deviques

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPlau am See, Germany

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:08

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if you are still working on optimizing the game?

My story. As a Kickstarter backer I played the first book on release day, and I noticed some severe performance issues back then on my desktop PC. There was a discussion about performance issues on the forums, I decided to wait for the five books to be released and try it again.

Now I wanted to play the game on my almost new laptop with these specs:

i7-4500U
16 GB ram

GeForce GT 750 M

Other games run smoothly, sometimes I have to lower some settings here and there. Now with DFC I tried to play it on Medium settings and it was unplayable at FPS between 10-15. I lowered EVERY setting and left the resolution on Full HD (the display demands it). Now I get 22 FPS! (I'm at the Kian escape scene)

I know that you worked hard on the optimization of the game, but this is (still) unacceptable.

Now, that the game is practically done, finished, are you still optimizing it? I ask this to know if I should keep trying coming back to the game, checking if it works now or should I forget it?

Thank you for your answer in advance,

Best regards.

#2 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:18

Your display doesn't limit your resolution to FullHD. Try 720p at Medium settings and have fun. Just remember to set your GPUs option to upscale the image.

#3 deviques

deviques

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPlau am See, Germany

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:26

Your display doesn't limit your resolution to FullHD. Try 720p at Medium settings and have fun. Just remember to set your GPUs option to upscale the image.

Look, I understand that I have the option to lower the settings, but this isn't the solution. The poor performance is not justified.

Maybe someone from the developers can answer my question. Are you still optimizing the game or just letting it be?

#4 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6153 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 17:57

Ich fürchte, Ragnar hat diese Frage bereits beantwortet.

EDIT: Oh, and while we totally understand how frustrating poor performance can make playing the game, it's not really something we can fix. We can make further tweaks and optimisations, but it won't result in a huge difference. Unity 5 has limitations, we're pushing the engine to its limits, and if the game runs poorly even on low settings, there really is no good solution, unfortunately.

However, the case mentioned here strikes me as a bit odd, because deviques' hardware is much better than mine and he still gets much worse performance out of it.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#5 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2016 - 18:55

Don't overestimate that GPU:
http://www.notebookc...0M.90228.0.html

DFCs settings don't really scale very much, the only exception is the resolution. This is why I suggested trying 720p.

#6 Z43

Z43

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 21:15

Having tried to play it on laptops, it's essentially unplayable. You can kinda sort of run it, but it's a waste of an otherwise good game, as much of what is good about it gets overshadowed by heavy lag. Better to leave it till you get back home to your desktop.

The poor performance is not justified.

Like the price of a wine, it is what it is, not justified or unjustified - you're paying to get that specific vintage from that specific vineyard, not a particular quality level proportionate to the price.

For DFC, you have to provide a lot of hardware. That's just how it is; you can get a better looking game with less hardware from another developer, but you can't get the same game from another developer. This is quite common for indie games, which don't have the budget to customize sophisticated engines and optimize performance to perfection.

• bongboy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fps, performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users