UPDATE: The competition has been cancelled. We will provide more information soon. For now, we're grateful for the engagement and to those who already sent us music — we will respond to those people personally and individually.
Today, we're an announcing a unique opportunity to make an immutable melodious mark on The Longest Journey saga. In other words:
It’s time for the Dreamfall Chapters musical competition!
We’re inviting our community to create original music for Dreamfall Chapters. All contributions may make their way into the game, to be used for diegetic music — music originating from within the game world; e.g. radio speakers, bars and clubs, street performers and musicians.
Music can be in any genre and style, and use any instruments, although the more suitable the music is for our universe, the greater your chance of being selected as a winner.
Submit your own music to be evaluated by our musical director and development team, and compete for a chance to become a permanent part of the city life of Europolis or Marcuria!
- The contest will run from Wednesday, August 27th until 23:59 CET September 12th, 2014. Your contribution(s) must be submitted within this timeframe. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Every contribution must be of your own creation or be submitted with the explicit written consent of its creator(s). You may be required to document your ownership and copyright of the music.
- If your music ends up on our shortlist, you will be asked to sign a binding, non-exclusive agreement with Red Thread Games for the use of your music. You will retain all copyrights, but Red Thread Games will have the right to use your music in perpetuity for Dreamfall Chapters.
- Winners and runners up will be announced no later than September 19th, 2014.
- Winners will be credited in the game's end credits and will receive a thank-you note from the team, along with mentions in Red Thread's social media channels and in a future Kickstarter update.
- Selected tracks may be used over the course of all five episodes of the game. Winners will be notified when and where their music will be used before the relevant episode is released.
- Contestants are responsible for owning all the rights to their creations, including the use of licensed instruments and audio libraries, additional musicians and/or vocal artists. Red Thread Games cannot verify the legality of your tracks, and will not assume responsibility for any potential copyright issues that may occur if artists have failed to secure the appropriate rights.
How to submit a track
Upload your music (WAV, MP3, MP4 or AAC format; the higher the quality, the better) to a file sharing service. We recommend using Dropbox for stability and speed. You may upload as many tracks as you want. Each track will count as a separate competition entry.
Do NOT attach audio files or any other documents to your email. These will be discarded.
Send a single email with a direct link to each submitted file to
COMPETITION CANCELLED, STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFORMATION SOON
with the subject line
Dreamfall Chapters musical competition
Include the following information in your email:
- Name and length of track(s) submitted.
- Your full name and address, and preferred contact information (email address). If you are not the composer of the music, include the full name, address and contact information (including email) of the composer(s). If the composer is under the age of 18, please include the full name and address of the composer’s legal guardians.
- Any relevant legal information, including instrument and sound libraries used, along with the names of any additional composers, musicians and/or vocal artists involved with your track.
- If any of this information is in a separate document, please upload said document(s) to a file sharing service (e.g. Dropbox) and include the link in your email.
- Do NOT attach any files to your email! Attached files will be discarded. Only download links are accepted.
Best of luck!