Photo

UNOFFICIAL Dreamfall Chapters Fan Music Competition Rules & Entry Requirements (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)

unofficial fan music music competition music competition fan music competition

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#21 Marc

Marc

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:00

Great work Erika, I think everybody can consent with these thoroughly written contest rules  :)

I'm looking forward to contributing to the Fan Music Competition myself and to hearing the creativity this community contains when the  entries are released for voting. :D

#22 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:49

Thanks, Erika. :)

but lyrics are not a requirement to be a "song".
They are unless you're Mendelssohn (Lieder ohne Worte).

#23 Dreamshock

Dreamshock

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 21:02

I think I'm going to do this. I understand the original competition was cancelled because business is challenging. There shouldn't be so much fuss over the cancellation.

#24 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 21:13

They are unless you're Mendelssohn (Lieder ohne Worte).

Okay. FINE. :P

I use the terms interchangeably. I think it's probably an improper colloquial sort of deal. Whatever. I'll change it when I get a minute. :P

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#25 Miriamele

Miriamele

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 30 August 2014 - 21:31

Woot!  Very excited to see what people submit.  I don't have a musical bone in my body, but am really looking forward to hearing all of the entries!

Me too! And I'm very happy that people managed to pick up the pieces of the very shattered official competiton, and turn it into something positive.

#26 MailMan

MailMan

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 31 August 2014 - 00:43

I uploaded mine too. Huge thanks Erika for organizing this!

"Your rat catching skills will matter little in the grand scheme of things."

#27 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:06

I uploaded mine too. Huge thanks Erika for organizing this!

Listening to yours now. Nice work! 

• MailMan likes this

#28 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:42

Hi, Erika. No need to do anything. Your FAQ is fine. :)

My first (of two) is uploaded now. Thank you to all concerned for making this happen.

#29 Dreamshock

Dreamshock

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 19:28

Off-topic: Has anyone ever listened to Andain? Their music fits well with Dreamfall in my opinion.

#30 Adaptive Unconscious

Adaptive Unconscious

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:12

I'e uploaded mine, one version stark, one for arcadia, and one misc :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#31 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 01 September 2014 - 13:49

Why don't you allow more entries for X part of the album?

Okay, if quantity of entries for a particular area is seriously lacking, we can reasses this, but for now it basically boils down to fairness and I think it will even itself out. 

If we said that say, more people might want to submit Stark songs than Arcadia songs and allowed people to submit two Arcadia songs, then people who only want to submit for Arcadia would get two entries while people who maybe only wanted to submit for Stark would only get one. Keeping it to one per area offers an additional challenge to the participants. If they want to maximize their entries, they may have to think outside the box a bit or try something new. Which is half the fun of a totally unofficial and not for prizes contest. 

Thanks for your thoughts in the FAQ about entries per category. Thanks for your time...

The pressure of talent for some with more relevant songs per category could be compensated with uplifting songs from one to two per category and still withholding the total of 3 songs per person.

In many cases It could benefit both the album and the participants. If you have more songs for one category, you can then chose that category and still get 2 of them into the competition.

Benefit: We all have more relevant songs to chose from and people with different talents can better fit their own talent into the album. We have to optimise the opportunities we have, and that is fairness. This is not only about challenge and fun but about music. This is like making an anthology of a special kind of music.

• Riaise likes this

#32 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 18:15

Okay. So...How about this: 

How many people have a bunch of entries they're sitting on because the current rules don't allow them to submit them? 

Submissions so far have been great, but there haven't been a ton. I'm just trying to get a gauge on how many people are working on entries and will be waiting until the end of the submission window, vs. how many people are limiting their submissions  because of the rules. 

Also, please help me spread the word about the contest. I really feel like there have to be a ton of people who aren't aware that we're doing this (though I suppose there are probably quite a few who are no longer interested since we're not giving out prizes). 

#33 MailMan

MailMan

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 02 September 2014 - 18:27

I'm working on an entry for Stark right now. I know 90% of the entries have been for Stark as of yet, but I felt I the lack of metal disturbing  :cannon:

• mrKnask likes this

"Your rat catching skills will matter little in the grand scheme of things."

#34 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 18:34

Actually, on the official SoundCloud, things are pretty evenly split between Stark and Arcadia, with Arcadia having one more (unless I counted wrong). 

Though I'm pretty sure there are a few songs that were posted around on all the threads in the aftermath of the official contest falling apart that haven't been submitted yet. 

Maybe I should start searching for those posts and PMing people. 

#35 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 19:20

Yep.

So far I see:

• 4 Arcadia Tracks
  • 3 Stark Tracks
  • 1 Misc Track

And a great start, too.  I have listened to all of them, and I can't wait to hear more.

Just a tip.  You should always be able to remove a track from the group*, so you can push out drafts to see people's reactions if you want and then replace them later.  However, if you have already sent your submission information to agirlnamedbob, you should let her know if your track is leaving or being replaced, etc.

* Can someone confirm that you can remove your submitted tracks?  As a moderator, I can do it, but I don't have experience with uploading tracks to a group that I am not moderating.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#36 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 02 September 2014 - 19:23

I want to make something, but I just don't have the time or energy at the moment. :(
  • wandrew likes this

#37 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 19:24

You can also always upload something and not tag it / not message me about it yet and post about it to receive feedback. And if you decide not to submit a particualr track, just don't submit it officially and tag it as a bonus track. 

And yeah, also have to agree. Have listened to all the submissions so far and yeah. Going to be a tough competition, me thinks. 

EDIT: I'm sorry, Tore. :( The deadline is still a ways off, so maybe you'll find some energy and time? But I understand. 

Though even if you miss the contest deadline, we'd love to have something of yours on the running playlist. 

#38 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 02 September 2014 - 21:32

Okay. So...How about this: 

How many people have a bunch of entries they're sitting on because the current rules don't allow them to submit them? 

Submissions so far have been great, but there haven't been a ton. I'm just trying to get a gauge on how many people are working on entries and will be waiting until the end of the submission window, vs. how many people are limiting their submissions  because of the rules. 

Also, please help me spread the word about the contest. I really feel like there have to be a ton of people who aren't aware that we're doing this (though I suppose there are probably quite a few who are no longer interested since we're not giving out prizes).

Hey Erika,

Although I myself am not musically inclined, my brother is. He is intending on making a submission, but it is likely to be closer to the end of the submission window. The extension of the time frame has actually meant he no longer has to split his time between this and a prior commitment which is nice :)

#39 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 23:32

Ironing out the details with my friend on a couple that will be submitted. A couple of them are being worked on. Hopefully will have them up within a week or so.

Edit: My older brother did submit something he was working on though. He is Digital Fiend. :)

#40 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:58

Listening to the SoundCloud stuff now. Not sure I dare upload anything in that company... :P 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unofficial, fan music, music, competition, music competition, fan music competition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users