#1 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 14:41

Well it seems that even though the music contest has been cancelled, there is still interest in creating fan based music. I'm starting this thread so that all interested can post their ideas here for creating music with the aim of ultimately putting together a fan based album.

It should be stated that all artists submitting content retain their own licenses and rights. If anything is submitted, it's with the understanding that it will be put to use only for the purposes of putting together an album. (if someone can put this in better legalize, please do so!)

So without further ado, let's put our heads together! :)

PS: if a moderator wants to move this to a more appropriate subforum, please do so! :)

• Edreamer Jamil, TalkingOak, khh and 11 others like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#2 UPtimist

UPtimist

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:14

It should be stated that all artists submitting content retain their own licenses and rights. If anything is submitted, it's with the understanding that it will be put to use only for the purposes of putting together an album. (if someone can put this in better legalize, please do so!)

The Dreamfall Chapters Unofficial Album Project (henceforth known as 'the Project') is not a commercial project or in any way affiliated with Red Thread Games (henceforth known as 'RTG') or any other company, organization or government. The purpose of the Project is to collect a wide array of songs and other musical pieces, intended originally the for since-cancelled unnamed musical competition by RTG for their video game (Dreamfall Chapters) for free listening, comparison and enjoyment of the Red Thread Games Community and its backers (henceforth known as 'the Community'). A secondary objective of the Project is a compilation of said musical pieces is the compilation of the Dreamfall Chapters Unofficial Album (henceforth known as "the Album') with as-of-yet unannounced method of selection, or by inclusion of all submissions. All submissions into the Project will remain the property of those responsible for it, and the Project claims no responsibility for any copyright or other legal issues such as unauthorized copying of other pieces of music or the illegal usage of musical samples. All submissions must be the property of the submitter, or submitted witht the consent of the rights-holder. The Project and the Album are non-commercial projects, and no compensation will be assigned to those submitting pieces for it, and the Album will be freely distributed by means not yet decided, but those involved in the Project hope and believe that as a non-commercial project the goodwill, happiness it spreads and the fact that it's a frickin' fan-driven, completely voluntary project where no one loses anything and only have something to gain won't gain any resistance and those who have a problem with it can just remove the stick from up their arse.

Got a little bored toward the end, there ;)
  • Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, agirlnamedbob and 14 others like this
The Dreamer who dreams, ten trillion miles of dark...
Chrysta Bell - Angel Star

Some of my pictures: 500px, See.Me, Flickr

#3 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:25

Super stoked for this and I hope it becomes a thing. :)

I don't really music, but I was in choir for years and I do still sing for fun on occasion, so you know. If anyone needs an alto for some background singing...

;)

• TalkingOak, DiskJunky, blaster and 1 other like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#4 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 16:15

Got a little bored toward the end, there ;)

Nicely done, UPtimist, and make no mistake the end was the best part.  :sohappy:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#5 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 16:35

Cool that you made this thread DiskJunky, and I loved the legal stuff UPtimist (the ending made it perfect ;) )

Now I just need to get my shit together and start making some songs/melodies, at least I'll have more than two weeks to wrap it up now ;) (Trying my best to be a "glass half full" kinda guy :P )

• DiskJunky likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#6 cthulhie

cthulhie

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGreater Chicago Metropolitan Area (ahem), IL

Posted 27 August 2014 - 16:42

Ooh ooh ooh posted to the wrong thread but basically--I created a forum account pretty much exclusively the upvote this idea!

When I first read the announcement about the contest, I very briefly considered going back to some of my *very* old music and seeing if there was anything appropriate to the universe that I could "remaster," or maybe get back into it and try my hand at some new songs.  The actual likelihood that I would've gotten around to it admittedly slim, but it was just enough to get me pretty engaged with the idea.

To jump (perhaps prematurely) to the logistics for this, would it make sense to choose a platform, perhaps that would support both contributions and community "likes" (but not dislikes).  Or is that overthinking it only a couple of hours after the idea was pitched? (I'm just thinking that if I did submit my mediocre tracks, I'd like contributors with actual talent to be able to bubble to the top and not be obscured by my lazy hobbyist submissions....  But this might be injecting negativity into the discussion much too early.)

Anyway, I'm greatly looking forward to watching this develop!

• DiskJunky and mrKnask like this

#7 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:01

It's probably a bit early to decide exactly how this is gonna be but it's always smart to start thinking about it :)

I think that right now we're all just a bit shellshocked :wacko:

• Veen Friend likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#8 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:04

I think this will work!  :D Keep it simple, non-competitive and non-commercial.

• mrKnask likes this

#9 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:10

Wow, so much can happen in 24 hours.  When I heard about the cancellation, I had an alternative idea that might fit well as a riff on the DFC Unofficial Album.  The problem, as far as I can tell, with the competition was that it could be seen as solicitation for free work.  While I don't think that it was inappropriate for RTG to offer this opportunity to the community, that ship has sailed.  So RTG is no longer soliciting music.  But there has been nothing to state that community members cannot still offer their musical "funs" (I'll avoid the word "works" here) for consideration for inclusion in the game.

I understand that not all submitters to the DFC Unofficial Album may want to share with RTG, but why not ask everyone who submits music to the DFC Unofficial Album to also submit whether, or not, they would be willing to have their music in the game, and if so submit the same information that RTG originally requested for the competition.

Then RTG could, if they chose, select from the approved music in the DFC Unofficial Album and include it at will.  There probably isn't a good way to arrange a guaranteed credit from RTG in the game credits, but I bet they would be awesome enough to credit authors if they chose to include the music.

This way RTG is not soliciting anyone, and interested authors can still submit music for consideration.

#10 Nines

Nines

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:14

You can create a group on Soundcloud, and everyone who is in this group can share tracks, uploaded to their main profile page. Thus, music will be in one place.

#11 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:16

I think that's been answered in KS, jlddodger. Stuart Fox suggested something similar. Have a look at that and Ragnar's response.

The DFC Unofficial Album is a great idea as a completely stand-alone project and should probably stay that way.

#12 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:18

I have a friend who's studying some law stuff right now and is very interested in copyright law as it pertains to geeky stuff, so when the time comes, I can ask him some questions and see if he can help us draft up proper "cover your butt" legal phrasing depending on what we do with this. And I've got enough experience with freelancing that I can help draw up a rights retention agreement. If, you know, people want to go that route. Whatever makes participants in this project feel the most comfortable. I'm not sure we really need any of that, but I think in the wake of all of the...everything... it's sort of on everyone's mind. 

And jlddodger - Ragnar has actually responded to similar issues. They feel that at this point if they use anyone's music for free, even if said person is asking them do it, they'd be opening themselves up to people continuing to call them unethical, etc. So they're not going to go there. It's unfortunate, but at this point their best way to contain the shitstorm is to just totally back away from it. 

But, you know. We can do our fan thing still. 

Edit -  :ph34r: 'd

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#13 UPtimist

UPtimist

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:41

Their handling the situation (by basically backing away) makes absolute sense for a small gaming company like this, and is probably the right thing to do. If it was just one person, I feel they'd be much more inclined to just say "f*** you, this competition isn't hurting anyone, bring it on!" but with so many people on the line, it's better to not bring the controversy and risk many peoples' career options.

As for legal stuff for this project, there isn't really any needed as long as it's just, you know, us guys submitting songs for us to make a "mixtape" from, and no one sells it or anything. But I guess if this thing manages to get big or something and y'all actually start making actual CDs it's good to have your rear covered, but as a fellow law student I can say that there's really nothing that could come from this legally in any perceivable continuity.

Also, thank you everyone for liking my post so much :lol: I've never had so much love for one post before :P

• agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar, Mr_Russ and 1 other like this
The Dreamer who dreams, ten trillion miles of dark...
Chrysta Bell - Angel Star

Some of my pictures: 500px, See.Me, Flickr

#14 bennisines

bennisines

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 17:44

The legaleeze was perfect and the soundcloud group suggestion as well. Did anyone start one?

I'll start off by reposting the song I posted in the general forum. And add one. I also these could work for a club in Europolis for example:

Dreamer

https://soundcloud.c...nisines/dreamer

Evolution

https://soundcloud.c...-full-song-free

Feel free to add them to a group if one exists.

If I get my motivation back from this debacle I might also create a new original track inspired by what's released so far from the game.

Oh and they have a fan-friendly CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 licence: http://creativecommo...s/by-nc-sa/3.0/ :)

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Lee-m and 10 others like this

#15 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:00

Nice to see hear some songs here :) Not what I usually listen to but I liked it! Good melodies, made me want to plug in my guitar and jam on top of it :)

#16 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:14

If there's a Classic FM in Europolis, that's where my stuff belongs. :)

#17 MailMan

MailMan

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:15

Here's my song - I imagined it being played by a troupe of traveling musicians on a street or a square in Marcuria.

The Dusk of Arcadia

bennisines, these are some pretty neat tunes. Not the kind of stuff I generally listen to, either, but if - for whatever reason - I'd stumble into a place where electronic music was the thing, and your songs were on, I wouldn't complain  ;)

• Edreamer Jamil, trentjaspar, Lee-m and 11 others like this

"Your rat catching skills will matter little in the grand scheme of things."

#18 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:21

I really liked that MailMan :)

#19 chixor

chixor

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:47

Wow some great stuff here already!

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#20 cthulhie

cthulhie

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGreater Chicago Metropolitan Area (ahem), IL

Posted 27 August 2014 - 18:48

bennisines--I'm really liking the sound of those tracks as both compelling and able to serve as a strong backdrop without being utterly distracting on their own.  I realize it's a little touchy commenting that the music is able to be ignored, but I truly mean it in the best way!  Love them both and would totally have them on in the background of my play sessions.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users