• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:51

I think he just remembered the horrible combat from first Dreamfall. Actually, if RTG managed to make it better I wouldn't mind to kick some Mr.London's goons' asses with Zoe (do you remember that she had 'black belt' in previous game?). However, what I reallly would like to see - some 'programming' puzzles at Pandemonium and to shut Dream Engine.

Oh I remember the shitty combat mechanics in DFC. Good god, do I remember. They've been the butt of a lot of jokes, which was part of why I wasn't sure if it was a joke.

I guess I just didn't follow the conclusion. DFC was pitched as not having combat. There wasn't any combat in the Books as originally released. I get that tweaks to gameplay and the introduction of a publisher into the mix is scary, but the introduction of combat at this stage just...doesn't seem like something to be super concerned about, even given all of that. Especially not when indie (or indie-esque) games that rely on things like C&C or exploration mechanics as primary gameplay are in vogue right now. I mean. I could be wrong and I'll be pissed if I am, but... it just seems so unlikely. I have a long list of things I'd be concerned about before that one. 

• Babel-17, bongboy and Hellegennes like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#42 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:40

The ways in which we can interpret the "changes to gameplay" are probably rather narrow. Changes to game mechanics, that would be another beast entirely. A change to gameplay is what we've seen in Book One, though this was subtractive instead of additive. Let's... hope for additive in that respect. :ph34r:

• Indrid Cold and bongboy like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#43 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3553 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:02

Oh I remember the shitty combat mechanics in DFC

Fixed it for you, I think.

• Indrid Cold and mrKnask like this

#44 willow

willow

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 14:17

Why no info with French voice version?

Last patch announce german voice but where are french voice promised in kickstarter?

Is it cancelled?

Thanks

up.

Please.

thanks

#45 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 14:22

Fixed it for you, I think.

Lol yeah. Was posting late and it's like habit to throw that C on there now. Usually I catch myself.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#46 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 17:27

Looking forward to all kickstarter rewards. I still can't get over remade book 1 intro though, especially after new line that made Zoe sound like a *itchy person.

#47 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 18:22

We’ll be talking specifics soon

Sooooo. How 'bout now?
  • MisterMetropolis and bongboy like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#48 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 24 January 2017 - 23:11

I was like "So what's an itchy person?" Then I was like "Ah, right!" :-D

• Mr_Russ likes this

#49 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 02 February 2017 - 23:46

Just noticed a 4.7gig update on steam for DFC. Maybe I'm just slow to notice lol

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#50 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 03 February 2017 - 18:08

Just noticed a 4.7gig update on steam for DFC. Maybe I'm just slow to notice lol

I think it took most of us by surprise at least the other day when Bruno posted this. I haven't checked, sounds like it's a proper update now then rather than a beta.

If you play it, would be interested to hear how you find it.

http://redthreadgame...168#entry145245

• Lee-m likes this

#51 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 19:18

I think it took most of us by surprise at least the other day when Bruno posted this. I haven't checked, sounds like it's a proper update now then rather than a beta.

If you play it, would be interested to hear how you find it.

http://redthreadgame...168#entry145245

Ah right, I'm clearly slacking (or my steam update was queued most likely). Might take a peek later and see what is what. I was waiting for the big final edition before I fired it up again however.

#52 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 22:00

From the Steam page.  Also, update is not yet on Gog.

Version 5.4 patch notes
February 2 - Red Thread Games
Version 5.4 has been in beta for almost one week, and is now moving to the main branch. There are some additional fixes and updates in the latest version. Please see the patch notes below for more information.

This major and long-delayed update includes full German localisation for the final two episodes, along with Unity engine upgrades and support for DirectX 11.

Please note that this is not The Final Cut patch, which we plan to release alongside the PlayStation and Xbox versions this spring. Existing customers will receive a free upgrade to The Final Cut edition, and we plan to sunset previous editions of Dreamfall Chapters.

Patch notes

Version 5.4.1 includes:
  • German voices for Book 4 and 5, and other localisation fixes
  • DirectX 11 support. If your video card is compatible, there should be noticeable performance improvements
  • New startup video and opening credits
  • Unity engine upgrade. This improves performance and fixes a number of bugs and glitches
  • Various audio fixes
  • Fix for pausing game when alt-tabbing out while in fullscreen mode
  • Fix for rare inventory bug
  • Fixed stuck head look-at

• Tina likes this

#53 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 February 2017 - 20:11

Yay on the German voices!!  That should make some of the forumites very happy!!

• Vainamoinen likes this

#54 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:14

It's odd cuz I've been extremely torn about this game since my second play through of book 5 and the feeling of disappointment has never really gone away. I guess I am still looking at the Final Cut to fix some of the problems that I'm having, but I think that I might be expecting more than we will eventually get. Reading Queenie's dialogue that was cut from Book 5 ignited a little bit of a spark still, so I'm guessing it could still happen. Maybe? It depends on the type of changes the Final Cut implements, but I should probably keep my expectations in check. Some things will look better visually, small gameplay improvements, traveling will be smoother and I assume some of the unnecessary dialogue will be cut out. Beyond that? Kickstarter promises maybe? I hope some of them will make it in there. 

For as harsh as I've been on the game in the past few months, I do think I probably should try to hold my judgement until the Final Cut is out. (I've really failed to do that thus far.) Anything that is 'fixed' between the Book 5 release and the Final Cut might just be things that RTG didn't have time/resources for previously. But I'm worried that my problems with the game go much deeper than anything the Final Cut could provide. Right now this entire universe and the characters in it have almost completely lost their appeal and I'm not sure if that will still come back. As someone who used to replay both Dreamfall and TLJ at least 5/6 times a year before Book 5 came out... that really makes me sad. 

On a more positive note though... this game did actually happen and that required a lot of dedication from Ragnar and his team. It was a big and ambitious project that a lot of people have spend a couple of years working on. And despite the problems I have with the game as a whole there are still quite a few sections of the game that are extremely memorable. And at the very least we have a lot of answers for questions left unanswered in Dreamfall even if the worlds feel less interesting now that those answered have actually been revealed. 

• Riaise and Lee-m like this

#55 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:11

But I'm worried that my problems with the game go much deeper than anything the Final Cut could provide. Right now this entire universe and the characters in it have almost completely lost their appeal and I'm not sure if that will still come back. As someone who used to replay both Dreamfall and TLJ at least 5/6 times a year before Book 5 came out... that really makes me sad.

Right there with you on that. Overall it just seems too disjointed between the two games, and even further distanced from the original. The real plotline always seemed to be hidden away behind a wall of other things. Even what there was is very abstract and confusing.

On a more positive note though... this game did actually happen and that required a lot of dedication from Ragnar and his team. It was a big and ambitious project that a lot of people have spend a couple of years working on. And despite the problems I have with the game as a whole there are still quite a few sections of the game that are extremely memorable. And at the very least we have a lot of answers for questions left unanswered in Dreamfall even if the worlds feel less interesting now that those answered have actually been revealed.

Still absolutely glad we got the game regardless of my long list of issues with it.

In fact, my early concerns were all technical. Support of an OS that would be dead on release, Wii U versions that would mean the game would have to fit in 1 gig of ram. And the answers to these tech questions really seemed to fall short of any real knowledge base.
But as it turned out, I think technically the game is outstanding for the budget. The stuff that I feel let down on, was the sruff I was sure we could count on to be brilliant.

I have been reserving a 2nd play though for when the real final version is out. Maybe there will be something extra in there that will help.
  • WorldsReunited and Starseeker like this

#56 Pekka

Pekka

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 February 2017 - 14:29

Glad to see progress is being made with the Final Cut! 

I intend to play through Chapters once more after the final version is released. After that, I guess I'll just let this series retire into the Pantheon of the Greatest Adventure Games of History.

However, I'm still hoping that the future will bring some new games that take place in TLJ universe - as unrealistic as such hopes may be.  :)

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur."

- Axel Oxenstierna (1583 - 1654)

#57 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 14:34

So, it's been a week now and the patch still isn't up on GOG. :mellow: I'm just wondering if there's some problem on RTG's end, or if the GOG people need a little nudge.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#58 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 18:22

So, it's been a week now and the patch still isn't up on GOG. :mellow: I'm just wondering if there's some problem on RTG's end, or if the GOG people need a little nudge.

All the outrage, the disappointment and the threats just count for the Steam version. :P

• Riaise likes this

#59 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2253 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 February 2017 - 18:30

All the outrage, the disappointment and the threats just count for the Steam version. :P

So, V, are you stating that all Steam-ites are raving mad, spittle-spewing lunatics???  *Glares wildly at V, catches herself, visibly takes a couple deep breaths*  I don't know where you could have gotten that idea from!!!   ;)

#60 locarno

locarno

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 19:49

Hello

Today I get 500MB patch. What is it ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, kickstarter update, january update, patch, german subtitles, console release, xbox, playstation, enhanced edition, final cut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users