288 replies to this topic

#121 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:48

For those of us who haven't been following, would someone care to sum up what happened here?

From what I can gather, it appears there was a negative reaction based around the perception that RTG were asking people to work for free?

#122 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:49

Yup. :(

#123 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:52

From what I can gather, it appears there was a negative reaction based around the perception that RTG were asking people to work for free?

Fans wanted contest

RTG made contest

Non-fans made shitstorm

RTG pulled contest

Fans want contest

Which should prove those right who think life is a circle.

• Tina, WorldsReunited, TalkingOak and 3 others like this

#124 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:52

Man, this sucks so much.. :(

I have just lost my chance to "be" in my favourite adventure game saga..

And right when my music was starting to "go places", this is frustrating.

I imagine I'm not the only one with this feeling. Some of you must be going through the same.

Hand in shoulder for those of you.

And a big angry stare to the raging foolish internet mob... who always fails to understand things, and shouldn't represent the rest of us :(

• Silvirish4ever, DiskJunky and Veen Friend like this

#125 chixor

chixor

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:54

As a finalist in the art competition I found it an extremely rewarding experience. I'm no professional artist, no one will ever pay me for my artwork, but being able to submit works for one of my favourite universes was wonderful. When I saw the music competition announcement I was excited for the musicians among us to have the same opportunity.

My understanding of the problem is that RTG can't, for moral reasons, expect musicians to work for free.

Why don't the fans do their *own* fan music competition coincidentally using RTG's rules (why write our own when RTG laid out some that are perfectly fine?). To participate you must release the works publicly. Then later on if RTG would consider ever using any of the publicly available works in the game then it's at the consideration of each artist if they want to allow it.

A free, community run competition is entirely above board and usage in the game is at the discretion of the individual artist, which is as it should be and not the discretion of a few shouty individuals robbing others of an opportunity to creatively engage with the universe.

• Consili likes this

#126 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:55

But would it sound in-game at any point...?

I'm with Ragnar on this, it wouldn't be a good idea. What could be done is a mod however (again, unofficial). This sould fulfill RTG's legal obligations while allowing the fans to extend and tweak. Assuming we can mod the game

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#127 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:58

For those of us who haven't been following, would someone care to sum up what happened here?

Yup. :(

RTG announced a contest

Fans happy

Big shitstormed ensued, essentially about RTG exploiting composers and artists instead of paying them

RTG tried to explain but ended up apologing for misunderstanding and pulled contest

Fans not happy :(

Fans try to console Ragnar + RTG

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#128 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

I'm with Ragnar on this, it wouldn't be a good idea. What could be done is a mod however (again, unofficial). This sould fulfill RTG's legal obligations while allowing the fans to extend and tweak. Assuming we can mod the game

Ooooh, sneaky. Me likey!

• Riaise and DiskJunky like this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#129 Marc

Marc

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I think its ironic in this context that inXile actually made the fans 'pay' for adding creative content to Torment (designing artifacts and NPG's as part of their $350+ tiers for the Torment kickstarter)

• Consili likes this

#130 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:59

Assuming we can mod the game

Hehe, if we can, then it should even be possible for RTG to program extra handles for this kind of audio in the game, to allow for "a richer experience". :P Not saying I'd want them to expend any energy on it, but...

EDIT: 700 posts! Wooohoooo!

• wandrew and DiskJunky like this

#131 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:00

Sometimes I hate the internet. Today is one of those days.

• trentjaspar and Riaise like this

#132 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:00

Ooooh, sneaky. Me likey!

where there's a willy, there's a way ;) (or not a willy as the case may be ;) )

• Silvirish4ever likes this

#133 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:01

We also accept beer, booze and salty snacks. Just sayin'.

Oh, and most of Animator Eivind's T-shirts have massive holes in them. For his sake — and ours! — we will accept T-shirts, size L.

Oh noes, don't tell that to the "fans", they might sue you for forcing people to buy your socks without holes :P

Also your comment about "unethical" , I hope you don't take them seriously about you being "unethical", They just make you feel like that as a "term of force", because they're envious about the contest ,nothing more. Because you kick their holy grail of what they consider good practice for music industry, and they actually don't grant others this fun.

• DiskJunky likes this

#134 kellkerrick

kellkerrick

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:07

Hehe, if we can, then it should even be possible for RTG to program extra handles for this kind of audio in the game, to allow for "a richer experience". :P Not saying I'd want them to expend any energy on it, but...

Perhaps there can be a mod where we can copy music files into a folder and the game can read from it for diegetic (a new word for me too :)) music. We can then enjoy our own in-game soundscape privately. The music files could be sourced from an unofficial Dreamfall Chapters soundtrack that fans would have generously contributed to :)

• Atrus likes this

#135 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:12

I agree. And in this way every replay of the game can have additional value as we discover new "hidden" music from that always changing fan-made musical folder.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#136 Pirateguybrush

Pirateguybrush

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:19

Hm.  I get why some people would be upset.  There have been a lot of "competitions" lately with overly restrictive terms, asking artists (including musicians) to submit work for the grand prize of "exposure" and sometimes a small cash prize.  These are pretty exploitative, and reek of companies trying to cut costs and exploit artists.  I've mostly seen this from big companies, asking people to work on their ad campaigns for free.  They often require contestants to surrender all rights to their work too.

This doesn't read that way to me at all though.  It looked like a chance for fans to contribute to a thing they love in a fun way, without losing their rights and ownership of the works.  That's a shame.  An official way to add our own music for diegetic tracks would be nice though (as kellkerrick just suggested).

On a somewhat related note, has there been any announcement for the composer yet?

#137 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:22

I think its ironic in this context that inXile actually made the fans 'pay' for adding creative content to Torment (designing artifacts and NPG's as part of their $350+ tiers for the Torment kickstarter)

There certainly are a great many other projects that could have been a target for the kind of negative response RTG received. Why RTG became the focal point for all this I simply do not understand. It seems to be a stroke of really bad luck.

I really hope that this kind of response to community engagement projects by small developers does not become a trend, as it is this kind of connection with the community that is so commendable and valued by fans.

For the record I also don't see an issue with what the Torment project did either. It is like what Planetary Annihilation did with higher tiers being able to produce custom commander unit skins that were then offered as cosmetic transactions to the player base.

#138 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:32

tl;dr version

People who blame RTG for asking for free contribution of music (as if it's the ONLY music that's gonna be in the game), and disregarding the complexities and opportunities of modern interactrive digital media exchange between fans and the developer.

Oh but if VALVE does it it's ok! Oh hey but the prize you win is under NDA that is how it SHOULD be done no ?

Kthxbai, I don't want to take part in this hypocricy.

#139 Marc

Marc

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:37

For the record I also don't see an issue with what the Torment project did either. It is like what Planetary Annihilation did with higher tiers being able to produce custom commander unit skins that were then offered as cosmetic transactions to the player base.

I'm also a backer of Torment and I don't have an issue with it either. It was a comment on remarks of some critics that having your art featuring in the game can't be a reward in itself.

• CosmicD and Consili like this

#140 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:40

I'm also a backer of Torment and I don't have an issue with it either. It was a comment on remarks of some critics that having your art featuring in the game can't be a reward in itself.

Oh I realise that, just clarifying my stance is all :)

I'm a Torment backer as well (though a slacker backer as I only found out about the project after the kickstarter, still trying to get them to fix my account upgrade).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users