#141 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 20:53

That sounds concerning. If the entries violate the established contest rules then I suppose they should be removed. As far as copyright is concerned, the album is AFAIK only links to other user's soundcloud posts. So I can unlink the tracks, but I cannot remove them per-se. I'll take a look after work today.
  • agirlnamedbob and Victorplepe like this

#142 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 20:58

Yeah. I mean... I'm fine unlinking it from the playlist? :/ 

It's unfortunate. I'm not worried about any sort of ramifications or anything, but that does kind of violate the spirit of the thing? I don't know. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#143 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 00:01

I sent a message to ostubash.  I want to get his opinion before I take anything down, which I think would look like summarily declaring someone's work unoriginal.  (just to keep everyone in the loop).

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#144 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:00

Hey,

So as I told jlddoger, that was a track we threw out there as a Bonus track. It was never going to be submitted for the game when the official contest was out and it was never supposed to be part of the voting. It was something Atari just did for fun to build around that sample with his own sounds, since it fit the vibe. He's never sampled Depeche Mode at all which is funny, because that is 100% Depeche Mode. So he's actually just finding that out now. Whoever he sampled initially, he didn't know sampled them. This was just a track he did for fun anyway that initially he was going to rap over and just throw it out for free. But he didn't end up doing that and this contest came about, I heard it and thought it fit the vibe so I added it as a bonus track.

Feel free to remove it in any case.

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 2 others like this

#145 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:04

Honestly, the whole thing is "unofficial" so I'm not really all that bothered by it. It's not like we're printing it so it's not a huge deal. But thanks for the clarification. I'ts appreciated. :) Sorry if we seemed rude. 

• khh and ostubash like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#146 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:05

Oh yeah-- I didn't think there was any intentional wrongdoing.  I wasn't even really thinking in terms of the contest-- I just didn't know if it should be on the DFC soundcloud if it's based on copywritten work (even if we didn't know it).  :)

And I didn't know if it could make its way onto some future physical CD of the tracks.

• ostubash likes this

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#147 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:13

Alright, ostubash got back to me. He pointed out quite reasonably that the track is in the bonus tracks list in part because the work is a remix and that it was never meant to be part of the album proper.

He is also fine with me removing the track from the list.

So I'll plan to remove the track later today, unless someone comes up with a reason not to before then.

And just for my own clarity, we want to ensure that the tracks are original so that there is no concern with including them in the game should a modding option materialize or otherwise downloading and enjoying them. Right?

Or is there a different reason?

nm. you answered my question before I posted it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users