#21 Adaptive Unconscious

Adaptive Unconscious

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:52

Hello everyone! I posted a while back a couple mixes for a song I wrote specifically for this game, I'm super excited to enter it! I have since changed my name from "Prophet Six" to "Echo Lost Stasis" 

here is my song (both versions)

https://soundcloud.c...is/sets/ecdysis

I'm very hopeful, and would be honored to be featured in the game, it's one of my most memorable gaming experiences, thank you for the opportunity! 

• agirlnamedbob and Lee-m like this

#22 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:59

Hello everyone! Just registered exclusively for this (used to be Blade Runner in the old forum but NEVER posted anything)

Well, I wanted to say I'm REALLY excited about this and wish every participant good luck!

Already started composing as soon as I read the announcement too XD

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#23 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:15

Man. RTG seems to be kicking up one accidental shit storm after another. 

That said, I wish I had some musical talent. I would totally submit. I can sing somewhat decently, but I can't do ANYTHING else. 

Though, you know. If anyone needs some (only passable) vocals for their submission... ;) (Kidding, kidding...)

I know!  I'm totally in the same boat...except minus the decent singing voice. :)

But...you're a writer, and songs with vocals are fair game.  I kinda like the idea of a forum project to generate a community song or two.  If one or more of us came up with some lyrics, would any of the more musically-inclined folks here be willing to set them to music?

• agirlnamedbob and mrKnask like this

#24 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:56

I kinda like the idea of a forum project to generate a community song or two.  If one or more of us came up with some lyrics, would any of the more musically-inclined folks here be willing to set them to music?

I like this idea as well, I play guitar but I'm not that good at making whole songs :blush:

A forum project would've been great :D

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#25 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:35

I don't get this backlash. The TLJ community asked for this competition...
  • wandrew, skadet, WorldsReunited and 3 others like this

#26 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:10

I don't get this backlash. The TLJ community asked for this competition...

I don't fully understand the mentality either - although I would say it is a different sector of the community complaining than those who requested this competition. 

Personally I am very excited. Even though it is my brother who will be entering rather than I, we are both big fans and relish the chance to contribute. 

I asked my brothers opinion on this, I am ever the scientist in my family and so I wanted his opinion on the matter as someone who wants to compose and do sound design professionally in future. He shared my thoughts and we certainly do agree that this is not an attempt by Red Thread to gouge creative people and cheat them into working for free. Rather it is a way to involve the community in the creative process and allow the community to insert a bit of itself into the project (which really is in the spirit of the crowd funding model, much the same as the hair style poll and other community engagement that Red Thread have done). My brother also thought it would be an amazing opportunity outside of his desire to contribute. If one were to look at entirely selfish reasons for doing this, he said that if picked, it is an achievement which would make him more valuable as a potential employee or contractor in future. 

It is the same if a person volunteered in conservation efforts and wished to work in conservation in future, or someone volunteering in healthcare settings during their efforts to qualify as a health professional, it is experience pure and simple as well as getting involved with a community.

In addition a creative person, whether amateur or professional does not always have to charge for 100% of their work if they see the value in providing some of their talent for other reasons. Obviously one has to be careful (in any profession) to not be taken advantage of but that is not at all what is happening here. I think it is sad that people have taken it that way but I don't see it being an issue going forward, just a storm in a teacup (within the confines of the kickstarter comments).

Anyway that is our two cents. We both wish to express our excitement for the competition and look forward to seeing how it progresses : ) 

#27 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:25

Man. RTG seems to be kicking up one accidental shit storm after another. 

Spoiler for sadness:

Spoiler

But hey, YAY MUSIC CONTEST! *much happiness*

• skadet, Edreamer Jamil, popcorngal and 3 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#28 Secret Piano

Secret Piano

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:43

Hello Red Thread Staff!

I am so excited to contribute some possible tracks! I do have a question if you wouldn't mind!

Are links to SoundCloud tracks alright? Individual links right to the song?

I was also going to just create a folder in DropBox full of all the music I wanted to submit (so they can be high quality), is that alright? Or does it have to be a bunch of individual folders for each of the individual songs? As long as they are all listed and accounted for in the email, is it alright to link you to a folder with several songs?

Soooo excited about this and I want to make sure I don't mess up the entry.  :)

#29 Nines

Nines

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:12

I'll have to ask what kind of music should be made for Marcuria? Obviously there are no "radio speakers, bars and clubs".

Negative Kickstarter comments make me sad :(

I've shared this thing with my real life friends (or, Facebook friends, at least), and I'm hoping someone I know will try to make something, since I can't make any music myself.

I think you worry too much. Most likely it will be the same situation as with the Secret World music contest. Lots of professional musicians will send their works.

Problem is though, 95% of those works were recorded long before the contest. They just fit. And this really isn't a competition.

Also, I must say that 2 weeks is a VERY short period of time to actually produce something new, original and capable to compete with those works.

#30 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:15

They say they require a download link, so if you host on Soundcloud make sure you tick the option that allows a download and not just listening.

#31 Secret Piano

Secret Piano

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:34

I'll have to ask what kind of music should be made for Marcuria? Obviously there are no "radio speakers, bars and clubs".

I think you worry too much. Most likely it will be the same situation as with the Secret World music contest. Lots of professional musicians will send their works.

Problem is though, 95% of those works were recorded long before the contest. They just fit. And this really isn't a competition.

Also, I must say that 2 weeks is a VERY short period of time to actually produce something new, original and capable to compete with those works.

I don't believe there was anything in the rules stating it had to be created within the timeframe, no? 

#32 Secret Piano

Secret Piano

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:35

They say they require a download link, so if you host on Soundcloud make sure you tick the option that allows a download and not just listening.

Thanks Happy Tree. I found out a way to link to individual drop box files, so me-thinks I'll do it that way. :-)

#33 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4544 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:52

I'm just so super happy that the shitstorm hasn't showed its face in here yet. I was wondering if I had the balls to click the link to this thread or not, and then I did, and then it's all happy and cuddly and fluffy in here! :sohappy:

I wish I could contribute to the contest in some way, but my musical skills end at being good at SingStar while sounding like a failsnail xD And also I kinda played the piano when I was 10, but I mostly knew Christmas songs. Probably not what they're looking for :'D

If you want a place to share your musical talent that's not related to the contest, check out mrKnask's thread here!

This community is so talented in every way. I'm considering getting a talent, too. I can .. cross stitch, at least.. xD

Good luck to everyone who is participating! :sohappy:

• popcorngal, trentjaspar and Consili like this

My Twitter & Instagram & Twitch ... for your viewing pleasure.

#34 Clairobscur

Clairobscur

Arcadia Native

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationKyrandia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:06

I have two questions:

1) It says in the rules: "Red Thread Games will have the right to use your music in perpetuity for Dreamfall Chapters". Does that mean the winning tracks can be used out of the game but within the context of DC (ie: promoting the game, trailer, etc.)?

2) Also: will the winning tracks be included in the soundtrack release? (I suppose not.)

I would also like to have more details regarding the music expected for Marcuria.

Thank you.

#35 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:31

The competition has been cancelled. We haven't locked this thread yet, simply because we want people to be able to keep discussing, but we might do so if the conversations derail. Our apologies for this — we didn't really anticipate such a huge amount of negative feedback, and we don't have the resources to attempt to deal with it. So we're pulling the plug.

We will respond to those of you who already submitted your tracks personally and individually.

(Also: BIG BOLD LETTERS!)

• TalkingOak and Veen Friend like this

#36 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:34

The competition has been cancelled. We haven't locked this thread yet, simply because we want people to be able to keep discussing, but we might do so if the conversations derail. Our apologies for this — we didn't really anticipate such a huge amount of negative feedback, and we don't have the resources to attempt to deal with it. So we're pulling the plug.

We will respond to those of you who already submitted your tracks personally and individually.

(Also: BIG BOLD LETTERS!)

Ragnar (and RTG),

I'm really hoping you guys will reconsider canceling the entire competition only after a day or so of revealing the rules. This competition was actually spoken about a year ago. I've had my friend working on music for this throughout the year or so. To say the least, I'm very bummed out right now. I wish you guys would have at least let this ride out for longer to gauge the reaction before canceling this completely.

#37 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:41

So sick and tired of all the haters out there :urgh:  :angry:

I totally understand why RTG pulled the plug but it's still really sad.

This is why we can't have nice things :(

• popcorngal, toremygg, Dmm and 2 others like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#38 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:45

Wait i'm sorry what was the backlash even about ??? 

#39 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:46

Wait i'm sorry what was the backlash even about ??? 

Apparently, RTG were trying to take advantage of poor, starving musicians or something. :uncrow:

• trentjaspar likes this

#40 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:46

:(

I HATE THE ANGRY INTERNET MOB.
  • TalkingOak, popcorngal, khh and 6 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic