288 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 21:53

UPDATE: The competition has been cancelled. We will provide more information soon. For now, we're grateful for the engagement and to those who already sent us music — we will respond to those people personally and individually.

Hi there!

Today, we're an announcing a unique opportunity to make an immutable melodious mark on The Longest Journey saga. In other words:

It’s time for the Dreamfall Chapters musical competition!

We’re inviting our community to create original music for Dreamfall Chapters. All contributions may make their way into the game, to be used for diegetic music — music originating from within the game world; e.g. radio speakers, bars and clubs, street performers and musicians.

Music can be in any genre and style, and use any instruments, although the more suitable the music is for our universe, the greater your chance of being selected as a winner.

Submit your own music to be evaluated by our musical director and development team, and compete for a chance to become a permanent part of the city life of Europolis or Marcuria!

Competition rules

• The contest will run from Wednesday, August 27th until 23:59 CET September 12th, 2014. Your contribution(s) must be submitted within this timeframe. Late submissions will not be accepted.
  • Every contribution must be of your own creation or be submitted with the explicit written consent of its creator(s). You may be required to document your ownership and copyright of the music.
  • If your music ends up on our shortlist, you will be asked to sign a binding, non-exclusive agreement with Red Thread Games for the use of your music. You will retain all copyrights, but Red Thread Games will have the right to use your music in perpetuity for Dreamfall Chapters.
  • Winners and runners up will be announced no later than September 19th, 2014.
  • Winners will be credited in the game's end credits and will receive a thank-you note from the team, along with mentions in Red Thread's social media channels and in a future Kickstarter update.
  • Selected tracks may be used over the course of all five episodes of the game. Winners will be notified when and where their music will be used before the relevant episode is released.
  • Contestants are responsible for owning all the rights to their creations, including the use of licensed instruments and audio libraries, additional musicians and/or vocal artists. Red Thread Games cannot verify the legality of your tracks, and will not assume responsibility for any potential copyright issues that may occur if artists have failed to secure the appropriate rights.

How to submit a track

Upload your music (WAV, MP3, MP4 or AAC format; the higher the quality, the better) to a file sharing service. We recommend using Dropbox for stability and speed. You may upload as many tracks as you want. Each track will count as a separate competition entry.

Do NOT attach audio files or any other documents to your email. These will be discarded.

Send a single email with a direct link to each submitted file to

COMPETITION CANCELLED, STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFORMATION SOON

with the subject line

Dreamfall Chapters musical competition

Include the following information in your email:

• Name and length of track(s) submitted.
  • Your full name and address, and preferred contact information (email address). If you are not the composer of the music, include the full name, address and contact information (including email) of the composer(s). If the composer is under the age of 18, please include the full name and address of the composer’s legal guardians.
  • Any relevant legal information, including instrument and sound libraries used, along with the names of any additional composers, musicians and/or vocal artists involved with your track.
  • If any of this information is in a separate document, please upload said document(s) to a file sharing service (e.g. Dropbox) and include the link in your email.
  • Do NOT attach any files to your email! Attached files will be discarded. Only download links are accepted.

Best of luck!

Team RTG

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar and 6 others like this

#2 TailTrap

TailTrap

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 22:20

This is such a great event! I'm without a doubt submitting a couple of my own tracks in a couple of days (finishing the mastering on one of them "as we speak"). So excited!  :D  .. Everyone: GOOD LUCK!  ;)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#3 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 26 August 2014 - 22:29

Yay, I'm on it. Guess we can't show it here also and all the music needs to be held "private" ?

#4 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 22:32

Yay, I'm on it. Guess we can't show it here also and all the music needs to be held "private" ?

It's your music and you can do anything you want with it :)

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#5 bennisines

bennisines

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 22:47

Awesome. So the song doesn't HAVE to have been made during these weeks. Don't worry, won't flood the inbox! But that means I could pick the most fitting song I've made already to submit.

#6 bennisines

bennisines

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 22:49

We really should setup a soundcloud or something where the submissions could easily be showcased and heard by the community. Or do we want to keep the mystery until results day :)

#7 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 26 August 2014 - 22:58

Yay! I'm also planning on submitting some tunes. So exciting!!!

The fact that they would be for diegetic music suits me perfectly. Cannot think of a better use for them :D

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#8 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 23:05

I'll get together my submission as soon as possible. Awesome. I'm guessing we can submit as many as we'd like then?

And my friend is the one whos music I will be submitting. But I will give his information and such. He will give consent as well.

#9 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 23:17

I think I know what I'm going to submit...

#10 Alessandro Saini Composer

Alessandro Saini Composer

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 23:21

Can we submit music that also represents the Arcadia world? Or is it specifically geared towards Europolis?

#11 Wyndo

Wyndo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 August 2014 - 23:27

I got the Kickstarter email on this. Is it open to just Kickstarter backers, or could I share the news with others (ex: on my podcast, Videogame Generations)? Thanks.

#12 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 23:40

Negative Kickstarter comments make me sad :(

I've shared this thing with my real life friends (or, Facebook friends, at least), and I'm hoping someone I know will try to make something, since I can't make any music myself. Unless I borrow the "African drum" and try to drum up some possible "Arcadian street performer" music myself, that is. (hey, not all street performers are pro!) :D

• skadet, WorldsReunited, toremygg and 3 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#13 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 August 2014 - 00:09

Unless I borrow the "African drum" and try to drum up some...

<shakes head> Another victim of Amathin.

• wandrew, Tina, skadet and 7 others like this

#14 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 August 2014 - 00:14

Negative Kickstarter comments make me sad :(

I've shared this thing with my real life friends (or, Facebook friends, at least), and I'm hoping someone I know will try to make something, since I can't make any music myself. Unless I borrow the "African drum" and try to drum up some possible "Arcadian street performer" music myself, that is. (hey, not all street performers are pro!) :D

Don't look at the Twitter then, it's even worse.

Between this honestly-out-of-nowhere backlash (and a particularly "odious" post in the previous Kickstarter Update) I'm left shaking my head wondering when did the world finally lost all sense and how did I fail to notice it. But enough with the negativity ...

<shakes head> Another victim of Amathin.

Good point. They'll need some atrocious musical pieces as well, for realism's sake! Time to get to work!  ;)

• Tina and WorldsReunited like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#15 maDSaint

maDSaint

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 00:33

Already started composing ever since I read the announcement. But.... Would'nt it have been wiser to limit the number of songs one can submit to 2 or 3? Not that I mind, I have a lot of songs I want to share, but that alone would take 30 mins to listen to, and that's just my selection of songs. I love the initiative, but I just say this to save you some time, and force the participanticipitants (?) to be more selective in the songs to send in. (Consider this my vaguest post ever, but my English is truly letting me down tonight)

#16 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 00:41

Man. RTG seems to be kicking up one accidental shit storm after another. 

That said, I wish I had some musical talent. I would totally submit. I can sing somewhat decently, but I can't do ANYTHING else. 

Though, you know. If anyone needs some (only passable) vocals for their submission... ;) (Kidding, kidding...)

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#17 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 00:47

Already started composing ever since I read the announcement. But.... Would'nt it have been wiser to limit the number of songs one can submit to 2 or 3? Not that I mind, I have a lot of songs I want to share, but that alone would take 30 mins to listen to, and that's just my selection of songs. I love the initiative, but I just say this to save you some time, and force the participanticipitants (?) to be more selective in the songs to send in. (Consider this my vaguest post ever, but my English is truly letting me down tonight)

I was wondering this as well, but yeah don't get me wrong either. The more I can submit, the better in my eyes. I just may be submitting a good bit... :D

---

I'm not sure where the backlash lies with this whole contest. Anyone that isn't feeling it, they don't have to submit. I see these people speaking about professional musicians as well. I consider my friend to be a professional musician and he isn't thinking twice about submitting stuff. We're fans of TLJ\Dreamfall and would definitely like to make a small mark on the game. I can see if DFC didn't have a main composer already and they were asking people to produce songs for the game for free. That would be kind of weird. But this is specifically for background stuff. Stuff on radios. Small things when you enter a club or a store. A small touch to the game and to be able to say we have a song in the game would still be amazing to me.

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 00:51

The backlash comes because the whole "getting paid for your work" deal is a really hot button issue in the creative community right now. Especially in the music community. There's a lot of (rightful, IMHO) anger about artists getting "paid in experience" or "exposure" or whatever. And then there are people on the other side of the fence who feel that newbs should have the right to shop their stuff for free, etc, etc. It's a whole big dialogue (or, frankly shouting match in many cases) that's been simmering and boiling over for a while now. 

I'd say this is fundamentally different for a lot of reasons, but that's my opinion. Like with all other things that people take a moral or ethical stance on, some people have very strong opinions and have drawn very clear lines in the sand. 

• Consili likes this

#19 maDSaint

maDSaint

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:14

I love composing and writing songs. I sometimes write and compose and get paid for it. If I, in my spare time, want to compose a song for anything I want to, who is someone else to tell me that is wrong??? I totally don't get this controversy, nobody is forced to do anything, and among musicians I only notice enthousiasm. Sounds like people are mixing up big *ss game studio's with small indie developers with a tight fan base, that wants to participate in the ideology of that studio, and participate in any way they can. For some it's not all about money, but about magic, a forgotten form of art and friendship.

• trentjaspar and mrKnask like this

#20 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:49

I love composing and writing songs. I sometimes write and compose and get paid for it. If I, in my spare time, want to compose a song for anything I want to, who is someone else to tell me that is wrong??? I totally don't get this controversy, nobody is forced to do anything, and among musicians I only notice enthousiasm. Sounds like people are mixing up big *ss game studio's with small indie developers with a tight fan base, that wants to participate in the ideology of that studio, and participate in any way they can. For some it's not all about money, but about magic, a forgotten form of art and friendship.

I'd more say people are dragging this contest into a larger conversation about the treatment of professional musicians and other creatives. Though as it's a fan contest, I really feel it has no place in that conversation. 

A lot of people are just very bitter because they've been burned or they can't find work because everyone wants creatives to do something for nothing. And I get that. Oh boy do I get that. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for friendship and good will in the greater creative community, but smiles and thank yous don't pay my bills. That said, if I want to do something pro bono or if I want to submit something to a contest and I fully agree to those terms, that's my own business as far as I'm concerned. 

Like I said. Some people have had very bad experiences and are very bitter. And, you know, some people just look for any excuse for an argument. 

Though I think I've said my piece on the subject between here and the KS page. 

I, for one, am stoked for this. Even though I can't participate. 

(So there's been a fan art and a fan music contest... ...fan fiction contest next?)

• Consili likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users