and they did exactly what they said they'd do. And were super communicative. And apologised for something going wrong with my address and sent me extra rewards for free.

I do regret ever getting involved in RTG's Kickstarter. Won't happen again.

#67 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 00:41

I've found game kickstarters to be problematic at best.  If it was just delays, it would be one thing, but for whatever reason there's always other issues.  I don't know what it is about games, but there hasn't been a single one that I've backed that hasn't had some issue.  One has as far as I can tell, completely abandoned the project (fortunately I didn't give them too much money).

Contrast that with other things I've backed, and it's like night and day.  Mostly movies and web shows, but I've had almost zero issues with any of them.  In fact, one channel I like just announced a new kickstarter campaign for a show they want to do, and I have zero hesitation in backing them again.

Maybe games just don't do well under the kickstarter model?  Or have I just been extremely unlucky?

#68 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:30

I think 48 of my projects were video games. In order, yes and no, magic.

#69 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:20

I can think of KS projects (VGs) I backed that were a lot worse than RTG's.

And to be honest, although there are quite a few issues with RTG's, some of which apparent from the campaign -- I wouldn't call it a bad experience. Then again I am not involved in the physical rewards tiers (I was originally but then I reduced my pledge to the lower tier I was comfortable with, due to the aforementioned issues I had with how their campaign... evolved. And even though I am bitter about it, I have to accept that some stretch goals and promises are not actually happening. 

I wish things were different and Dreamfall Chapters did a whole lot better at sales. I haven't looked up numbers, but I am guessing RTG is not very happy about them. I also wish that they had finished up completely with the game (...) a lot sooner, because dragging development for so long can't be very exciting for them -- if not very frustrating at this point. 

But yeah, I am burned out with backing KS projects at this point. I am only backing projects that seem interesting, avoid abusing the marketing speak and dumb stretch goals (ideally they won't have any at all). Also they have to offer a demo or some kind of viable proof of concept and details about what their team consists of and what their financial planning looks like. And I try no to be swayed by nostalgia anymore.  

And given all those filters (and probably a few more I am forgetting), I think I have only backed one project last year. I'm still waiting on quite a few (all but one delayed at this point). 

#70 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 18:33

Well, the console version is officially one month old today. In 12 days it will have been a year since the last PC update (not including the opening screen change and the new recap video). Let's hope we hear something before then.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#71 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 20:49

Talk, RTG guys. Come on. Just start talking. Tell us where you're at, even if you're scared as fuck of that.

• skadet, popcorngal, MisterMetropolis and 2 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#72 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 05 June 2017 - 20:51

I wonder how the console version has/is selling. Pretty much no console users have shown up here. Then again the main forum page is still broken. Its all a bit of a mess.

#73 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 21:17

Console gamers usually don't seek out forums for the game, in my experience they (me included) stick to forums for that console. So there may have been a thread on Amazon communities or PSN forums for it.

Oh and i'm a console user, played the game on PS4 and all. But i've been here since the start so don't count really. :P

Plus may as well add, nowhere in ads, reviews, previews or even on/in the game case is this Forum mentioned or linked to. To my knowledge atleast.....

Right now i'm thinking the best way to get RTG to talk to you, is to ask them about Svalbard on Twitter lol

• NeilClaimer likes this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

#74 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 23:31

Talk, RTG guys. Come on. Just start talking. Tell us where you're at, even if you're scared as fuck of that.

Well i saw this from Dave Gilbert :o

https://twitter.com/...848862578868224
  • Edreamer Jamil, Philip and Olstyle like this

#75 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:29

So maybe they are calling it Final Cut Special Edition ?

#76 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:38

Well i saw this from Dave Gilbert :o

Interesting. "A few NPCs" can of course be anything from more chatter on the streets (welcome!), more surprise cameos of known faces (meh) to complete revoicings of Chapters characters (for added variety or added lines). RTG's former voiceover contacts in the US seem to have died with Jory Prum. :(

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#77 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4004 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:20

Interesting. "A few NPCs" can of course be anything from more chatter on the streets (welcome!), more surprise cameos of known faces (meh) to complete revoicings of Chapters characters (for added variety or added lines). RTG's former voiceover contacts in the US seem to have died with Jory Prum. :(

3 female characters apparently.
  • Edreamer Jamil and Vainamoinen like this

#78 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:16

3 female characters apparently.

3 female actresses, which could be anywhere from 3 to maybe 12 characters. And this does sound to me like it's probably the other Birthrights, plus maybe other promised stretch-goals: Emma, a narrator for books, and (long-shot) Madame Nyx.

I don't know if this tells us anything about timing. It makes me suspect that recording might be scheduled for July, when RTG has traditionally taken their summer break.

At any rate, I would guess that we'll get a formal update of some sort in late June, prior to their vacation.
  • Edreamer Jamil and NeilClaimer like this

#79 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:32

(long-shot) Madame Nyx.

Very long shot. Well, hopefully. Even more story while puzzles get continuously cut, that just... wouldn't be good. :|

#80 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 15:06

Now what we need is KS Update #106 ASAP. 😊
  • ChrisR likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, final cut, console, ps4, xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users