Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 21:50

I WAS JOKING.

I guess I have to work on my winky faces. Or my sense of humour.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one that have to work on that :)

• Chocobo_sage likes this

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#42 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 21:54

Phew...that's good.  I'm sure a winky would've been more obvious, but the thought of even possibly screwing something up for RTG given the past week probably made me more sensitive/paranoid than usual.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle" and "The Cat Lady."  Previous game: "A Bird Story"

#43 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 22:31

I WAS JOKING.

Tørnquist reveals PS4 exclusivity to be hoax

Xbox One and Wii U versions imminent; "It was good PR anyway" claims developer

• Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, trentjaspar and 4 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#44 Chikyuu

Chikyuu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 23:09

Tørnquist announces Dreamfall Chapters for Atari.

Fans rejoice over this bold move as "developers have ignored this console for far too long"

• Jecica, Lautaro and Sara like this

ゆめゆめうたがうことなかれ 夢見る子供 の ゆめ の ゆめ

yume yume utagau koto nakare, yume miru kodomo no yume no yume

#45 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 19 August 2014 - 00:01

Oh, I'm definitely getting a PS4 this autumn. I mean, I feel like I sort of have to now. But also because it's a great platform to play a growing number of really awesome indie titles…along with, y'know, a couple of triple-A's. But mostly indies.

I just wish they'd let me change the background.  I mean - that must seem silly, but I really really wish they'd let me change the background on mine.

#46 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:35

I just wish they'd let me change the background.  I mean - that must seem silly, but I really really wish they'd let me change the background on mine.

Yeah, there are some smaller and bigger things who needs work on the UI but I'm sure we'll get them eventually :)

• loranna238 likes this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#47 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:36

I WAS JOKING.

Believe it or not, I got that. Did take me Two Seconds™, but I did get it. 

*Two Seconds™ can be anything from two seconds to A Little While®

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#48 Chikyuu

Chikyuu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTrondheim, Norway

Posted 19 August 2014 - 16:00

Believe it or not, I got that. Did take me Two Seconds™, but I did get it.

*Two Seconds™ can be anything from two seconds to A Little While®

But I suppose it is less than eight bloody years^_^
  • Edreamer Jamil likes this

ゆめゆめうたがうことなかれ 夢見る子供 の ゆめ の ゆめ

yume yume utagau koto nakare, yume miru kodomo no yume no yume

#49 DarkLynx

DarkLynx

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 21:53

Dear RTG team,

Is it still possible to choose PS4 instead of PC version for the free copy of the game as the backer reward?

Thanks and all the best

#50 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 22:03

Dear RTG team,

Is it still possible to choose PS4 instead of PC version for the free copy of the game as the backer reward?

Thanks and all the best

Hi DarkLynx,

that was never possible - the PS4 release was only ever announced last week! Unfortunately, RTG also have no say in the matter. Unlike GOG, Humble or that other PC publishing service, the console manufacturers do not offer developers the chance to buy keys for their own game in bulk at mere cents per key.

That means that to supply PS4 keys to backers, RTG would essentially have to buy their own game full price from Sony. Which would of course eat up all the money they need to put into development. That's why it can't happen, I'm sad to say. :(

• TalkingOak and trentjaspar like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#51 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 22:47

Yeah, basically what V said. 

There's also the fact that the PS4 port is in development, but RTG has stated that it will be released AFTER the PC/Mac/Linux version. So if they were to allow you to choose a PS4 version, they'd be asking you to delay your reward by what could be anything from several months to a year or more. We know DFC is coming to the PS4, but I don't think we have any sort of timeline on that yet. 

And while I'm sure some people would prefer to have it on PS4, it's very likely just not feasible for distribution. There will be no physical version of DFC for PS4 and I don't think the PS4 has a proper system in place for them to even try to distribute the game to backers via the PSN. 

Again, if RTG has found some sort of magic way to make it happen, I'm sure a few people would be very happy, but I wouldn't expect that to happen. 

• TalkingOak and loranna238 like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#52 NeilClaimer

NeilClaimer

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 20 August 2014 - 00:01

...what could be anything from several months to a year or more.

:unsure: I know we shouldn't get too optimistic, but please, Erika, this is the stuff of nightmares!  :lol:

I was born to hold a DualShock · Scrobbling gives me life

I seem to keep waiting for Reza to ask me to pick up a package for him or something

#53 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:37

:unsure: I know we shouldn't get too optimistic, but please, Erika, this is the stuff of nightmares!  :lol:

Okay. To clarify a couple points. 

1.) I'm not saying the game as a whole will be delayed that long. Just that the PS4 version could take a while. 

2.) I'm not saying that it WILL take that long or that I HOPE it takes that long. I'm just saying that all we know right now on that front is that a PS4 version is coming, it doesn't impact the PC/Mac/Linux version, and it's coming out after the PC/Mac/Linux version. I'm far from an expert on this, but based on what's been said, it's not like they just press a button and suddenly the game is ported perfectly to another system. There will need to be separate trouble shooting, bug testing, etc. for that port of the game. And they have a lot on their plate right now. And the PC/Mac/Linux version that was backed via Kickstarter is their priority. And they're a small team. A very talented and dedicated team, for sure, but they're not miracle workers. 

3.) I'm not saying that allowing backers to get a PS4 version would be bad. I actually posed the question almost immediately once the PS4 release was announced, as I assumed backers would want some sort of official word from RTG on if that would be possible. Everything I've heard since then, however, leads me to believe that backers being able to choose a PS4 version of the game rather than a PC/Mac/Linux version is highly unlikely. For all of the reasons mentioned previously. If it's feasible, I'm all for it, but right now it just doesn't seem feasible.

As always, these are obviously my opinions. I reserve the right to eat my words when and if more information on the subject is released. 

• trentjaspar likes this

#54 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:27

Hmm, maybe it's a good idea to copy my post from the other thread about this (particularly for the question of backers wanting to choose PS4)

Clarifications and question answering from RTG on twitter after the initial announcement-tweets (links are to the actual tweets):

PS4 related:

• No, backers will not get #PS4 version. It wasn't part of the Kickstarter and it would be very expensive for us. Sorry! (x)
  • Our Kickstarter was PC/Mac/Linux only, no consoles. We're paying for the #PS4 port ourselves! (x)
  • Q: wait huh? If you are funding the ps4 version then why is it exclsuive to ps4 now? A: We're a small team and we can only afford to work on one console for now. Hopefully that [releasing for more consoles] will change in the future! (x)
  • Sony is not our publisher. We're self publishing on PSN! And funding the port entirely on our own :) (x)
  • We're funding the console version(s) ourselves. No Kickstarter money being used for that! (x)
  • Q: So are you saying that [Sony] didn't pay for exclusivity?". A: We can't comment on our agreement. Most important thing for us was to focus on one platform. For now! (x)
  • Q: Is the PS4 version of Dreamfall set for 2014 too? Or 2015? A: No date set quite yet, but it will be after the release of Book One on PC/Mac/Linux. (x)

Wii U related:

• WiiU unfortunately has relatively limited RAM. Our game was designed for desktop platforms. Hard to squeeze it down. (x)
  • We tried but it was a difficult challenge for us. Mostly because of memory. #PS4 has a lot more RAM, which helps immensely.(x)
  • Q: The Wii U has 2GB of Ram, how much do you need?". A: We recommend 4GB of RAM for an optimal experience.(x)
  • #PS4 has 8GB of RAM. Makes a huge difference. But anything is doable with time, money & experience, of course! (x)
  • We'd be happy to make WiiU games in the future! Haven't heard much from Nintendo though. Don't think they were too interested. (x)
  • We would love to make a WiiU game. Something that fits the platform better than #Dreamfall #Chapters. We have some ideas! (x)

Xbox related:

• The game would run great on #Xbone. But we need to focus on one console for now. We're a tiny team. And Sony approached us. (x)
  • To be fair to Microsoft they have been responsive. But we are much further along with Sony and #PS4 so it made sense. (x)

• Chocobo_sage, agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak and 2 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#55 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:47

Thanks, Tina! I missed the part where they specifically stated no-go on the PS4 version for backers. I sort of assumed, as I stated, but I missed that it had been confirmed. 

• Tina likes this

#56 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:27

The PS4 release is confirmed to still be an episodic release. "Years" later wouldn't make that much sense. As would too many months.

An episode release that goes PC1 / PS1 / PC2 / PS2 ... is probably the goal RTG has set themselves. Whether it'll come to pass is another question...

#57 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:49

Hi. I enclose what RTG said in the kickstarter comments. Maybe this helps clearing things up a little.

Hi guys!

We're working on a Kickstarter update to clarify some of the details around the PlayStation 4 announcement. We could not, unfortunately, post an update before Sony had made their announcement, and because of Gamescom we haven't had the time since -- but it's in the works so look out for that early next week!

A couple of quick things in response to comments below:

There is, unfortunately, no way for us to let backers switch to the PS4 version. We would have to buy the game keys from Sony ourselves, which would make it prohibitively expensive, and since the Kickstarter was for PC/Mac/Linux, we can only provide pledgers with those versions. We would have loved to do it, but it's out of our hands.

The PS4 (and other, upcoming platforms) version is NOT being funded with Kickstarter money. Most of the content and code is shared across all platforms, and we're investing in the port with funds from other sources, along with income from the sales of season passes this autumn, when Book One is released for desktop platforms.

PS4 is not the reason we went episodic or for any delays. For the time being, all code and content is shared between platforms, and we're still in the starting phases of the PS4 port -- which is why it won't be out until after the PC/Mac/Linux versions. If anything, it'll be those versions delaying the PlayStation versions. Our priority is to fulfil our Kickstarter commitments.

The cool thing is that any improvements or upgrades that we do for PS4 will be added back into the other versions, and if the game sells well on PSN, we'll have more money to invest in future episodes. Everyone wins!

We'll have more next week. Thanks for your patience!

We understand your frustration, but keep in mind that the PlayStation 4 version wasn't confirmed until very recently, almost eighteen months after the Kickstarter. We couldn't foresee what would happen: in fact, the PS4 hadn't even been properly announced when we launched our campaign. We also wanted to focus on our core platforms and customers -- Windows and, to some degree, Mac and Linux -- before even considering consoles.

Also, due to the way Sony handles digital copies, we wouldn't have been able to give away 'free' copies with pledges, since we have to pay for those ourselves. And the purpose of the Kickstarter campaign was to raise funds so that we could make the game -- if there had been a PS4 option and half of our backers had gone with that one, we wouldn't have been able to finance the game.

This doesn't have anything to do with Kickstarter or trusting developers; rather, it's about how things change during production. When the opportunity came to do a PlayStation version, we jumped at the chance to broaden our audience, reach new players, and get the game on (what we believe) the best next-generation console on the market. We don't feel we've lied or cheated or scammed anyone, and we've been pretty open about what we're using the Kickstarter money for. The PS4 port is NOT one of them! :)

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#58 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:24

And while I'm sure some people would prefer to have it on PS4, it's very likely just not feasible for distribution. There will be no physical version of DFC for PS4 and I don't think the PS4 has a proper system in place for them to even try to distribute the game to backers via the PSN. 

We would actually have to buy the game from Sony in order to give it to backers; they don't have a system like Steam's, where we can generate codes and distribute them freely. I completely understand why they don't: it's a different market and different economics. But it does mean that there's no way for us, financially or logistically, to provide backers with a PSN key.

Our official line is that backers have paid for a Windows, Mac or Linux version — and not a PlayStation 4 version — but of course it would have been great if we could do this. But we can't. And that, unfortunately, is that.

• agirlnamedbob and TalkingOak like this

#59 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:27

The PS4 release is confirmed to still be an episodic release. "Years" later wouldn't make that much sense. As would too many months.

An episode release that goes PC1 / PS1 / PC2 / PS2 ... is probably the goal RTG has set themselves. Whether it'll come to pass is another question...

That would be ideal, but I think a more realistic release schedule will be PC1, PC2, PS1, PC3, PS2, PS3, PC/PS4, PC/PS5. We want to sync the releases towards the end, but the initial port is going to take some time; it's not simply a matter of pushing a button. Far from it.

(Oh, and don't hold me to this: it's just how I envision the schedule playing out, it might not happen exactly this way.)

• agirlnamedbob and Andreas like this

#60 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:41

(Oh, and don't hold me to this: it's just how I envision the schedule playing out, it might not happen exactly this way.)

We're aware that this is diffuse news. However, important as well. It could... possibly... end up in an FAQ of sorts... ;)

Syncing up the release with the later episodes reminds me about Telltale's early entries into episodic console releases... it played out rather similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users