agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 14:35

[Link to Kickstarter update]

Dreamfall Chapters arrives on consoles

5d1f4a09587b7b31e6e806fe9991628c_origina

This Friday, May 5, Dreamfall Chapters finally lands on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

We've been working on the console versions since last August, and we've made a lot of

changes – but more on that in a couple of weeks, because that's not all: we're also

working on The Final Cut for PC/Mac/Linux, which will be released as a free update to

backers (and anyone who's bought the game on Steam, GOG or the Humble Store)

"soon". It will have all the changes from the console versions, including improved

character models, audio and music – and more. So stay tuned for that!

To prepare players for Friday's big release – a refresher for those who have played the

previous games; a primer for those who haven't – we've made a video recap of

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Watch the recap video here!

We've said it before and we'll say it again: we couldn't have done any of this without

you. We're nearing the end of the journey, and it's amazing to look back and see how far

we've come. We hope we can provide a fitting end to the journey with the upcoming

Final Cut and all the Kickstarter rewards.

We'll be back with more details later in May. Until then, thanks for reading and thanks for

your continued support!

Team RTG

• khh, Guyra, debro and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 14:37

Awww... The team got me a Kickstarter update for my birthday. 

for-me-you-shouldnt-have-racoon.jpg

• Vainamoinen, popcorngal, khh and 5 others like this

#3 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 14:41

Sooooo, back to watching youtube videos of other people playing Dreamfall Chapters. :P

• Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob, popcorngal and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#4 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 23:23

Okay, now I'm completely confused whether the Final Cut that is getting released on consoles is identical to the 'soon' forthcoming PC version or not. Comments made by RTG seem to indicate that yes, the boxed version for consoles will be the definite, final version of the game. But then what is all this 'we'll talk about the Final Cut in a few weeks?', What should we 'stay tuned' for?  :huh:  Won't we learn all the details about the Final Cut in 2 days from now from the console players? (Well, 2 days plus as long as it takes for people to get through the console version and report on the changes, which won't be long I guess)

• agirlnamedbob, Ringtail and Indrid Cold like this

#5 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:32

I think it's probable that the future update is about the PC version release date, nothing more.  But then again, RTG hasn't exactly been communicating with us all that well on any of this.  I think this is actually the first official mention of the PC version!  Up to now it's been all about the console version, so who knows!

#6 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:07

This is all 100% speculation on my part, but my assuming the "and more" is meaningful, then my guess as to the difference between "Final Cut For Console" vs. the "and more Final Cut For PC" is that this may account for some of content people were mentioning earlier that's still outstanding...but that doesn't really have anything to do with the console version. There are a number of things we don't know the fate of. Outfits. Commentary. The stories and etc. that was supposed to be bundled with certain versions of the game depending on where you bought it. Etc.

I expect that the game itself will be the same in both (or as the same as they can be, considering it's a port). ...So. Yeah. I'm thinking / hoping it's the other more peripheral stuff, some of which was meant to be pressed to the KS physical copies, that may be addressed there. ...Though again, I could very well be 100% wrong. Guess we'll see!

• Teller, popcorngal and Starseeker like this

#7 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:32

I still feel like they said a lot, without really saying anything.  It's hard to tell what they really mean in the last few updates.  I hope you're right though, Erika, that they're done messing with the game and are going to finish up the other stuff. 

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#8 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2725 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:01

It seems that The Final Cut for PC won't release in May.

#9 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:34

I have bought it on ps4 so if I notice something I can tell here. i'm sure other people will occupy themself with it too. 

Spoiler

• Vainamoinen, popcorngal and Ringtail like this

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:42

I have bought it on ps4 so if I notice something I can tell here. i'm sure other people will occupy themself with it too. 

Spoiler

That's great to hear.

Spoiler

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#11 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 04 May 2017 - 14:48

Spoiler

Thanks! Can you keep an eye out for my Birthright NPC?
Spoiler

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#12 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 18:27

Spoiler

Not in the PS4 livestream that Red Thread retweeted they didn't. Maybe what they did is added the previous versions of Storytime to the Deleted Scenes menu.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#13 Andyr

Andyr

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 18:43

As a PC gamer and a backer, it's a bit disappointing that we weren't told anything about the March release date being pushed back until well after the event, then despite an apology, the best we get is "soon".  Soon as in "imminently" or soon as in "probably before Half Life 3"?  I'm sure I'm not alone in having held off on playing Chapters until the definitive edition was released and it makes me decidedly anxious about backing another RTG project in future.

#14 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 04 May 2017 - 20:24

yes there has been a bit of info draught again, but to be honest, having finished the game it didn't feel so bad. Now I am happy to play a new version on ps4.

#15 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:45

Someone else is livestreaming the game now. There is an Extras section on the Main Menu, which contains a Character Library, the Story Recap, Concept Art (I assume this is Emma's Gallery, hopefully), the Credits, and the Deleted Scenes. It looks like they also took some things out of Chapter 3. The character library can be seen at 1:15:33. It seems to include new information not mentioned before in any of the games, such as Bachim's history, which is awesome.

The map is able to be pulled up at any time, which even makes sense in the story, since Zoe could pull it up on her iris. Baruti's character model is different - the hexagons are no longer on his head, and it's just a smooth blue metallic sheen.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#16 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:32

So, could RTG maybe give us the patch notes here... or are we supposed to filter out the changes ourselves... ? :P

#17 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:59

I skimmed through the livestream of the player to see what I could find. He has played up until near the end of Chapter 4. Some changes (and some that noticeably didn't change):

Reworked scenes:

- There is a new intro, which I honestly don't really like, because it's just the credits in a simple white font over a black background, while you hear the opening narration. (Edit: this is already in the PC version as well)

- The part where you have to blow up the shipment with Kian is cut. I assume that is available as a deleted scene called 'Chapter 3:Kian in Marcuria'. I couldn't yet find how conversations are reworked because of this.

- I didn't listen to any of the conversations really, so I don't know if there are any added or cut sentences here and there. But overall and based on the length, everything looks the same.

Character models:

- Reza has a new character model (no Kaiser Konstantin shirt and different face, no glasses but a man-bun  :D  suits him better overall)

- Abby has a different model and I like it better.

- Hannah does too, and yes, it is the one on the boxart. Waay better than her original look.

- Everybody else looks the same (save for Baruti) as far as I could find.

Gameplay features:

- The journal has a new design, see it at 2:11:47, it's much more user-friendly.

- You can check out the map at 3:07:30, it also seems well-designed and usable. It is also updated with locations you discover, for example the vents in Chapter 4. Crowboy is still in the game though :) And as you move to a new location, its name is displayed on the screen. ('Seshadri terraces', 'Pristaviste', same in Marcuria)

- Your goals are displayed on the screen when they get updated, you don't have to bring up a separate Goals window.

Choices and Books:

- Same old 'The Balance has shifted!' notification for every choice.

- The end of a book still looks like it did defore, with choices summary, the only difference is that it doesn't take you to the menu afterwards, the new book starts immediately.

- Also, all the choices summaries seem to be the same, e.g. the Mr. London choice (whether you interfere when he is beating up Baruti or not) is still claimed to have serious consequences later on.

Extras:

- Character gallery is very cool, it gives you notifications whenever you unlock a new character and then you can read their backstory.

- Unfortunately, the player did not open the 'Concept gallery' yet.

- There are two deleted scenes, one is called 'Chapter 1: Storytime', which I assume is the original version with more puzzles. (Edit: Yes, it is.) The other is probably blowing up the shipment. No other deleted scenes are listed (I don't know if any get unlocked later on, but nothing seems to indicate it). So, no Queenie conversation I guess? :( (at least I doubt it's in the game itself)

Besides those, I didn't see any new content. (I don't know about the Kickstarter NPCs, I skipped quite a lot of the Propast explorations) Will be interesting to see what's the deal with further Chapters.

• Vainamoinen, popcorngal, Carla and 6 others like this

#18 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 16:05

Extra Queenie scene was supposed to be in book 5 I think. Fingers crossed.

#19 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 17:20

So we can pretty confidently say at this point there's no Loremaster. Gallery is still possible if it's the "Concept Art" menu but it's not looking good.

#20 kla622

kla622

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 17:31

Loremaster might theoretically still be possible in Zoe's Marcuria chapters. After all, Kian is only on spec ops missions all the time, which is not the best environment for collecting books, while Zoe even has scenes in the library, so it would make sense to include a "by the way, if you ever come across any books, we would be glad to have them" moment there. But I highly doubt that it will happen honestly.

But, there is still the possibility of the PC Final Cut, which they will start talking about "soon"... :mellow:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, final cut, console, ps4, xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users