Photo

Kickstarter update #54

kickstarter update PS4 playstation console gamescom german german release announcement music competition august

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:48

In a 3rd person game you're mostly looking at their behind anyway. So I expect good work to be done there :P

• wandrew and Christoffer Sunrider Grav like this

#42 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:27

I think it looks very promising, looking so much forwards to the game.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#43 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:34

It's impossible to please everyone. Especially when it comes to redesigning old, and beloved characters. It's quite the challenge. People aren't always fond of change, but remember that we are fans of the characters too, and that it actually is a labour of love. Zoë is very important to us. We've tried our best to keep the essence of her character, and at the same time design her for the new age, and her new life in Europolis. 

She has the same look and angle on all the screens so it's hard for you to see the full model. Hopefully we can show a bit more soon. The hair is the major change (even if it is just a looser version of her original ponytail look) But there are also minor changes to her face. Christer and I went over the model a final time to do some minor tweaks. Just very small things to optimize. She has less heavy make up under her eyes,  more color in her lips, less 'angry' brows, and we did a bit more work on her profile. All just minor tweaks to give her a more "open", and "fresh" look. 

Not everyone is going to like it, for different reasons. At least not initially. I do hope they will warm up to it when they get to experience the game. 

I got it and I understand that Zoë can´t look the same as she did in Dreamfall  ;)

It´s just that everytime I see new screenshots of her, for some reason she always look different than before...and you say that you and Christer made just slight changes...than it is because of screenshots? Ok, I hope so then and will wait for another update...a little bit nervous, though  :rolleyes:

I really don´t wanna make anyone upset, you´re doing great work, guys - there´s no doubt...without you there won´t be Zoë at all...

I just wanted to say that Zoë is the most important character for me in this game and if I don´t like her, I couldn´t enjoy the whole game...

Well, my problem, I know...I hope you don´t feel disappointed, that was not my purpose  :unsure:  

• Veen Friend likes this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#44 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:38

In a 3rd person game you're mostly looking at their behind anyway. So I expect good work to be done there :P

Well, that is not strict true  :P when I played Dreamfall, I stopped many times in some location to see Zoë and other characters from every side, and mostly from the front side, of course  ;)

That also helped me more to go deep and feel the heart of the story  ;) and I will be doing the same in Dreamfall Chapters  :rolleyes:

• Veen Friend likes this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#45 NeilClaimer

NeilClaimer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 25 August 2014 - 00:16

Attached File  2014-08-25-010059.jpg   115.78KB   9 downloads

Yup, Zoë, I'd love to see how ridiculously beautiful you and the rest of the game are going to look on my Vita, too.

Spoiler

I was born to hold a DualShock · Scrobbling gives me life

I seem to keep waiting for Reza to ask me to pick up a package for him or something

#46 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:05

Would the game work well in 4K with a PC of "recommended settings"? Just that I've had my 40" TV for 4 years and am thinking of getting a 4K one of around 60" and retiring the one I have now to the drawing room. If it's possible for us mere mortals to play the game in 4K then I'd like to see if it's financially feasible.

In for a penny, in for several pounds, eh? ;)

You will (unfortunately) need quite a bit more processing power than that, particularly when it comes to the GPU. Think most recent NVIDIA cards. 4K is a beast: it's FOUR times standard (1920x1080) HD. That's a lot of pixels to push around.

I'm running it on our test PC, which has an i5 CPU clocked to 3.10GHz, 8GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 660 with 2GB of dedicated VRAM: in other words, a pretty darn good setup.

In some locations — Europolis, for example — I'm hovering between 12-18fps. Playable, but not ideal. Running in standard HD (1920x1080) I'm easily getting four times that. So, yeah, 4K is definitely reserved for those who have the latest & greatest hardware at hand.

#47 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:07

Given the recent 4k Screenshots I would say its already a good possibility it will at launch. Obviously thats a guess, maybe you'll get an official answer soon :)

Yes, it will release with 4K support…as long as you have a 4K monitor, of course! :)

• Lee-m and Veen Friend like this

#48 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:10

attachicon.gif2014-08-25-010059.jpg

Yup, Zoë, I'd love to see how ridiculously beautiful you and the rest of the game are going to look on my Vita, too.

We hope to support remote play to the Vita via the PlayStation 4. Not sure how much work it entails on our end, but I'm super excited about the possibility myself!

• NeilClaimer likes this

#49 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3563 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:11

Out of curiosity, Ragnar: when buying a new GPU/PC, should we focus on VRAM or GPU speed? (I know, the answer is "both"...)

#50 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:36

Out of curiosity, Ragnar: when buying a new GPU/PC, should we focus on VRAM or GPU speed? (I know, the answer is "both"...)

Um…

…both? :D

Honestly, I don't know — it's a decade since I stopped building my own PCs and being informed about hardware specs — but I would make sure to have at least 2GB of VRAM, in order to be able to use the highest resolution textures. Any modern NVIDIA card will do the job: you do not need the most expensive cards, that will be a complete waste for this game (unless you're aiming for 4K). Go with a recent mid-range or budget card, and just make sure you also have enough system RAM. We are making a 64-bit client, so 8GB wouldn't go amiss.

• toremygg and blaster like this

#51 Mime Paradox

Mime Paradox

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:53

Just to be clear, is Zoë's hair for these new screenshots supposed to be design #3 (ponytail, highest number of votes, at least here) design #16 (bun, second highest number of votes) or some compromise between the two?  Zoë's positioning in the screenshots makes it somewhat hard to determine.  Either way, though, she looks great. 

#52 Christoffer Sunrider Grav

Christoffer Sunrider Grav

RTG Art Director

• RTG Staff
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:07

Just to be clear, is Zoë's hair for these new screenshots supposed to be design #3 (ponytail, highest number of votes, at least here) design #16 (bun, second highest number of votes) or some compromise between the two?  Zoë's positioning in the screenshots makes it somewhat hard to determine.  Either way, though, she looks great. 

Yes, you are correct. The new hair is a combination of the two most popular looks. It seems a lot of people favoured the more loose hairstyles.. This is the ponytail look, but you might see Zoë with a bun yet. ;)

• Mime Paradox likes this

#53 Mime Paradox

Mime Paradox

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:13

Yes, you are correct. The new hair is a combination of the two most popular looks. It seems a lot of people favoured the more loose hairstyles.. This is the ponytail look, but you might see Zoë with a bun yet. ;)

Oh!  Coolness.  Thank you!

#54 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38

Yes, it will release with 4K support…as long as you have a 4K monitor, of course! :)

Excellent, thanks! We'll reserve that res for the re-play in a few years...to remind us of the story just before The Longest Journey Home's release! ;)

#55 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:56

... Even her face is different, but it can be caused by that hair cut... I know I´m selfish right now... but guys, don´t you like Zoë that Christer Sveen modified months ago? Just look at her and think about it  ;)

Her face is very nearly the same as what Christer Sveen came up with. I surely love that too.  :wub:  You are not selfish. But the hair makes the big difference. :D Lots of personality goes into hair/comes from, and even from clothes. What you think you see is another person/charisma, but it's only a new hair-cut-style. And this gives the character a completely new style and personality. It can be really hard to see surely.  :mellow:

What we are talking about, I think, is the new hair style combined with the new outfit. And that's both more elegant and futuristic and fits the city of Europolis perfectly, I think. A perfect match to the city. :wub: What we see later in the story could be a return to a more natural looking Zoé, as seen in this picture above, and what we actually saw in Story Time just before Europolis... :) You have to dress cool with charisma when you go out for a drink in the city!  B) Bring your hat on!

Thanks for the thought! I have thought about the same, and checked it out. You are right about something!

And thanks to MrGrav for a very complete answer too. Your work on Zoé is absolutely stunning..

#56 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 13:10

Just to quickly add my view on that, including what Ragnar as said above and what we know of the specs thus far. The game seems more CPU bound than it does GPU bound (if you are not playing higher than 1080p, then you start needing more vram).

GeForce GTX 660 with 2GB of dedicated VRAM: in other words, a pretty darn good setup.

I'll admit thats abit less than I thought it would require. Which is really a good thing.

In some locations — Europolis, for example — I'm hovering between 12-18fps.

Maybe thats why I was thinking more of a gtx770. Also AA is a real killer in 4k.

Nice to know 4k will be supported. Now to eye up a 4k monitor :)
  • toremygg likes this

#57 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3563 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 13:55

Just to quickly add my view on that, including what Ragnar as said above and what we know of the specs thus far. The game seems more CPU bound than it does GPU bound (if you are not playing higher than 1080p, then you start needing more vram).

Planning on getting an i7 and at least a 660, so I should be in the clear. Nowhere near running it in 4k  ;)

• Lee-m likes this

#58 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 August 2014 - 16:09

Buying an i7 for gaming is still pointless. The cheaper i5 performs just as well in games, and likely always will. Putting more money into the GPU makes much more sense than paying extra for an i7.

#59 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 16:38

Buying an i7 for gaming is still pointless.

Who said it was just for gaming ;) ?

• toremygg likes this

#60 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 25 August 2014 - 16:51

ditto, I do a lot of file conversions plus I have World Community Grid installed. Add development tasks on top of that and an i7 does nicely thank you very much :)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, PS4, playstation, console, gamescom, german, german release, announcement, music, competition, august

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users