Photo

Kickstarter update #54

kickstarter update PS4 playstation console gamescom german german release announcement music competition august

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 honeymaker

honeymaker

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 23:50

Those new screenshots are amazing! Really looking forward to playing this on the big screen. Considering the insane amount of dialogue particularly, the game is probably experienced best while being slumped on the couch...

I'll be playing on Mac laptop - any suggestions (from RTG or others) for controllers? I tried mouse + keyboard with Dreamfall, didn't find it as much to my liking as a controller, which I used for my Xbox copy of DF.

It could change in the future with the new generation of consoles, but I'd say the XBOX 360 controller currently is the best supported gamepad out there. It works flawlessly on Mac with the Tattiebogle Driver. Not sure if Dreamfall: Chapters will support it, but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't.
  • Ringtail likes this

#22 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:00

It could change in the future with the new generation of consoles, but I'd say the XBOX 360 controller currently is the best supported gamepad out there. It works flawlessly on Mac with the Tattiebogle Driver. Not sure if Dreamfall: Chapters will support it, but I'd be surprised if it wouldn't.

Cool - thanks!

#23 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:58

I hope it will, because I just bought a 360 controller for the computer :D

I've never owned a controller before but I'm also not comfortable at all using WASD keys. I just don't have that control in my left fingers (normal arrow keys, however.. ). And after recently buying lots of games (new computer!) I suddenly found platform games and other games with more mechanics A LOT easier, and more fun, when I borrowed a gamepad. In a way, I've sort of discovered gaming again :D

So yeah, if Chapters supports the 360 controller, I'll absolutely try playing it with that controller instead of mouse and keyboard.
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#24 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:11

I hope it will, because I just bought a 360 controller for the computer :D

I've never owned a controller before but I'm also not comfortable at all using WASD keys. I just don't have that control in my left fingers (normal arrow keys, however.. ). And after recently buying lots of games (new computer!) I suddenly found platform games and other games with more mechanics A LOT easier, and more fun, when I borrowed a gamepad. In a way, I've sort of discovered gaming again :D

So yeah, if Chapters supports the 360 controller, I'll absolutely try playing it with that controller instead of mouse and keyboard.

The Xbox 360 controller is our recommended controller, both for PC and Mac. Not sure about Linux drivers, but if they exist, I'm sure it'll work.

The new Xbox One controller is great, but we haven't tested it yet. The same goes for the PS4 controller. We have tested the PS3 control pad with the PC version, and that, too, works well.

But yeah, the 360 control pad is probably your safest bet on both (all?) platforms.

• Tina likes this

#25 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:19

I'm planing to buy a controller for my PC since I really feel uncomfortable using WASD keys. Have not yet decided what controller, but am leaning towards the 360. 

Maybe Ragnar/RTG have some info about what controller standards they will suport in the game? I'm sure there are more people here that are thinking about buying a controller for this game (I might be the only one).

Edit: Ragnar beat me to it. He was too fast for me (again). Well thats what happen when a 80kg dog jumps up in your lap while typing a post. Things go very slow  :blink:

• Tina and NeilClaimer like this

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#26 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:47

I might need to pull out the PC adaptor for my Xbox gamepad.

#27 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:47

I would like to try my ps4 controller on the PC using that makeshift X360 driver that reads it, it worked well with ducktales remastered. But well, I could as well buy the game for ps4 as well so I can enjoy it from my sofa :)

#28 Consili

Consili

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:20

This update has got me all kinds of excited, the game is shaping up to be very pretty and the 4k images were great to pore over. Most of all however my brother and I are excited at the music completion announcement.

It is his eventual goal to do music for interactive media and he is currently studying to that end. We are both huge fans of Dreamfall and have been watching Dreamfall Chapters eagerly since the Kickstarter. That there is even a small possibility that he could put something into it has us both very excited.

#29 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 14:12

Would the game work well in 4K with a PC of "recommended settings"? Just that I've had my 40" TV for 4 years and am thinking of getting a 4K one of around 60" and retiring the one I have now to the drawing room. If it's possible for us mere mortals to play the game in 4K then I'd like to see if it's financially feasible.

In for a penny, in for several pounds, eh? ;)

#30 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 14:43

You'd probably need a beefier computer than the recommended one for good 4K. Especially the GPU.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#31 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 16:19

4K today will likely require a quite expensive gaming rig to work well. In a couple of years or so, even cheap laptops will probably do DFC in 4K.

#32 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 24 August 2014 - 16:20

you'ed be looking at a good sli configuration with about 4gb of vram per card. You might get away with a single card, I dont know how demanding the game is on max settings since we haven't played it yet ;) But lots of vram would be the main thing.

#33 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 16:26

Ok cheers. So it's a bit premature. So the next question is if the game will be released in a format that would be able to use that resolution in time, given that it's only a couple of years away from the realistic home market. The answer is probably yes but it would be nice to know for definite.

#34 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 24 August 2014 - 16:42

So the next question is if the game will be released in a format that would be able to use that resolution in time

Given the recent 4k Screenshots I would say its already a good possibility it will at launch. Obviously thats a guess, maybe you'll get an official answer soon :)

#35 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2014 - 18:39

Thanks much for the new upload, I was thinking that is the time to see some new stuff  :)

And good luck with music challange  ;) I look forward to listen to something from the fans  B)

Anyway, sorry for my whining again but I don´t like new Zoë model  :( I just got used to that hollywood popstar model and now she´s different again and I have to say much far away from the original one...I guess it´s too much to ask for hairstyle option in the game, right?

Even her face is different, but it can be caused by that hair cut... I know I´m selfish right now... but guys, don´t you like Zoë that Christer Sveen modified months ago? Just look at her and think about it  ;)

TTxcZtJ.jpg?1

• Veen Friend likes this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#36 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 19:04

Personally, I don't really see the issue, I guess. I feel like Zoe's current model looks great. I look at her and I see Zoe. So it's hard for me to understand how other people look at her and see some sort of doppelganger. Not to dismiss the argument, I understand that people have some really strong opinions on the topic. I just don't see it. I feel like her current model looks much closer to "old" Zoe than the original pre-alpha model, while still updating her look to take advantage the new technology the team has access to. 

As far as her hair... Personally, I think her hair looks good, but I'm a little disappointed to not see her rocking one of the "wilder" hair style options we were presented with. ;) We know that there will be a degree of customization allowed for her outfits and I believe there was some mild implication at one point that there may be more than one hairstyle in the game?

From the original FB post: 

Our graphic designer Christoffer Grav is currently working on ideas for the various hairstyles our heroine will sport during the course of the game.

That to me says that her hair may change. Whether that's something that happens on its own or if it's something that we can do through the character customization, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if we can tweak it a bit. Or if maybe backers of a certain tier can. Or however the heck all of that shakes out. Time will tell. 

• Chocobo_sage, khh and Christoffer Sunrider Grav like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#37 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2014 - 19:09

Hi Erika  :)

As far as I didn´t affect you, I hope I will affect some other fans  :D  

But I´m totally ok with your comment - we are different people and have different opinions :)

RTG team must have really heavy headaches thanks to us  :rolleyes:  :lol:

• Veen Friend likes this

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#38 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 24 August 2014 - 20:10

Yay! Very excited about the music competition!

#39 Miriamele

Miriamele

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 August 2014 - 20:35

Nice to have another update, so looking forward to be able to finally walk and be in Europolis and experience this modern city! It will be hard to wait  :unsure:. A friend and I agreed we'd start playing once a couple of episodes are released, like 2 or 3. But it's going to be harrrrrrrrd, arrr mateys. Anyone else planning to wait?

I'm happy with Zoë's look, had some doubts as well about the strands of hair next to her face (if they're not going to be too plastic/static) but as Ragnar said it's difficult to show movement in a screenshot  ;).

And I really like the idea of the music competition! Good luck to everyone who's going to participate!! I wouldn't do very well, although I'm slightly tempted to put my poor skills on the recorder into practice once again, hehe... :evilwonk: There's just got to be some annoying beggar-musician-type in Marcuria that would fit the part!  :P

#40 Christoffer Sunrider Grav

Christoffer Sunrider Grav

RTG Art Director

• RTG Staff
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:34

Anyway, sorry for my whining again but I don´t like new Zoë model  :( I just got used to that hollywood popstar model and now she´s different again and I have to say much far away from the original one...I guess it´s too much to ask for hairstyle option in the game, right?

Even her face is different, but it can be caused by that hair cut... I know I´m selfish right now... but guys, don´t you like Zoë that Christer Sveen modified months ago? Just look at her and think about it  ;)

It's impossible to please everyone. Especially when it comes to redesigning old, and beloved characters. It's quite the challenge. People aren't always fond of change, but remember that we are fans of the characters too, and that it actually is a labour of love. Zoë is very important to us. We've tried our best to keep the essence of her character, and at the same time design her for the new age, and her new life in Europolis. 

She has the same look and angle on all the screens so it's hard for you to see the full model. Hopefully we can show a bit more soon. The hair is the major change (even if it is just a looser version of her original ponytail look) But there are also minor changes to her face. Christer and I went over the model a final time to do some minor tweaks. Just very small things to optimize. She has less heavy make up under her eyes,  more color in her lips, less 'angry' brows, and we did a bit more work on her profile. All just minor tweaks to give her a more "open", and "fresh" look. 

Not everyone is going to like it, for different reasons. At least not initially. I do hope they will warm up to it when they get to experience the game. 

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, khh and 7 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, PS4, playstation, console, gamescom, german, german release, announcement, music, competition, august

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users