Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:03

(link to kickstarter update)

Console release date and new trailer

Hello backers!

Dreamfall Chapters is coming to consoles on May 5th and Deep Silver has just released a new
trailer to mark the date – and the beginning of pre-orders. Check out the Two Worlds Trailer now.

(And yes, you're not wrong: the release date changed from late March to early May without us
sending out an update – something we realised and regretted after receiving a deluge of emails
and messages on the 24th. We sincerely apologise for the confusion and frustration.)

The Final Cut – the updated and complete PC/Mac/Linux edition – will arrive shortly after the
console version. We'll lock down a date soon and post some screens and videos...and this time
we'll definitely let all of you know when it happens!

Red Thread Games

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#2 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:26

I'm glad that we finally got an update, but I don't believe in "shortly after", "soon" anymore :-) All rewards will take even more time, I wouldn't even dare to make predictions when.

#3 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:52

Not whingeing cos really I don't care any more, but it's funny to see that they only realised they hadn't bothered to tell anyone about the change of date for the final console release of the game they've been making for the last 4 years after the first date had passed. And then it took them almost 3 weeks to write 130 words about it. And still vague on the proper PC release.

Is anyone actually still working for RTG these days?

• Al Dhi likes this

#4 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 13:34

I'm deeply silver... I mean disappointed by what's communicated here, I'm sad to say.

The Final Cut is first on consoles, for whatever reason (I have an inkling), and it's only coming "soon", which can mean anything between two months and two years, looking at the history of the word in RTG's specific context. We're still waiting for most of the 'soons' in the last Kickstarter updates. We're still wondering what the Final Cut even is and whether it even encompasses changes, additions and *welp* cuts that are to our liking.

And of course this further completely unspecified delay of the PC Final Cut means yet another delay of Kickstarter rewards being manufactured and sent out. :mellow:

It would be a bit unfair to point at the projected delivery date of the original Kickstarter, because of course the episodic game delivered more content than originally promised. But in the meantime, delivery dates for a heap of rewards and extras have been set and reset and reset and mostly passed, and hardly anything has surfaced. Now basically everything is pushed back humongously again because of the console release. I dread what happens when RTG strikes a quick deal with Nintendo for a Switch version or some other major player demands his wishes to be more important than those of a few thousand Kickstarter backers who pumped three or even four digit amounts of dough into the game more than three years ago.

I know you're working your asses off on various fronts right now, but to me it seems that the original fans are all but forgotten in favor of potential new customers and major new publishers. :ph34r:

• Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 8 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#5 Al Dhi

Al Dhi

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2017 - 15:08

*sigh* I'm starting to lose interest in this... -_-

#6 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 16:49

for whatever reason (I have an inkling)

Yeah, same...

I'm not feeling terribly thrilled about this either. Like. I was excited to wake up to the message, but then I read it and felt very frustrated...but... at the same time...

giphy.gif

And that's really what kills me. I hate the "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" cliche, but... I'm really not all that put out by the things that are happening. I'm just very disappointed by the lack of communication, the confusion and lack of clarity, the uncertainty... If for no other reason than it casts a dubious shadow on statements that I'm sure have/had the best of intentions, etc. I absolutely believe that RTG means what they say when they say it... but... ...things change, information gaps widen...and it does get harder and harder to put the pieces together in a forgiving way. So people are understandably frustrated. And it sucks. 

• Teller, Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen and 7 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#7 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 18:46

So basically it could be another year before we're playing the Final Cut on PC? Wow.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#8 Quantomas

Quantomas

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 18:52

@agirlnamedbob

The truth is most likely more complex and we should not overlook that Red Thread Games is possibly disappointed as well how things turned out, even if it is partly through errors they made along the way.

@Ragnar

Congratulations to making it there and I wish you all the success you need! Be smart about pricing. Drop the price slowly, for example a sale every two months discounting the game by $5, to determine Dreamfall Chapters' real market value. Once demand surges, keep it.

I look forward to play the Final Cut from the beginning. What I have seen so far, the first three books, Dreamfall Chapters is an achievement.

If I may request one thing, please reconsider your plans for the future. The market is in transition, especially for adventure games, and the number of releases will grow further, with more and more people less willing to pay premium prices.

But there is an opportunity. If the market becomes more like the market for books in terms of quantity and pricing, established brands with an existing audience and fan community will be worth more than gold. Please think twice before you shut the book on the Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Give the fans something they can be excited about and you will do well.

Indie game developers will only reach their full potential if they stop betting and make solid plans.

#9 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 18:59

@agirlnamedbob

The truth is most likely more complex and we should not overlook that Redthread Games is possibly disappointed as well how things turned out, even if it is partly through errors they made along the way.

...I'm... ...pretty well aware of the fact that the truth is complicated. I know for a fact RTG isn't thrilled about every single aspect of this multi year DFC adventure we've all been on. They've said as much. And like... ... in the years I've been moderating this forum, being mindful of all of that has been a pretty constant refrain from me and several others.. 

...Doesn't cancel out the frustration and disappointment or make it any less valid. Which is more or less what I was getting at. 

• Chocobo_sage, Teller, popcorngal and 2 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#10 Quantomas

Quantomas

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 19:17

...Doesn't cancel out the frustration and disappointment or make it any less valid. Which is more or less what I was getting at. 

I had a chat with Mark Yohalem of Primordia and Tides of Numenera fame.

He said that human achievement is defined by succeeding despite our weakness and flaws.

There is truth in that.

#11 Chocobo_sage

Chocobo_sage

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3982 posts
  • LocationA shack in the Northern Continent

Posted 12 April 2017 - 20:16

Ahh the old Soon™, we meet again!! :P

Unfortunately it's been a long journey (pun intended) and to be honest i lost interest in the game a year or so back. Mainly because it seemed like we were forgotten about, or atleast rarely communicated with. There was much frustration with this and disappointment as was already better stated by people above.
Hopefully going forward the company sill learn from all of this. (Fingers crossed)

But i'll eventually play the game sometime soon, haha though i'd no linger be known as the guy who hasn't played it yet! xD
  • Teller, Vainamoinen, popcorngal and 1 other like this

Stew:The English gent, Therapy Ninja :ph34r: and owner of the magic Goatee of awesomeness. strokebeard.gifSolving mysteries with my spexy Partner - Glasses Lyd. B) "I don't use opiates but most of my best ideas come from day dreaming" - Chocobo Sage

Blog - https://chocobosage.wordpress.com/

#12 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 20:26

Usually people say no news is good news. In this instance it does look rather like the lack of communication is covering a multitude of problems. Which is understandable, but well...

My own principle frustration with RTG is partially my own fault. I had no idea that a company Kickstarting something was not putting forward a planned and somewhat costed idea. It turned out that KS doesn't require the company do do anything of what they claimed.

So when the t-shirt debacle reared its head I was caught by surprise. How come they hadn't realised how to order t-shirts before? Why were they being constantly surprised by developments? Surely you would work out how to do something before announcing you'll do it? This is basic human intelligence.

After a long back-and-forth Ragnar finally used the excuse that they had no idea it would be like that when they first offered it. In other words, there had been no planning at all. It was just "Hey, we'll do t-shirts!" And then they took money for that non-plan.

The lack of actual planning is what is behind just about everything that has befallen this project. But, as I said, this is apparently fine on Kickstarter. And thus was seen as not really a sin by Ragnar himself. I had no idea that's how things were. Obviously, since I realised this I haven't contributed to any other KS campaigns.

So now we're hopefully near the end and they still can't say when the finished product is due. And many in-game backer rewards are unfulfilled. And the amount of "soon"s is ridiculous. Yeah haha running joke. It's tired, it's been running too long.

And then we add to that the abysmal customer support solution, i.e., not to have any.

I really don't know what Ragnar thinks he's been doing all this time.

• Chocobo_sage, popcorngal and charmed23 like this

#13 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 21:18

Haven't been active on the forums for awhile now but decided to add my thoughts to this thread.

I'd never heard of Kickstarter before Dreamfall and it's likely the first and last time I'll contribute. I understand how easy it might be to go in to something with the best of intentions but have to agree that perhaps RTG might not have fully researched how to provide for all the various rewards.

Part of the reason I spent much more than I could afford was due to my long term love for the series and believing RTG could create a finished game. (In fact, it was only a couple of months ago that I finally managed to pay what I'd donated. :blush:) And though it took a long time, at least there is a digital copy. 

As others have stated, it's the lack of communication. I'm figuring RTG is swamped with work, being such a small team. But at most, it only takes fifteen minutes out of a day to toss off a few words to let people know things are moving along. Whether slowly or not, what matters is communication. Without it, everything starts to break down.

So... while I'm disappointed about the non-communication and hope some day I'll finally have all the physical rewards, what I'm not sorry about, is having the opportunity to come into contact with a lot of amazingly awesome people, like so many of you are here on the forum. If I get nothing else, at least I've got some great memories.

(Sorry about the veering off topic! Just got on a roll and went with it.)

• Jecica, Chocobo_sage, Teller and 6 others like this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#14 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 23:56

I suspect Chapters is the last Kickstarter (or Indiegogo, or Fig, or whatever) that RTG will do as well.  If they were going to do one for Draugen or Svarlbard, I suspect it would have happened already.

And yeah.  I share the sentiments of many of you.  There's still a little juice sloshing around at the bottom of my reservoir of goodwill...but, sigh.

• Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 1 other like this

#15 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:33

I know for a fact RTG isn't thrilled about every single aspect of this multi year DFC adventure we've all been on.

Yeah, of course not. For me, and I imagine for them as well to quite some degree, the journey ended last June. So for almost a year they've continued working on TLJ universe even though they've basically (and explicitly) said their goodbyes mid 2016. That can't be great for any kind of motivation. I know they have their eyes set on the future as well, and it's obvious I'm pretty hyped for that future, but this, all this, only postpones this future further.

Let's get this Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter over with. I have the emotional closure already, but there are plenty others who don't and deserve it. :mellow:

• agirlnamedbob, Carla, Ringtail and 1 other like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#16 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1882 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:08

I've never had much of a problem with the wait or lack of communication.  I've waited this long for the game.  That and I don't read any news very often of any kind, even games I'm interested in. 

But I do feel bad for those who were waiting to play until they had it in their hands.  I also agree RTG is probably disappointed and ready to be done with this.  They've had other games waiting in the wings and I know how it feels to have other projects you want to work on but you have to finish the drudgery of the one you are already committed to.  They've got other exciting ideas and I hope this doesn't put them off from trying to do them.  Or their audience from playing the other games.

I just don't want to give up hope of TLJH every happening.

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#17 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:55

Based on Ragnar's Twitter, he's been frolicking in the snow taking a vacation no I mean working very hard in a snowy environment. So maybe the cold has just been slowing their communication significantly  :rolleyes: Maybe RTG will be active again once they dethaw and come back to life  :lol: 

And yeah, this Kickstarter update is so worthless I regretted running out of my dance class just to read it  :lol:

• Mr_Russ likes this

#18 LootHunter

LootHunter

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 14 April 2017 - 20:02

Is anyone actually still working for RTG these days?

I think that's exactly the reason, why they forgot to announce new release date. They are working, just not on DFC.

#19 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 14 April 2017 - 20:19

The thing I find saddest is that they don't communicate here on the forum anymore. I guess they have their reasons, hopefully they are working on new games etc. but still.

I'm kinda over DFC, I planned to buy it on ps4 as well but I don't think I'll do that now, I'll get the KS disc eventually, and probably play it again sometime after that.

I still look forward to Draugen and Svalbard, but I'll wait 'till they're out.

Again; I'm not mad at the time they took or anything like that, I'm just sadden over the lack of communication recently.
  • popcorngal and Indrid Cold like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#20 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 April 2017 - 23:13

Again; I'm not mad at the time they took or anything like that, I'm just sadden over the lack of communication recently.

I find myself in the same place.  Not angry...I don't know as I'd even say I'm sad...I think maybe both sad and disappointed?  I've never really been part of a forum before and to be a part of this one for so long and to have RTG coming here, responding to us on occasion, letting us in on their thoughts and feelings and reasons for things...that made them something different...something special.  And it made ME feel special...like they cared what we thought and what we felt...and now I just don't feel that way anymore.   :(

• Chocobo_sage, Teller, Edreamer Jamil and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users