• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 23:54

The backer NPCs not being part of the final cut is plain ludicrous. Either they've already been implemented in the console version, or there really is going to be a "final final, honest to god, we mean it this time" version.

If the Loremaster is being pushed aside, which seems to be the case as things stand, well...it royally sucks. Hunting around for the books would be a very pleasant distraction ( and the only motivation, for me personally, to touch the game again ). Like, you want extra lore? You have to work for it. I'm not talking about crazy amounts of pages upon pages, just a page or two or even a snippet per book would be just fine.

And why are people talking about the console version being needed to get released as to fund the final pc version? Because silly ignorant me thought that the final/director's cut+the other stretch goals have already been funded via the extra kickstarter money.

#42 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:56

And why are people talking about the console version being needed to get released as to fund the final pc version? Because silly ignorant me thought that the final/director's cut+the other stretch goals have already been funded via the extra kickstarter money.

Given that RTG has given us zero insight into their financial state, we can only guess.  However, the kickstarter was over 4 years ago, and 1.5 mil may seem like a lot, but it really isn't (and we know that it wasn't their sole source of funding either). 

Second, RTG was forced to switch to an episodic release model pretty early on, supposedly to give RTG extra time to complete the game, as well as some extra funds.  While we were told at the time that they could have finished the game as originally planned, we have no idea what that would have actually looked like.  Probably would have been a very different and shorter game.

Given the above, I think it's safe to conclude that the kickstarter money ran out a long time ago, and that RTG is surviving solely on sale of DFC (since they haven't managed to make anything else yet).  We have heard about a grant or two being granted to them, but I think those were supposed to be spent on new games, not completing kickstarter promises.

Next, the console release was done with a publisher.  Given that RTG could easily self-publish on the Playstation online store, there are only two reasons I can think of that they would want one.  One, a desire for a physical release (which I don't really see as making much sense, but I don't really know the state of the console market on that, so maybe it does), or two, they needed more money to actually make the PS version.

I think the second one is more likely.

Granted that this is all 100% speculation on my part, but I feel like RTG just doesn't have the money to continue working on DFC and also work on new games, which they need to do in order to, you know, survive as a company. A successful console release would help with that. 

#43 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:55

I'm not going to speculate untill release of The Final Cut on PC. The longest waiting continues.
  • the red of the kin likes this

#44 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:50

I thought Ragnar once said that towncrier stuff would be in the final cut. I'm not there yet, I'm playing it one mission at a time on my ps4. Perhaps there can be updates to the final cut :) I don't know. THere are always these small improvements here and there, like sanitation of certain missions in propast and friar's keep. I still have to continue on book 2 and do a stream later today. I have visitors :°

Spoiler

• Starseeker likes this

#45 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 17:35

If I understood correctly, the town crier and Benefactor's Gate are supposed to be in Book Five. At least the Benefactor's Gate - that kind of had to do with the ceremony. Then again, we may have had this impression just because they never ended up in Books Two or Three or Four. And are still nowhere.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#46 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCologne (Germany)

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:59

Bought the PS4-version today at my local retailer. Game runs much finer than on my PC. The cashier was impressed by the boxart and asked me a few questions about the game. ;)

dsc02953gxuas.jpg

• Jecica, Chocobo_sage, Edreamer Jamil and 4 others like this

#47 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:23

There's no new update and no news of when an update might even be available. I think it's time for me to give up on this game ever being finished, at least anytime in the next year or so. I hope they at least just release the "Console Cut" on PC soon so I can play the whole game straight through again and kind of have some closure on it until it's updated again.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#48 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3948 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:28

Bought the PS4-version today at my local retailer. Game runs much finer than on my PC. The cashier was impressed by the boxart and asked me a few questions about the game. ;)

dsc02953gxuas.jpg

Got it myself and enjoying it so far, about halfway through book 2 and it looks and plays lovely on PS4. (I have nothing to compare it to seeing as it's my 1st playthrough of DFC) :D

• Edreamer Jamil and popcorngal like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#49 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:40

since they updated to unity 5 propast/marcuria runs quite stable, sometimes dips to 40 in the soux but it's rare. Don't have a fps counter in the ps4 version yet

#50 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:43

Wait, there's a soundtrack bonus CD? That's neat!

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#51 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3948 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:39

Wait, there's a soundtrack bonus CD? That's neat!

Well.... it's a redeemable code for a digital copy off the PS Store.
  • Edreamer Jamil and Vainamoinen like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

#52 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:38

Well.... it's a redeemable code for a digital copy off the PS Store.

That's... not nothing. Soundtrack CD would have ruled though.
  • Chocobo_sage and popcorngal like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#53 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:00

I never had to redeem it, it was suddenly in my main menu when I preloaded.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#54 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCologne (Germany)

Posted 11 May 2017 - 18:32

That's... not nothing. Soundtrack CD would have ruled though.

Yes, a CD would have been better. At least you can copy it to a USB Stick. Actually, you have to. Or you're not able to listen to it on your PS4.

#55 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 May 2017 - 18:51

Yes, a CD would have been better. At least you can copy it to a USB Stick. Actually, you have to. Or you're not able to listen to it on your PS4.

Uhm, that's kinda strange. Is it enough to copy to the usb stick, or does it have to be burned to a CD as well?

#56 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3948 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 19:54

Uhm, that's kinda strange. Is it enough to copy to the usb stick, or does it have to be burned to a CD as well?

You just need to make a music folder on a USB stick and connect it to a PS4, it'll copy the soundtrack to the folder. :)

• Mr Moo likes this

#57 Valiah

Valiah

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:34

I just started playing the PS4 version, and I can confirm that the Kickstarter NPCs are indeed in the game, at least the ones in Propast. Eurotrash and Europolis most wanted are also in the game. I have a wild hope I'll hear the towncrier calling my name, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.
  • Edreamer Jamil likes this

WARNING: This post may contain opinions, and they might not be yours

#58 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 30 May 2017 - 15:14

When you say "NPCs" do you mean the ones that have lines of dialogue to say? Or just the doppelgangers? The dopps have been in for ages.

Mr Ringtail of this parish was concerned that his character wasn't there yet. He's apparently standing outside the House of Dreams, talking about soda wars. Someone else was playing this and hadn't seen him, so people were getting concerned. If you can confirm he's there that would be one major worry addressed.

(Alors que les Français se demandent toujours ce qui se passe pour la localisation française...)

• Ringtail likes this

#59 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 30 May 2017 - 17:20

When you say "NPCs" do you mean the ones that have lines of dialogue to say? Or just the doppelgangers? The dopps have been in for ages.

Mr Ringtail of this parish was concerned that his character wasn't there yet. He's apparently standing outside the House of Dreams, talking about soda wars. Someone else was playing this and hadn't seen him, so people were getting concerned. If you can confirm he's there that would be one major worry addressed.

Right - the character's name would be Joseph O'Keefe (or potentially Cuff), and there would be 3 or 4 minutes of audio about the Soda Wars. Thanks very much for checking.

#60 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:50

We'll be back with more details later in May.

• MisterMetropolis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, final cut, console, ps4, xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users