• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 May 2017 - 17:59

To me the most interesting part of the Loremaster was always reading the books, not collecting them. If they just allowed you to find books in the shelves of the Great Library when you're there, I would be very happy with that.
  • Edreamer Jamil, popcorngal, toremygg and 4 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#22 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2312 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 05 May 2017 - 18:15

To me the most interesting part of the Loremaster was always reading the books, not collecting them. If they just allowed you to find books in the shelves of the Great Library when you're there, I would be very happy with that.

Great point, and I agree. Finding the books wouldn't be that interesting to me anyways, it would be like "trophy-hunting" which I don't like anyways. But more lore? Count me in :)

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#23 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 18:37

I agree completely, in fact, I would prefer it to having to hunt collectibles. But I guess from the developers' side, the bottleneck is actually writing those books, not scattering around a few textures. Whether this feature gets implemented or not depends on the time and energy Ragnar has to come up with all the lore, I would say.

#24 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 22:59

So...I'm awaiting an update as to why these features don't appear to be in the game...any day now...

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#25 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6104 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:40

TREAT THIS POST AS MERE HYPOTHESIS

So...I'm awaiting an update as to why these features don't appear to be in the game...any day now...

Because the PS4 version isn't the Final Cut? 

Possibly RTG tried to get all these features in for the PS4 version originally, but 11 months didn't suffice what with the pressure to have a gold master ready by March, etc. Which of course would rather mean that DiskJunky was correct and the Final Cut would not surface in 2017 at all. And that in turn means Kickstarter rewards would be sent out five or more years after the Kickstarter. How long do they even want to spend with this game? Five, six, seven years? It should all have been over a year ago! :blink:

So the present plan may be to make the Final Cut, which is the PS4 version plus some/most of the Kickstarter promised stuff, but some months down the line, RTG will likely decide to only port the PS4 features to the PC version at first so they have something new to release, with a further postponement of the Final Cut.

New character models aside, the new version of Chapters appears as a cut down version of the original, with no additional puzzles or other activities and with puzzles and dialog in fact gone forever. That's disheartening and really doesn't motivate me to play the game again. It seems they got Charlotte back in the studio to record the new trailer (which is great), but no additional voiceover work has taken place for the game. It was all promotional only.

It's baffling how the Kickstarter stretch goals just don't appear in any new version of the game. New costumes, Den of Dreams, Emma's gallery, French voiceover, accessible library, Marcuria book hunt, interactive graphic novel, commentary track, and the rewards section features an equally long list of things that have yet to turn up. I don't think all this will be in the Final Cut, but then again, I'm fairly certain some of those things wouldn't fit in it (Den of Dreams and Emma's gallery, for which there are no exhibits because the respective art contest has never taken place). :wacko:

And all we get are Kickstarter updates that don't say a thing, postponing any kind of worthwhile information either indefinitely or to a point in time at which they will likely never come (more info in May? Suuuure.)

And that concludes post number 6,000. :(

• Edreamer Jamil, Al Dhi, Starseeker and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#26 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:54

I think it was American McGee who said in an interview that you never really finish making a game, you just abandon it at some point. Looks like RTG hasn't yet reached that point.
  • Starseeker likes this

#27 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2717 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:13

The player just finished his playing PS4 version of Dreamfall Chapters. So what's new in The Final Cut? Well not much. There are new lighting and most of locations has new look. Most of characters got new models. There are new music tracks (ex in Ge'en faclity). There are few extra spots to click in Riverwood and Purple Mountains. There ISN'T Queenie dialog in Book Five. Queenie isn't featured in Character Library. There is Concept Art gallery. Old tasks from Storytime and Kian's task to destroy weapon supplies in Marcuria are in Deleted Scenes.

#28 Quantomas

Quantomas

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:31

So the present plan may be to make the Final Cut, which is the PS4 version plus some/most of the Kickstarter promised stuff, but some months down the line, RTG will likely decide to only port the PS4 features to the PC version at first so they have something new to release, with a further postponement of the Final Cut.

:wacko:

Maybe the best thing we can hope for is that the PS4 version sells well. Possibly they will want to wait and see.

#29 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:37

ps4 version has deleted scenes, which means "old version of storytime" for example.

#30 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 07 May 2017 - 14:25

There ISN'T Queenie dialog in Book Five.

That is disappointing. Did they remove the reference Queenie makes to Zoe and herself later meeting up ?

#31 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 15:34

The player just finished his playing PS4 version of Dreamfall Chapters. So what's new in The Final Cut? Well not much. There are new lighting and most of locations has new look. Most of characters got new models. There are new music tracks (ex in Ge'en faclity). There are few extra spots to click in Riverwood and Purple Mountains. There ISN'T Queenie dialog in Book Five. Queenie isn't featured in Character Library. There is Concept Art gallery. Old tasks from Storytime and Kian's task to destroy weapon supplies in Marcuria are in Deleted Scenes.

So the Kickstarter NPCs aren't in the game?

Spoiler

• Valiah likes this

#32 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 18:44

This is starting to get really ridiculous. So not even the Birthright backers or Town Crier/Benefactor's Gate are in the game? Which they originally said they planned to implement in October? Regardless of how/if they plan to ever implement the Stretch Goals, those are actual backer rewards, meaning another update is definitely inevitable. So if they're only going to be on PC/Mac/Linux, then they released an incomplete game and this is nowhere near the "Final Cut". Unless of course they're going to update the console versions too, in which case, I wonder why they would even bother releasing this incomplete version of it in the first place instead of just taking more time.

So maybe in a few months the PC version will be brought up to what the console versions are now, and then in ANOTHER few months all versions might be updated to be the Actual Final Cut, and then of course we'll still have to wait a long time for the digital and physical rewards...For wanting to move on to more games, they aren't really acting like it. If your game is far from finished, have more than four people working on it! I get that we don't know the inner workings at RT and maybe they can't afford to have more than four right now, but I don't know what else to say.

The most frustrating thing about all of this is the lack of communication. We are being kept completely in the dark here and it's almost like they're refusing to talk about the outstanding additions and kickstarter features, tip-toeing around them. And of course now that a publisher is in the mix, who knows what kind of contracts they signed and information they're allowed to release when?

• Starseeker and kla622 like this

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#33 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2717 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 May 2017 - 19:35

To be honest PS4 version was promised since 2014. The original plan was to release Book One and Book Two on PS4 just before release of Book Three on PC. But it was delayed and PS4 players wait soo long so im not suprised that RTG decided to release DFC on consoles in Spring 2017.

But its hard to accept that PS4/XB1 version is The Final Cut. Sure there are huge visual changes but not much in gameplay. There are still plot holes (Queenie is the biggest i think.

Maybe The Final Cut will be really upcoming PC update and then it will release as DLC for PS4/XB1???
  • MisterMetropolis likes this

#34 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 19:35

What is the most baffling for me is that remember all the discussions about requsts for feedback from RTG? With the implication that the Final Cut would be a polished and fine-tuned version of the game? Quite a few improvements were proposed by RTG even back then – and then, they implemented basically none of that save for the on-demand map. All the talk about pacing issues and tweaking dialogues – nothing happened. I’m glad in a sense that nothing much got cut (the Kian scene is not a big loss). But, some of the dialogues definitely could have benefitted from just cutting a few lines, if the aim was to improve pacing. (I’m looking at you, Ferdows.) As of now, even the known audio-subtitle discrepancies seem to have remained unfixed.

The drawing hunt of Saga, where they also seemed to have an intention to streamline things – nothing. I deliberately checked that scene, it took the poor PS4 player 1 hour. Altering some choice feedbacks where the statements about that particular choice are just untrue? No change. Finding a way to show the changed main menu artwork between Books without dumping the player into the menu itself? Nothing. (It doesn’t dump the player into the menu now, but that means the artwork can be easily missed.) And these aren’t changes that I’m personally bitchy about or anything, it’s just that these were clear statements from RTG about their intentions. Requiring in some cases, I dare to presume, not an insane amount of work.

Usual disclaimer, the game is awesome and magical, I even felt it just as I was watching this guy playing. I liked the improvements that did happen in this cut (character models and music). But there are two possibilities: either Ragnar & Co decided that everything was perfectly fine in the game as it is and nothing requires any changes, despite what they believed earlier. Or, for the umpteenth time, they vastly underestimated the time and resources they have available. And for me at this point, it just seems irrational to expect any significant changes at all.

I’m not a backer (played Dreamfall the year it came out, checked back every once in a while if there were any news about Chapters, missed the Kickstarter to my deep regret), so I have no right to be angry nor can I have any expectations towards RTG. I hope for your sake guys that the backer rewards will get implemented eventually, I mean if not, then that’s seriously ugly. But all the stretch goals, director’s cut, let alone extra scenes… I’m even fine with that being gone at this point. But it would be truly, truly great to just have some closure on this matter. I get it, that’s business, no new revenue will come from implementing all that stuff into the game. But in that case, please just come ahead and say it. Because it won’t be the PS4 players who will be RTG’s core audience in the future – they are on this forum and on the Kickstarter, waiting.

But hey, maybe I’m wrong and we do get major news about the Even More Final Cut this month. There is always a chance.

• Ringtail, MisterMetropolis and Starseeker like this

#35 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 19:40

The streamer went into the Concept Art menu after finishing the game, and it's not Emma's Gallery. Doesn't bode well for the gallery, then, since the art contest is definitely not happening, and I can't see much else use for it, unless they take out the concept art menu once they implement it.

#36 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2717 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 May 2017 - 19:40

You know what is weird. Queenie dialog for Book Five was recorded but it didn't appear in PS4\XB1 version as delete scene. Queenie isn't even included in Character Library. Its so strange.
  • raisin and Starseeker like this

#37 iamsteve

iamsteve

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 19:57

This is starting to get really ridiculous.

over promise and under deliver.

#38 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 07 May 2017 - 20:06

I think the crux of the issue here boils down to..... Is the console final edition the same as the Kickstarter Directors cut ? RTG haven't been clear on that at all.

• Ringtail likes this

#39 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 20:09

Has anyone who actually played the PC version crawled through the console version looking for the backer NPCs (for example)? Or are we just relying on let's plays?

I was originally going to get the console version, though now I was kinda thinking... Not... But I almost want to pick it up now just to check into a few things. I'm out of town so I haven't even looked at a let's play yet but yeah.

And just to add a counterpoint to the whole Loremaster thing, I uh... I'm not all that interested if we don't actually collect the books. Personally. For me, the hunt is part of the fun and it also spaces out diving into the lore. If there's just a pile of text to read in one location I will get bored and likely won't finish it.

Collectables can be really garbage, but they're also an opportunity for encouraging exploration and introducing mini environmental puzzles or whatever. That's kinda what I was hoping for. :/
  • Vainamoinen and Quantomas like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#40 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 22:55

Yeah, the library worked in TLJ because the information there both informed the story and was necessary for April to know what to do.  If this is just an info dump, kinda boring on a game level.  As much as I hate hunting for those kind of things, they need to have some kind of gameplay element to it.

As for the new release, the only thing I can think of is that they released a console version of the existing game so they can get some additional funds to fund the actual final cut, and there will be an update at some point.  That would still be a bit weird given that there seem to already be a few changes in this release, but I can't believe that the only changes they are going to make to the "Final Cut" are improved graphics (which were already impressive to begin with), and a few removed scenes.

• MisterMetropolis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, final cut, console, ps4, xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users