#41 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:48

Read the comments in the Kickstarter update and on the contest announcement twitter, vaiomaniac, and you'll see for yourself. (Or don't if you still want to keep your faith in humanity, lol).

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#42 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

(Or don't if you still want to keep your faith in humanity, lol).

Lost that long ago. Still not reading the comments. :sotb:

#43 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Ragnar (and RTG),

I'm really hoping you guys will reconsider canceling the entire competition only after a day or so of revealing the rules. This competition was actually spoken about a year ago. I've had my friend working on music for this throughout the year or so. To say the least, I'm very bummed out right now. I wish you guys would have at least let this ride out for longer to gauge the reaction before canceling this completely.

Unfortunately, due to the reaction in various forums and closed groups, and the private feedback some of our team members have received, we cannot in good faith reopen this competition.

We apologise for this. There was no way for us to know how badly some people would react beforehand, but now that we do know, we will not be attempting a similar contest in the future.

• khh and vaiomaniac like this

#44 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:51

Apparently, RTG were trying to take advantage of poor, starving musicians or something. :uncrow:

Oh come on that is a bunch of BS if RTG is being accused of that  RTG is basicly given these "starving" musicians free publicity a lot more people will be exposed to their music how is this a bad thing ??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE !!!!

• Jedi Leo likes this

#45 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:57

The competition has been cancelled. We haven't locked this thread yet, simply because we want people to be able to keep discussing, but we might do so if the conversations derail. Our apologies for this — we didn't really anticipate such a huge amount of negative feedback, and we don't have the resources to attempt to deal with it. So we're pulling the plug.

We will respond to those of you who already submitted your tracks personally and individually.

(Also: BIG BOLD LETTERS!)

This is really disappointing to hear, my brother and I just spent the whole afternoon discussing this and planning out what he was going to do!

I sincerely hope that this is a situation that can somehow be rectified because as far as I can tell there is a very small number of people kicking up a fuss over this on the Kickstarter update while I have seen a few threads of people on the forums with no issues whatsoever.

Perhaps there has been a lot of emails thrown at Red Thread (I really hope the mob on the kickstarter update did not do this) but regardless I sincerely hope it isn't because of a vocal few that we are no longer able to participate in the same way that the visual artists were.

Ragnar, if you see this, would your team still be open to listening tracks produced? I mean independent of a competition because we really had our heart set on contributing in some capacity. : ( 

#46 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:59

Perhaps the focus should have been more on FAN competition? Then it would look a lot less like exploiting the poor, huddled masses of downtrodden artists. Easy to be wise after the fact, however...

#47 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7368 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:02

I said it once today I will say it again:

I just wish that I can have one day, just one day I don't as for much, where I go online and something DOSN'T piss me off.... :urgh:

Really people will act like a dick over anything these days. It was a contest FFS...... :rolleyes:

• popcorngal, khh, mayor_meathammer and 3 others like this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#48 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:05

Well, this is just GREAT. I hope the haters are happy now. They should be; apparently making life miserable for others is their main source of joy.

Back to the Hard Disk of Oblivion with my songs, then. Yippee.

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#49 Elerond

Elerond

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:06

Oh come on that is a bunch of BS if RTG is being accused of that  RTG is basicly given these "starving" musicians free publicity a lot more people will be exposed to their music how is this a bad thing ??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE !!!!

Many artists feel that free publicity isn't any real reward for doing work that someone else can monetize, and even though idea behind this competition wasn't such (getting free work by offering chance to get some publicity for you and your art/music/etc.) it seems that quite lot of people have taken it such, which has made them to backslash against it.  

#50 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:06

For once, I'm happy I'm so pressed for time. I hadn't had time to start my song(s?) other places than in my head...

#51 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:07

Many artists feel that free publicity isn't any real reward for doing work that someone else can monetize, and even though idea behind this competition wasn't such it seems that quite lot of people have taken it such, which has made them to backslash against it.  

Who was forcing them to take part, I wonder? Oh, no one, you say? How interesting...

• Jedi Leo and Whispers of Winter like this

#52 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:17

Many artists feel that free publicity isn't any real reward for doing work that someone else can monetize, and even though idea behind this competition wasn't such it seems that quite lot of people have taken it such, which has made them to backslash against it.  

The thing that is sad here is this was not a job offer with an incentive of free publicity instead of money. This wasn't an internship or anything remotely like that. It was a competition and the prize was getting your music into a video game and a thanks in the credits.

There wasn't this kind of backlash against the artwork competition which seemed to go off without any issues. This was something that many of the fans and backers had requested specifically so they could use their skill set and Red Thread produced an equivalent competition to meet that request. RTG were going to allow the winning artist to be credited for their entry into a competition and were not going to claim the ownership rights of the piece either. 

There is being principled and wanting creative professions to be treated fairly, and then there is completely ignoring the spirit of what had been announced here. This track was not going to be sold on or profited on, it was going to be some background diegetic music that fans had asked for the opportunity to place there with no expectation of monetary compensation. 

Unfortunately those with an axe to grind have used this situation as a soap box and I at least felt that was very inappropriate. It as removed the opportunity now and it was something that many were perfectly happy and excited about contributing to. 

• Jedi Leo, popcorngal, Dmm and 1 other like this

#53 CmputrBlu

CmputrBlu

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:19

Who was forcing them to take part, I wonder? Oh, no one, you say? How interesting...

Exactly! I'm sure there were more than enough people who would have been just happy to be part of the release of the game. You don't want to play then just get out of the way. Why mess it up for everyone else?

• Whispers of Winter likes this

"A dream within a dream - I'm impressed."

#54 Elerond

Elerond

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:21

As I said idea behind the competition had nothing to do with getting free work, but still it seems that some people take it as such.

#55 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:23

Wait...what ?? How ? Ok I'm really really angry now (not really at RTG, but I will come back when I cooled down.

#56 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:27

Re. competition controversy –

What struck me as particularly odd in the contest yesterday was that no actual 'prizes' were announced for the winners. I mean, that's what a contest is about, isn't it? And whatever the prizes may have been, they would have been more of a personal thank you from RTG, more Dreamfall Chapters fan paraphernalia than anything else. 

Instead, what the contest rules mainly consisted of were (rather necessary!!) legal terms for the protection of the company.

The combination of both, I think, has generated this backlash and a "all the work for the artists, nothing to gain, signing everything off" impression.

Of course, nothing could be further from the truth.

As Giorgos Chrysikopoulos has mentioned in the KS comments, there wasn't actually THAT much to win for RTG here by using fan created music. On the contrary, the risks concerning naive contestants who hand in a "remix" of someone else's work are considerable. It's just very unfortunate that it went down this way, because this kind and this level of community involvement is_just_so_very_special in the RTG community.

It's a rather simple misunderstanding on the side of some people who are not involved with the community. :(

I hope the music contest can come back in some form, and of course I hope that the art contest isn't endangered by these sad proceedings. :sotb:
  • popcorngal, Silvirish4ever, Dmm and 2 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#57 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:01

So if I understand correcly the hate comes from "not having prizes". Seriously , your music actually wins and gets to play in your favorite game is not enough ? are people that much collectively greedy and intoxicated nowadays ? That you get free promotion on the credits and on social media is not enough ?

Seriously ? Are these really music and tlj fans ? It shows that these people who hate don't know what making music is all about, otherwise they would know that free promotiion is crucial and is a huge prize on it's own for a beginning or unknown musician.

It's a competition and not an exclusive contract to make an entire score, like Simon Poole or Leon Willet did. This is a way to get free promotion. Do you get to be payed for your free promotion ? If anything, YOU have to pay THEM, RTG doesn't have to put your stuff in game but they ask for inworld music and ask for cooperation of the community, and the community acts like a spoilt 6 year old who's asked to do the dishes, NO WAY that this can be real, i'm fucking dissapointed!

And OFCOURSE you're signing a non exclusive contract for these songs that you submit, otherwise you could just sue that company afterwards claiming they never got the right to use your song.

@Vainamoinen I'm not really angry at YOU, but you just summarize the hate that I don't even want to read or else I'll have to take blood pressure pills, but I'm just giving a response to that.

#58 Abel

Abel

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:06

This is a shame. While I can understand that professional work needs to be paid it was perfectly clear that this is a fan contest and everybody knows that there won't be a payment before. So you either accept that and want to participate or you just decline. Where is the problem in this? I'm sure there are some fans out there who would have gladly put some work into this, just to work on something they love.

#59 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:08

Re. competition controversy –

What struck me as particularly odd in the contest yesterday was that no actual 'prizes' were announced for the winners. I mean, that's what a contest is about, isn't it? And whatever the prizes may have been, they would have been more of a personal thank you from RTG, more Dreamfall Chapters fan paraphernalia than anything else. 

We felt any prize that we may have offered — beyond contributing to the game and getting recognition from peers — would be against the spirit of the competition. It wasn't about winning: it was about putting your mark on the world, becoming a permanent part of the universe. Yeah, we could have made that clearer, and no, it would probably not have made any sort of difference in the end. But it was something we thought about a lot and, right or wrong, it was a conscious decision.

I like to draw parallels to the fan art competition a year or so ago: similar situation, similar 'rewards' (or lack of)…and no complaints. Which is why we thought, hey, this is a great idea!

Yeah, no.

While I do understand some of the reactions, it's also a bit depressing, because we will not be doing anything like this in the future, ever. We had plans for a writing competition, giving fans a chance to get their own Arcadian stories (and perhaps Starkian (Starkish?) fan fiction) into the game, but I can say with absolute certainty that we will NOT be doing that — or any sort of community competition where 'winners' will see their contributions in the game.

Maybe we can do a non-competition at some point where we highlight submissions, offer no rewards and don't put anything into any of our games? I don't know, suggestions are, of course, welcome. It'll be a while before we try anything of the sort, though. We don't want any controversies to get in the way of us just releasing the game and having people talk about that. For the moment, therefore, all cans with wiggly worms in them will be stowed to the back of a large and dusty cabinet.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

• popcorngal, khh, trentjaspar and 2 others like this

#60 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:17

And I suppose submitting pieces and telling you you're free to use them under the terms of the competition, even if the competition is no more, is out of the question? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users