34 replies to this topic

#21 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 28 February 2017 - 17:30

That's fine. Black humour is not for everyone. The end does justify the means in some cases. If you were the rat, we would call it a sacrifice. If it was not your choice, we would call the situation a dilemma. In the end, however, if by killing one you save many (and in this case everyone and the whole universe), this decision may be regrettable but necessary.

#22 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationTrieste (Italy)

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:05

That's fine. Black humour is not for everyone. The end does justify the means in some cases. If you were the rat, we would call it a sacrifice. If it was not your choice, we would call the situation a dilemma. In the end, however, if by killing one you save many (and in this case everyone and the whole universe), this decision may be regrettable but necessary.

A sacrifice usually implies the creature's awareness of its own sacrifice ;-)

Regrettable: yes, necessary: no. There are million ways to distract some guards other than sacrificing a rat...just to cite one think about Bip and the fireworks back in book 2 or 3. The game decided the rat was the only way but in real life one could try something different...anything really.

IF YOU'RE A GHOST.......JUST LEAVE ME BE!

#23 Hellegennes

Hellegennes

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationGreece, Thessaloniki

Posted 03 March 2017 - 21:40

However, security was less lax this time around, they were prepared. and the rat business certainly seemed less suspicious than any other kind of distraction. It was the safest choice.

#24 LootHunter

LootHunter

Fringe Café Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 03 March 2017 - 23:34

There are million ways to distract some guards other than sacrificing a rat...just to cite one think about Bip and the fireworks back in book 2 or 3.

Risking Bip's life to save some rat? Really?

#25 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:38

Risking Bip's life to save some rat? Really?

1) it happened in the game before...so, while it certaintly would be boring to have the same exact solution, it'd still be possible :)
2) risk his life? A distraction (Bip) doesn't necessarily imply risking one's life...it's not like Kian would send Bip inside the pipes XD

additional ruminations which don't have anything to do with this reply:

Spoiler

#26 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 March 2017 - 16:16

In the context of the game whether to kill a rat is not a moral dilemma. It seems to me that those who are making an argument for this being distasteful are making the arguments from the point of view of the player, while those of us not really getting the problem are approaching the issue from the point of view of the game.

So shifting focus so we're all talking about the same thing, the argument here kind of boils down to "I found this part uncomfortable" and "I didn't". Which, you know. Fair enough, I suppose.
  • Guyra and toremygg like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#27 the red of the kin

the red of the kin

Vestrum Herald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:19

So shifting focus so we're all talking about the same thing, the argument here kind of boils down to "I found this part uncomfortable" and "I didn't". Which, you know. Fair enough, I suppose.

Ok: I found that part uncomfortable...

#28 magritte

magritte

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 00:16

I didn't find it funny, but it would seem improbable to me that Kian would give a second thought about killing a rat.  Zoe might, but Kian's a soldier.  He's killed lots of people and probably hunted for his own food.  If you think about his life and society, where would he acquire any compunctions about killing animals?  Until recently that he didn't have much regard for the life of sentient non-humans.

• Valiah, Mr_Russ, Starseeker and 1 other like this

#29 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:31

I agree that there should have been other options......not because I felt like kian would care about a rat but because catching a rat to clog the machine up it one of the most difficult ways you could do it. You wouldn't try just picking up some rocks or dirt or grass which is just lying right there to clog the machine? it would take no time to try that. Maybe kian is just that dense. Or he hates rats so much that he is willing to risk harming the rebellion just to send the furry demons to elaborate deaths.

#30 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:43

If you listen to the guards, they talk about a rat getting caught in the pipes. Seems it happens sometimes. By using the rat, Kian is just trying to make sure nobody is suspicious when it breaks down.
If they found rocks, they would immediately suspect sabotage, and everyone would be on high alert
  • Valiah and Starseeker like this

#31 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 July 2017 - 13:12

Then again, pretty much every civilian in town is drunk at this point. The guards would most probably put it down to some drunken idiot deciding that it would be hilarious to stuff up the pipe with rocks or apples or yams (God forbid :P) or whatever. Not that it matters now that the final cut is out. So that's that.  :rolleyes:

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#32 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 19:46

Was just responding to the idea that using the rat was a nonsensical or worst option.  There are the guards talking about it happening.  That is as clear as a hint as it is possible to get, and gives a story reason on why using the rat is preferable.

As for a drunk person doing it, they'd still go searching for that drunk idiot.  The Azadi seem pretty strict and protective of their engine.  If there was any suspicion about somebody was actually causing damage (intentional or not), they'd be out searching for them, and the closest access hatch (right where Kian is) would be the first place they'd look. 

The rat offers a way for Kian to damage the engine, and cause a distraction without instigating a manhunt.

Not saying that RTG couldn't have come up with a better way of doing this.  Just saying that how the story is set up, using the rat makes the most sense.

• Valiah likes this

#33 odizzido

odizzido

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 18:24

Eh I dunno. It was also mentioned that he had to be quick because of the engineers tools are missing when he wakes up there will be trouble. Going through the trouble of catching a rat is a gamble as well. But then again this is the person who after opening the pipe with the special tool just leaves them open, as if that isn't a massive clue.

• the red of the kin likes this

#34 Raiden

Raiden

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:12

I'm sure that's not the worst thing that Kian's done with a pipe and a rodent... 

♪ A great adventure, is waiting for you ahead,

So hurry onward Lemmiwinks, or you will soon be dead. 

• dreamshifter likes this

#35 dreamshifter

dreamshifter

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 15:55

This game may be based in fantasy. That allows for it to be less than real, also more than real. It also allows for the game to shape itself to it's audience's feelings and imagination. I'm not sure if a rat being murdered in a pipe is really the darkest, most  violent thing in this franchise, in reality. :D But, the human heart feels what it feels. 

I will point out that, it's the player who murders the rat, by extension. Of course, it's not real but the player puts their heart into the game and journeys into it through their imagination, becoming absorbed. Kian actually can be made to murder people in this chapters series. Though, you could argue the circumstances were all different and that the rat had more "innocence". 

I've always played games with a heavy heart. I could not harm any one, or any thing. Though of course in games like Final Fantasy that wasn't the same case. :D

I think people may be more empathetic towards the rat, than say...the warden that Kian can murder, because of the circumstances and bond that people establish between animals and their pets. 

Honestly, I thought it was a little gross but it didn't bother me that much. I think it's the first animal, only animal murdered in the series....??

Oh, did crow die? I forget... This is game where people make decisions and they do it based on what they feel is right or wrong, given the circumstances.They often had to choose the lesser of evils in their minds and hearts. So they could convince their selves of what was right and wrong. With the rat, they had no choice. 

The rat was an innocent, used for Kian's SELFISH  PERSONAL AGENDA.  :lol: 

I always felt really bad about what happened to Flipper and April. But, rats need love too. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users