#1 alexbril

alexbril

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 16:05

6f2ee37f12601b6ec4d61fc5419ad0ca.png

Dear Ragnar and the Red Thread Games team,

We've been trying to contact you a few times now, but since there was no answer - we've decided to brave it out and try and reach you here.
Some people know us as "Well-DING! Team" (heyo, Shitbot!) — ten people who translated every "Dreamfall Chapters" episode, since the moment Book One was released, in order for Russian-speaking fans of TLJ and Dreamfall series to enjoy the game in all its awesomeness.
Together we localized the menu, subtitles, textures (translated and drew them in Photoshop) and created hard subs for in-game videos.
To clear some things up — we are not pirates; we do not create and/or distribute any links to download a full game with already installed Russian language. We merely created a free localization patch for a licensed game.
On the threshold of the upcoming "Dreamfall Chapters Director's Cut" release, we would like to kindly offer you to include our localization — for free. We do not seek any monetary reward; we just would like to help you to deliver a high-quality content. Enclosed you will find a few screenshots that illustrate the textures and subs, as well as a short gameplay compilation video. If you are interested, we will provide you with translated dds files and the patch itself, so you would be able to see the result firsthand.
We are looking forward to your reply, whether at this topic or via email.
Sincerely,
Well-DING! Team
info@well-ding.team

Textures(little part):

Spoiler

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Video:
Spoiler

• Morten, Edreamer Jamil, Guyra and 8 others like this

#2 alexbril

alexbril

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 16:14

More Screenshots:

Spoiler

• Lihoku and LootHunter like this

#3 alexbril

alexbril

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 16:17

More Screenshots:

Spoiler

• Lihoku and LootHunter like this

#4 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 20 April 2017 - 19:15

actually now it looks more authentic in arcadia cuz i can't read it :P

• Edreamer Jamil and Guyra like this

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 19:57

I'm not usually on board with this kind of 'aggressive for the official badge' fan translations.

I am, however, VERY OK with the central message of The Longest Journey being delivered to Russian players in their language. :)

Looking brilliant!

• Edreamer Jamil, Mr_Russ and Starseeker like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 April 2017 - 13:38

Hi alexbril (and the rest of you guys in Well-DING! Team).

Sorry that we haven't been good at responding to requests lately (yours and anyone else's). We've been - and still are - super busy with everything going on at this time.

Speaking for myself, and probably also the rest of the team, we're in awe of what you guys have done - both technically and artistically - and we really appreciate your work and dedication.

I'd be very interested in looking at the patch and seeing how you guys do things in terms of updating assets etc.

I can't promise anything with regards to if we're able to officially include it in the release of the Final Cut edition, but I would like to talk further with you guys to see how we can help each other.

Please send me an email at morten@redthreadgames.com and we'll talk more.

• Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen, Guyra and 5 others like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#7 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1720 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 17:22

Cool stuff! If the quality is good enough(which it looks like, to me), I really hope it will be officially included. Would make it so much easier for people in Russia to get into the game(especially for people whom might not be comfortable with the English language). RTG would make their game accessible to more people(and Russia is huge!), Russian players would get their own localization, and the localization team would get to tell people their work is officially part of the game!

It's a win-win-win situation! :3

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Official Cannon Stroker :: Cookblocked!

bereft-banner.png

#8 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 27 April 2017 - 21:33

I'd love to play Dreamfall: Chapters in Russian! I hope it all works out.

#9 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:16

Cool stuff! If the quality is good enough(which it looks like, to me), I really hope it will be officially included. Would make it so much easier for people in Russia to get into the game(especially for people whom might not be comfortable with the English language). RTG would make their game accessible to more people(and Russia is huge!), Russian players would get their own localization, and the localization team would get to tell people their work is officially part of the game!

It's a win-win-win situation! :3

Yup. A win-win, as you said.

However, if the Russian patch will be officially added into the game depends on how it works technically (how assets are updated/replaced etc.). If it takes up a lot of time to implement, or is technically difficult to implement into the game's core, then we'd might have to settle for some kind of additional download/DLC type thing that anyone can add to the base game (like it would be to download the patch now). The only difference would be that it will be officially listed in i.e. our Steam store page/workshop.

At least we'd end up with it being more visible, which could benefit many players in the future.

There will probably be more news about this in the future, as we have yet to talk to the Russian team themselves. :)

• Edreamer Jamil, Al Dhi and Indrid Cold like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#10 alexbril

alexbril

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 19:52

Hi Morten, we sent you the patch with instructions from our email address: info@well-ding.team. Please confirm that you got it.

• Morten and Edreamer Jamil like this

#11 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:51

i'm russian, and let me tell you, this, uhm, "localization" sucks. technically and artistically it may be okay, but the actual translation - the most important part of it - is simply abysmal. don't embarrass yourself by endorsing this, rtg.

#12 WatiCrow

WatiCrow

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFrom the land of twilight, under the moon

Posted 01 May 2017 - 20:19

Warmly welcome everyone! B)
I was born and live all my life in Russia too. Since my earliest childhood, I grew up on adventure games and point-and-click games what we call 'quests'. My first such game was Scooby-Doo Mystery on the Sega Mega Drive II (aka Sega Genesis) gaming console, and after that when I got my first computer as a gift with a horizontal system unit (computer case) and a CRT display, I switched my attention to the 3D adventures and quests from variety studios. I will never forget as I tried the demo version of The Longest Journey, which was attached on the DVD application to the Game World Navigator magazine about computer games for which I was signed. In the demo there was a game scene on the ship during the storm. Everything was in English, and definately it wasn't easy, but I went through it and forgot it as a terrible dream. Sorry, devs, I was studying at an ordinary Russian school, where English lessons was reduced to memorizing endless static rules that were quickly forgotten. In addition, in Russian in many cases there is a free order of words, when words in the sentence can be interchanged, and the meaning does not disappear anywhere, which adds complexity to the study of Anglo-Saxon languages (I think in my not very clever post, you have already determined this). On the market shelves with awful localized pirated copies of games that were common in spontaneously developing capitalist Russia of those years, I did not even think of buying this game. Then in 2006 the official Russian localization of TLJ came out, and fortunately I completely forgot the name of the demo version and therefore bought a licensed copy from 1C company. As you probably understand, for the next couple of months, or even more, I simply fell into another reality, from which I didn't want to leave, and after the final credits I was dumbfounded by the depth of the amazingly universe that our Norwegian brothers created with which my country has a joint northern border. In the same year of 2006, the second part of the Longest Journey saga appeared, and it was also completely and officially localized into Russian. And the Dreamfall oddly came out even before the first officially localized part, so I knew exactly what game I would buy next. This time I tried to stretch the pleasure for as long as possible, rummaging through every interactive corner and seeing a wonderful transformation of the characters and their actions. At the end of the game, I was full of all sorts of thoughts and at the same time completely devastated because it was all over. Since then I have waited and believed that Mr. Ragnar and his amazing team will one day release the continuation of this phenomenal saga. And they did it 8 years later! I financially supported their campaign at Kickstarter, and now I can enjoy the adventure of a lifetime again and again.
Why did I write all this? With a dramatic change in the distribution of games, many former large companies began to disintegrate, and developers started their own indie companies, recruiting the same people that they had worked with before. In these conditions in Russia, a very significant number of games have ceased to officially translate into Russian, presumably believing that it is unprofitable to negotiate localization with small indie companies. The same fate befell the Dreamfall Chapters. Everyone understands that the translation work is no less complicated, laborious and expensive than the creation of game scenarios and subsequent programming. In these conditions and with the massive development of broadband Internet there were amateur localizers who excellently perform their absolutely gratuitous work, so that everyone who speaks their language could also join the wonderful game worlds. Installing Well-DING! Team localization, I did not expect something supernatural, but their work just won me over with thoroughness and attention to detail. For the whole game, I almost did not notice any stylistic, grammatical or punctuation mistakes, and the plot and the original meaning embedded in it were completely understandable to me in the smallest detail. In this regard, I very much ask the whole Red Thread Games team to approve the official inclusion of this amateur translation into the game, to which apply the epithets in an excellent degree only. Believe me: what you can see on the screenshots above is not even one thousandth part of the work that they did. And with an absolutely certain probability in the next decade you will not see a translation into Russian better and more professional than this one. You can call this my subjective opinion, but I think that from the history of my game life it's clear why I'm thinking in this way. By the way, in Russia the publisher of retail versions of the DFC on consoles was Buka (famous and respected local game localizer and publisher), but they were denied in official localization into Russian for undeclared reasons (Q.E.D. :mellow: ).
Once again I sincerely thank both the developers of the game and the translators for giving me a real fairytale, which until my death will remain in my soul and heart. With huge burning love and good luck on your own way! :wub:

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#13 alexbril

alexbril

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 20:27

Dear Klava,

Can you please specify what exactly you don't like about our translation? We have several thousands of fans on https://vk.com/dreamfall_rus (the most popular social network in Russia) who have been giving us positive reviews and comments, but we are willing to listen to any new opinions and criticism as long as it's well-founded. By the way, our localization has won 'the best localization'  award on www.zoneofgames.ru (the platform for Russian fans and enthuziasts-translators of the games) in 2016. In 2015 we took the second place.

#14 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 20:49

Dear alexbril

What I don't like about your so-called "translation" would be, you know, the translation part of it. It reads as if done by a 12-years-old, who does understand the words, but has no actual writing skills whatsoever. It may have been acceptable if DFC was an FPS or something like that and nothing else was available, but as a marvel of storytelling it is, DFC deserves better than what those "enthuziasts-translators" can do, imo.

• Agent Takeoff likes this

#15 Agent Takeoff

Agent Takeoff

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:41

Those textures are completely disaster to game's atmosphere :angry:  (IMO, as a native russian speaker). Hope they not be included in game.
The quality of translation are poor (Klava was right in fact), but still better than nothing...

Are you ready for Takeoff?

#16 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 11 May 2017 - 15:20

I'm one of those people who could not play Dreamfall Chapters without this localization. 'Well-DING! Team' did incredible! They helped thousands of fans to return to this amazing universe. I think that this localization meets the highest requirements and moreover it by some points even exceeds the official Russian localization of previous games. And these are not empty words. I'm the administrator of the Russian TLJ Wikia and I know what I'm talking about.

I, like most Russian fans, hope and believe that this localization will be approved by the Red Thread Games and included in the game.

And in Russian/И на русском:

Spoiler

#17 Agent Takeoff

Agent Takeoff

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 11 May 2017 - 16:15

Oh, be prepared to spam attack from "Well-DING! Team" fanboys! Coordinated from here, and started by Lihoku post  :ph34r:  :D

Are you ready for Takeoff?

#18 Lihoku

Lihoku

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 11 May 2017 - 16:42

Oh, be prepared to spam attack from "Well-DING! Team" fanboys! Coordinated from here, and started by Lihoku post  :ph34r:  :D

I saw this topic before (here is my comment from May 8), but did not find an excuse to write a post. Until there were reviews of dissatisfied with this localization.

I do not understand what it can do to prevent those who want to play the game in English. You just will not install this localization. What's the problem then?

#19 Klava

Klava

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 20:20

I do not understand what it can do to prevent those who want to play the game in English. You just will not install this localization. What's the problem then?

the problem is, as i said, the translation is very poor. personally, i couldn't care less what those "enthuziast-translators" do among themselves, because i can play the game in english just fine, but if there is to be a russian version officially endorsed by RTG, as a fan i would like it to be quality stuff.

#20 Alpie

Alpie

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg, Russia

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:38

the problem is, as i said, the translation is very poor. personally, i couldn't care less what those "enthuziast-translators" do among themselves..

Wow, professional translators from the team should throw away theirs diplomas and print on the t-shirts "I'm a poor 12 years old "enthusiast-translator" with no writing skills"...cos Klava said so:)

Actually, I tried to imagine what is "quality stuff" for you, but I failed. Because right now this groundless criticism looks like pointless wish-wash. "I don't like it because it's bad and it's bad because I don't like it!"
I hope you watch movies and read books only in original, cos nowadays quality of translations (even official), you know, really sucks. I just do care about your eyes not to bleed often.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dreamfall, Dreamfall Chapters, Russian, Localization, Well-DING! Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users