7 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsynSeraph

CrimsynSeraph

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 20:20

Are there any plans for merchandise? Like more clothing with the symbol of the balance, characters, whatnot? I couldn't afford a t-shirt when I backed the kickstarter, and now I am royally kicking myself. Also, amulets, plushies...

I'm sure this has all been brought up many many times before... But plans may have changed since then?

He who runs in front of a car gets tired.
He who runs behind a car gets exhausted.

Proud Scion of Dynamic Chaos.

#2 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 14 April 2017 - 22:12

Yeah, it's been brought up but no worries on that regard :)

I wouldn't hold my breath though, Red Thread don't hold the copyright for the Longest Journey IP, and besides, my guess is that they are kinda done with it for the time being.

This is just my thoughts and understanding btw, please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Vainamoinen likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#3 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 22:18

I have no corrections or even additions. Which really really means something! ;)

• Mr_Russ and mrKnask like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#4 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3982 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 15 April 2017 - 14:11

I feel obliged to share this classic scene every time someone mentions merchandising. :D

But yes, RTG don't own the rights to TLJ/DF. But although I doubt we'll see any, more money can be made from merch than from game sales.

• Teller, Edreamer Jamil, popcorngal and 3 others like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#5 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 15 April 2017 - 14:47

Right at the start of all this, way back just after the kickstarter, RTG said they would have a shop so ppl could buy the t-shirts etc. But that just never happened. I'm not sure even how many people ever remember that that got said. But they said a lot of things back then.

For the reasons stated above regarding the IP rights etc, I really wouldn't expect to see a shop of any kind any time soon, if ever.

#6 WeaselPwnage

WeaselPwnage

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 18:38

If Red Thread doesn't have the rights to TLJ/DF, couldn't they just get permission to use it? (Forgive me if this sounds incredibly stupid, I know nothing about copyright laws, haha)

#7 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 21:20

As I understand it, they would have to get a license from Funcom to produce and sell that merchandise.  The terms of the license would have to be negotiated.  Don't know what is typical in that industry, but they could end up paying a flat fee for it and it would expire at some point, or they might charge a royalty on all sales.  It might even be both of those. 

They had to do the same thing to produce and sell DFC, so Funcom might be open to the idea.  It's up to RTG to see if they can make it work financially and logistically.  Running a store can be challenging. 

#8 WeaselPwnage

WeaselPwnage

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:02

As I understand it, they would have to get a license from Funcom to produce and sell that merchandise.  The terms of the license would have to be negotiated.  Don't know what is typical in that industry, but they could end up paying a flat fee for it and it would expire at some point, or they might charge a royalty on all sales.  It might even be both of those. 

They had to do the same thing to produce and sell DFC, so Funcom might be open to the idea.  It's up to RTG to see if they can make it work financially and logistically.  Running a store can be challenging. 

Ah, that makes sense. That's a good point about running a store as well. Oh how I do hope it eventually happens in the future though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users