• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrAngelus

MrAngelus

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:28

I just bought the game on Steam and about to start my first play through. I read somewhere i need to sign up for an online account to play the game

where would i do that? or is the login information i use for this forum the same thing?

#2 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:43

I've heard nothing about having to sign up for an online account in order to play the game. I've played through the entire game a few times, but I've only ever played the GOG version. There is something they implemented when book 5 was released where with the Steam version only, you can create an account with RTG (which is different from your forum account) and login to it so it can also save your game, in addition to having the savegames stored on your hard drive and Steam. The only reason to do this is if you ever feel like playing the game on another platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4), and keep your savegames. I have no idea how to do this, as I don't do Steam, but I do know that it's not required for you to be able to play the game, or for your savegames to be saved. I think they added this so that if you already have the PC, Mac or Linux version and buy the PS4 version when it's released, you can use your PC/Mac/Linux savegames on the PS4.

• Vainamoinen likes this

#3 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2016 - 14:14

It's not necessary to sign up to be able to play the game. It's just an option for players, as  bongboy said, to be able to sync their progress over to another computer or system and continue from where you left off.

However, I have to emphasize that this feature is not constrained to the Steam version of the game. It's available in all released builds of Book Five.

Simple version of how the system works is as follows:

You enter your email address in the Login Window (pops up automatically when opening the game for the first time, or you can access it at anytime by pressing the button in the top-right of the Title Menu).

Once your email address is entered, you'll receive an email from our servers with a link to verify the connection to your game.

Once you've verified, you will be logged in (visible by your email showing in the top-right of the Title Menu instead of it saying "Log in").

When you play the game, your most recent savegame/progress will get uploaded to our servers every time a save occurs.

Then, the next time you open the game or return to the Title Menu, the system will compare the timestamp of your local save files versus the data that's uploaded to our servers.

If it finds a more recent savegame on the server, compared to what you have locally on your disk, a window will pop up where you'll have the option to update to the most recent progress (you'll get the latest save from the server).

Hope that clarifies a bit. :)

• agirlnamedbob, Indrid Cold and bongboy like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#4 MrAngelus

MrAngelus

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 23:10

Thanks RTG and bongboy for the information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users