WINNERS ANNOUNCED HERE!
Welcome to the Unofficial Dreamfall Chapters Fan Music Competition!
As you likely already know, the original music competition was canceled due to unforeseen circumstances.
HOWEVER we have decided to host our own UNOFFICIAL competition. Discussions on the topic started here, if you are curious.
It is similar to the original competition, but the entries will not be judged by RTG. Instead they will be judged by your fellow fans. They will also not be included in the game in any official capacity. We have been told, however, that there will be a way to mod our own tracks into the game, so Fans may choose to add your music as some ambient music in the game.
Our unofficial album will have three “sides” or categories.
- Side A – Songs Inspired by Stark
- Side B – Songs Inspired by Arcadia
- Side C – Miscellaneous (This can include songs that either don’t fit with either Stark or Arcadia, or songs that are inspired by other locals such as the Storytime.)
- The contest will run from Saturday, August 30th until 23:59 CET October 11th, 2014. Your contribution(s) must be submitted within this timeframe. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Every contribution must be of your own creation. We’re poor fans, this is totally unofficial. Please don’t do anything shady that could get us in trouble.
- This is totally unofficial, so you retain all rights to your music. By submitting your music to the contest, however, you are giving fans permission to use it and enjoy it in their own mixes or mod it into the game.
- Voting to select winners will begin shortly after the submission deadline. Details to follow.
- Winners get full bragging rights and will be included in the final compilation, though all submissions will be retained in a larger Unofficial Unofficial Playlist.
- You are allowed a maximum of one (1) submission per “section” of the album, for a total of three (3) submissions. Meaning you may submit one song for Stark, one song for Arcadia, and one song for Misc. If you have additional songs for each area, you are welcome to share them with the community, but they will not be counted as official entries.
- You are not required to submit more than one track unless you want to.
How to submit a track
Upload your music (the higher the quality, the better) to the Soundcloud group we have created here. Please tag each entry with either #DFCStark, #DFCArcadia or #DFCMisc so people can easily tell what part of the album the song is meant for.
If for some reason you do not feel comfortable using Soundcloud, please let me know. We will figure out a workaround. .
- Once all of your submissions are uploaded, send me a single PM with the following information:
- Name and length of track(s) submitted.
- Part of the album each track is intended for.
- Best method of contacting you (either via PM or an email address if you prefer)
- Direct link to your submission(s).
- Do NOT attach any files to your message! Attached files will be discarded. Only download links are accepted.
In case this moves beyond the forum or you are a lurker who does not want to register for an account here for whatever reason, you may email your submission information to DFCMusicContestUnofficial@gmail.com. Please put Unofficial DFC Music Competition in the subject line.
Do NOT attach audio files or any other documents to your email. These will be discarded.
How to submit a track for the general playlist
If you want to submit a track for the community playlist but either do not want it included in the contest or have already submitted your entries, but want to share some more sweet tunes, you may add them to the Soundcloud above via the same method described. I suggest also tagging these entries with #DFCBonusTrack as well as their location tag so people are aware that they aren’t proper entries.
For these entries, you do not need to PM / Email.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to post or PM me.
Also, PLEASE spread the word about this contest. Do your best to get the word out so everyone who wanted to participate in the original contest knows that this exists.
Best of luck!
Why are we limiting the number of entries per category?
Because that seemed to be more or less the largest consensus among people who were discussing participating. It also evens the playing field and prevents one or two people from totally cleaning house. Again, remember, you can unofficially submit as many tracks as you want for community enjoyment, but pick your best in each category for the unofficial contest.
One of the other reasons for doing this is that a select (to be determined) number of tracks will be chosen for each side, where as RTG sort of had the luxury of picking as many or as few tracks as they wanted in the old contest. So we're adjusting the rules a bit to make it support the "album" final product we're creating.
Was the ability to add our own music to the game confirmed?
I'm not going to hold Ragnar to anything, as unexpected issues can come up, but a quote from the man himself:
Good news, everyone!(Please read that in your best Professor Farnsworth voice.)After seeing all the positive initiative in this thread, and after a brief chat with our chief code dude this morning, we've decided to put support for music modding high up on our to-do list. In other words, you'll be able to place your own music into a directory and have it play throughout Europolis — and, later, Marcuria.It's not the same as having the music be part of the game proper, but it's a decent compromise. And if our community creates an unofficial compilation album, we will definitely make sure players know about it. Without making it seem like we're taking advantage, of course.And, hey, if you want Taylor Swift to blast out of every bar and radio in Europolis, you'll have that option, too.