Photo

Kickstarter update #54

kickstarter update PS4 playstation console gamescom german german release announcement music competition august

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:29

(link to Kickstarter update)

August production update

Hi all,

We hope everyone’s had (and are still having) a fantastic summer!

It's late August, autumn is approaching, and that can only mean one thing:

Dreamfall Chapters Book One is near.

In this update, we're going to talk about a bunch of things…but in case you're in a rush,

here are a few bullets:

• Chapters is coming to PlayStation 4 first on console! This timed exclusive does not
    affect the Windows, Mac and Linux releases, and we may consider ports to other
    consoles in the future, but for the time being the PS4 is our platform of choice.
  • Dreamfall Chapters was at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany last week, and we
    announced a German localised version — available simultaneously with the English
    version this autumn — and demoed the game to press.
  • Speaking of Germany, the first episode of Dreamfall will get a German retail release,
    courtesy of EuroVideo. The DVD box will contain Book One on disc, along with a free
    download code for the entire season.
  • The team was hard at work over the summer holiday, and we have pictures to prove it!
  • We captured some brand new 4K screenshots from the game, including a look at the
    new and improved Europolis-Zoë (and hairstyle chosen by our community!).
  • And, finally, we're announcing a musical competition!

But before we get into all of that, let's briefly talk about something we're getting a lot of
questions about: our release date.

With the end of August approaching, many of you are asking when Book One is coming
out. Right now, we have an internal target date, but we're not making any announcements
quite yet. The autumn is a busy time for games and we want to make sure our date doesn't
conflict with any big titles with a massive marketing spend.

We hope to be able to narrow it down a bit more by the beginning of September, and we

will most likely announce our final release date three to four weeks ahead of time. We do
not foresee any delays, as work on Book One is currently wrapping up and the team is
slowly transitioning over to the Book Two beta phase.

Gamescom

Last week, Dreamfall Chapters — along with a couple of Red Thread team members —

was at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. This was the first time the game's been
presented in a closed presentation room at a major trade show, and there were wall to wall
shows for three full (and exhausting) days — mostly to German press.

As for what was shown, the focus was on (deep breath) Dreamfall Chapters Book One:
Reborn. Three different scenes were demoed in the half-hour presentation; two of which
we’ve already shown at other events — including Rezzed, earlier this year.

Our goal at Gamescom was to make sure that as many journalists and publications as
possible are aware of the game — not to reveal brand new features or plot points, or for
fans to get any hands-on time with the game. With our release on the horizon, we do not
want to spoil the mystery and any remaining surprises.

In addition to showing the game on PC, Sony also announced during their big Gamescom
media event that Dreamfall Chapters (along with several other great looking indie titles) is
coming "first to PlayStation 4" — in other words, the PS4 will be our first console release.
This won't affect the release of the desktop versions of the game, of course, which are
most certainly coming first.

The PlayStation 4 version will arrive early next year, and will be digitally distributed via the
PlayStation Network in an episodic format. Pricing and release date to be announced
when we get closer to release.

Due to the way Sony handles digital distribution, we are unfortunately unable to offer PS4
copies to our backers: to do so, we'd have to purchase the keys ourselves, which isn't
feasible. Regardless, we hope many of you will enjoy the PC/Mac/Linux versions enough
to want to replay it on console next year!

The episodic announcement

More than a month has now passed since our episodic announcement, and most
questions and concerns have been answered. In fact, there’s a big thread over on our
forum where Ragnar has posted a lot of replies, and senior community member and expert
forum user Erika (AKA agirlnamedbob) has compiled a very handy FAQ with the most
important answers. (We have an awesome community.)

While we’re sure the episodic announcement took a lot of you by surprise, the feedback
has actually been overwhelmingly supportive and positive. Not all of you were completely
happy with the change, of course, and we didn’t expect that, but there’s been less negative
feedback than we feared, something we’re grateful for.

As always, the only thing we can do is to inform you about what’s happening with the game
and trust that you’ll understand the reasons behind our decisions. Every decision we make
is with the game and our community in mind. For the time being, our company's future
beyond Chapters comes last — although, of course, we hope to be able to make games
for many years to come!

(After all, Draugen calls from the dark sea, and The Longest Journey Home is one we’d
like to take.)

Summer holidays

July is typically a slow month in Norway, but that doesn’t mean the entire Red Thread team
took time off in the extreme, tropical heat. A lot got done over the summer, and this is just a
tiny glimpse at what the team worked on over the past month and a half:

37781aade909b730d29e59cd65e35db3_large.p

From top left and clockwise, we have the very green Propast Souk (home to roaming
CyberChickens, no joke), one of the many bars on Kaprova (catering to every taste), the
infamous dream emporium House of Dreams (with Madam Nyx's face plastered all over
the facade) and Zoë’s eye-catching new Europolis hairdo under construction.

New screenshots

We recently got a new 4K monitor at our office and, with it, the opportunity to play the
game in the highest possible resolution. We're happy to say it went swimmingly! While it
does require a very powerful PC with a top notch graphics card, the game runs great and
looks beautiful in full 4K resolution.

Click here for a gallery of screenshots showing off our cyberpunk world in 4K (3840x2160
pixels) resolution.

This gallery also features the new Europolis Zoë model, and the hair that was chosen by our
community in a Facebook post back in June.

Musical competition

This has been in the works for quite a while, so we're really happy to finally announce our
very first musical competition for Dreamfall Chapters!

The competition will begin next week and the full rules will be posted on our forum, on
Twitter and Facebook, and in a short Kickstarter update this coming Tuesday. But here's a
sneak peek at what the musical competition is all about:

We’re inviting our community to create music for Dreamfall Chapters, to be used in both
Europolis (our futuristic central European cyberpunk metropolis) and Marcuria (a
magical mediaeval fantasy city).

All contributions may make their way into the game, to be used for diegetic music —
music originating from within the game world; e.g. radio speakers, bars and clubs, street
performers and musicians.

Music can be in any genre and style, and use any instruments, although the more
suitable the music is for our universe, the greater your chance of being selected as a winner.

The competition will run from Wednesday, August 27th through Friday, September 20th,
and the full rules and submission details will be revealed this coming Tuesday!

That's it for this August production update. Thanks for reading and thanks for your
continued support! We'll be back next week with the competition rules, and in September
with another update. Until then:

May the Balance be with you!

Team RTG

• agirlnamedbob, Lautaro, UPtimist and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#2 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:49

Fantasic update! But i liked old Europolis Zoe's model :P

#3 UPtimist

UPtimist

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:05

Yay!

All I wanted to say was - I feel like a big part of The Dreamfall Chapters storyline should be of Zoe dealing with neck pains if she keeps on just looking up everyhwere like she does in those screenshots :P

I wonder if I could find a good enough recording equipment somewhere to send something to the musical competition...
  • Riaise, toremygg, chiccats and 1 other like this
The Dreamer who dreams, ten trillion miles of dark...
Chrysta Bell - Angel Star

Some of my pictures: 500px, See.Me, Flickr

#4 Christoffer Sunrider Grav

Christoffer Sunrider Grav

RTG Art Director

• RTG Staff
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:34

Yay!

All I wanted to say was - I feel like a big part of The Dreamfall Chapters storyline should be of Zoe dealing with neck pains if she keeps on just looking up everyhwere like she does in those screenshots :P

I wonder if I could find a good enough recording equipment somewhere to send something to the musical competition...

That's what you get when 'the creator' aka Ragnarock doesn't ask the "art team" for help on picking screens. He he! It's obviously his favourite angle.

But you can learn from Zoë. When playing the game, look up once in a while. There is a lot of things to be seen.

• Tina and NeilClaimer like this

#5 Christoffer Sunrider Grav

Christoffer Sunrider Grav

RTG Art Director

• RTG Staff
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:36

Really?

*flabbergasted*

There goes months of work in the drain ;)

• WorldsReunited, Andreas, khh and 1 other like this

#6 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:56

There's no pleasing some people.

"That's just what Jesus said, Sir!"

The former Zoe looked like she was sucking lemons. Which is good for the part of the story where

Spoiler
, but variety is the spice of life!

• Riaise and Veen Friend like this

#7 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:43

A few short notes :P

I like Zoë's new hairdo just fine (looks like they kept the ponytail, the dance of which I loved in the gamescom scenes). The new bangs might cause a problem for animation though – if they don't move at all, they will look like they're made of plastic, an effect we've seen in far too many games to date. Will have to see the whole thing in motion before I can decide whether it'll sink or swim... ;)

The announcement of the German "retail" had me moan elsewhere on this forum. A retail edition with a 'download code' for 80% of its content is senseless, and a retail edition that has to be activated online is as well. Still, the announcement doesn't yet set in stone what service will offer the download. I can only repeat that it is at least of great importance to me that it isn't the DRM'd/cliented publisher monopoly I've been talking too much about lately... do at least half of this right, please.

Music contest, eh? Hmmmm... I might have to put my brother on the case.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#8 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 August 2014 - 13:16

She will still be available to backers of certain tiers — as promised (controversially, and to much passionate debate during our Kickstarter campaign) we do allow a degree of character customisation to a number of tiers.

• NeilClaimer and Veen Friend like this

#9 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 August 2014 - 13:23

The announcement of the German "retail" had me moan elsewhere on this forum. A retail edition with a 'download code' for 80% of its content is senseless, and a retail edition that has to be activated online is as well. Still, the announcement doesn't yet set in stone what service will offer the download. I can only repeat that it is at least of great importance to me that it isn't the DRM'd/cliented publisher monopoly I've been talking too much about lately... do at least half of this right, please.

I can assure you that the German retail release will not cause you any personal hardships or misfortune! ;)

I mean, honestly, if it helps us reach more people — and it will — and if it satisfies some non-Kickstarter customers' wish to have a physical box — and it will — then why the hell not? The alternative is to wait until all the episodes are out, and sure, yes, it would be great to have the entire game on a disc (or three)…but who says that won't happen in the long run? And in the meantime, if this gets Chapters into more hands, what's your concern?

In the end, the customers have a choice. They will be thoroughly informed about the fact that the box only contains the FIRST episode. We're not tricking anyone. We're not running a scam. This is an option if a) they want a box, B) they're not happy buying stuff online with a credit card, c) they discover the game in a store and feel like giving it a shot.

I'm always confused by this skepticism to CHOICE. If no one buys the first-episode box, then fine, it was obviously not something people wanted. If they do, great, we filled a need.

As for what's in the box, along with the game disc, that's up to our German distributor. We can't dictate that. Our goal was to get the game localised into German, and distributed to German players in German (and Austrian, and Swiss) stores. That's what we're doing here, and if you don't like that…just ignore it! You will get your DRM-free key through Humble or GOG — that CHOICE is yours. Always! :)

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar and 5 others like this

#10 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 August 2014 - 13:26

I like Zoë's new hairdo just fine (looks like they kept the ponytail, the dance of which I loved in the gamescom scenes). The new bangs might cause a problem for animation though – if they don't move at all, they will look like they're made of plastic, an effect we've seen in far too many games to date. Will have to see the whole thing in motion before I can decide whether it'll sink or swim... ;)

Yeah, it's going to have some movement. Movement is tough to illustrate in screenshots!

Music contest, eh? Hmmmm... I might have to put my brother on the case.

Please do! :)
  • NeilClaimer likes this

#11 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1327 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 13:55

I love all of the art. Very, very excited to actually get to play it Not So Long From Now.

I'll be playing on Mac laptop - any suggestions (from RTG or others) for controllers? I tried mouse + keyboard with Dreamfall, didn't find it as much to my liking as a controller, which I used for my Xbox copy of DF.

#12 Lautaro

Lautaro

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 23 August 2014 - 14:37

I love the new Zoë design, I think I like the older clothes better, but the hair It´s just gorgeous it´s nice to see how the character models are coming along. The Screens are very impressive, Europolis has been very dark yet colorful at the same time. Cannot wait the the first chapter to come out!!

#13 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 23 August 2014 - 14:42

There is just something about TLJ art style that I absolutely love. I just see it and feel instantly at home.

The high res screenshots are absolutely top, and the AA is working :) Every time I have seen the game lately in videos or a screenshots, it just looks better and better.

• khh, Veen Friend and Consili like this

#14 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 15:09

Zoe looks great. 

• Veen Friend likes this

blasted be the balance

#15 Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 16:00

I voted for the new metropolis hairdoo but looking at it now it just seems wrong. I think you should have gone with a look that is closer to the original Zoe.

#16 genervt

genervt

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 16:06

I should buy a better Display for Dreamfall chapters :wub:

thumbs up for the german localisation. TLJ and Dreamfall hat great localisation. But i think i give it a shot in english first ;)

#17 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 23 August 2014 - 16:35

I just love the new look of Zoé. It was what I wished for... A much more beautifull and very elegant look. She has a better chance in Europolis to find friends with this look - if she smiles.  :D A warm person with feelings, I see...

And I think many would like her quite different look. Much more matured and futuristic.

The special (edition) german release is great news. Also for hardcore fans!  :D If they can decide for themselves.

Thanks a lot for the update and the 4K pictures with lots of details.  :)

• Lautaro likes this

#18 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 17:17

As for what's in the box, along with the game disc, that's up to our German distributor. We can't dictate that. Our goal was to get the game localised into German, and distributed to German players in German (and Austrian, and Swiss) stores. That's what we're doing here, and if you don't like that…just ignore it! You will get your DRM-free key through Humble or GOG — that CHOICE is yours. Always! :)

Errrr... is there actually a backer choice for GOG instead of Humble?? :huh:

Nonetheless, my personal aversion to the 'distribution model' aside, I did see the negative reaction to the retail mechanics over at the adventure-treff forum already (vomiting emoticons were posted). The idea seems to be to wait and hope for an actual retail edition - "special edition" - to be released when all episodes are out (preferably DRM free). The 'empty box' approach EuroVideo is going for here will likely backfire, and if DRM'd and incomplete products "backfire" on Amazon.de, the result is often ugly.

I don't want to see this happen to Chapters. :sotb:

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#19 pancakeghost

pancakeghost

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 18:48

Some Czech feedback: I saw on kickstarter someone already commented on the Czech names of Europolis businesses, like Seraph kavarna, and I agree with them that for a native Czech speaker the word order sounds awkward, and that makes me want to point out that Autoservis Propast would sound more natural than the word order we saw in the new screenshots but I am also thinking this is Prague of 23rd century. Given the influence English has on our language now it is not unbelievable that in two hundred years the changes will be even more obvious and unnatural to a 21st century speaker.

So, Kavárna Seraph and Autoservis Propast would be the correct word order now but in Europolis it could sound archaic. So.

Aside from that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zoe's new look. I did like the previous outfit and classic ponytail as well  though. Either way this reflects Zoe's inner changes well. She's so pretty, I just want to hug her <3 Details of her hands are looking great too, very natural and just lovely. Gosh she's so darling I just want to look at her all day hahaha.

• NeilClaimer, Veen Friend and Consili like this

#20 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 22:30

Some people on KS are going nutty over this PS4 thing haha. It never was stated that DFC would be coming out for PS4 100% when the Kickstarter was first put up.

This music contest thoooooooo. Excite.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter, update, PS4, playstation, console, gamescom, german, german release, announcement, music, competition, august

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users