#1 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:53

Dreamfall_website_banner

Sony announced last Tuesday in their Gamescom Media Preview that Dreamfall Chapters will be coming "first to PlayStation 4" — this applies to consoles only, of course, and not desktop platforms: the Windows, Mac and Linux versions remain unaffected, with the first episode coming out this autumn.

No date has been announced for the PlayStation 4 version, but the game will get an episodic digital release via the PlayStation Network. Any changes, upgrades and improvements made for console will of course be brought to the other versions as well.

We're really excited about bringing the game to a new platform and a whole new group of players, and you can read more about what we're doing in Ragnar Tørnquist's blog post on the official PlayStation blog, right here:

Dreamfall Chapters Coming Soon to PS4

The PlayStation 4 release is a timed exclusive, which means that the game may come to other consoles down the line. But for now the PlayStation 4 is the only console version in development, along with the existing Windows, Mac and Linux versions.

For more information and press kit, please get in touch with us!

http://redthreadgames.com/2014/08/18/dreamfall-chapters-coming-to-the-playstation-4/
  • Chocobo_sage, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 2 others like this

#2 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:54

(I love that I talk about myself in the third person, above. I blame it on our content management system!)

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 10 others like this

#3 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:05

Will there be a "Season Pass" or something similar so we can pay for all episodes when the first episode is ready for PSN, making it possible to download the next episodes when they come out without having to think about paying for them each time?

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#4 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:40

IGN article about PS4 reveal

(Ragnar made some comments in the comment section)

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:45

Will there be a "Season Pass" or something similar so we can pay for all episodes when the first episode is ready for PSN, making it possible to download the next episodes when they come out without having to think about paying for them each time?

If the PC version is any indication, there will not be any OTHER option besides Season pass.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:54

Season pass - It is really kind of silly to make someone pay for a game piecemeal, though they do it with books.

#7 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:55

If the PC version is any indication, there will not be any OTHER option besides Season pass.

Yes. That is what I also think. But I have experienced games on PSN that are episodic where you could choose between Season Pass or pay for each episode as they came out. I personally prefer Season Pass in these cases.

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#8 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:18

Yes, I believe there will be a Season Pass option on PSN — in addition to buying single episodes, something required by Sony. You will need to buy them in chronological order, though, since subsequent episodes will use both content and player choices from previous episodes.

Of course, we'd be very happy if everyone bought a Season Pass rather than single episodes! :)

• Andreas likes this

#9 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3553 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:19

Of course, we'd be very happy if everyone bought a Season Pass rather than single episodes! :)

"Make it good, and they will buy"

#10 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:20

Yes. That is what I also think. But I have experienced games that is episodic where you could choose between Season pass or pay for each episode as they came out. I personally prefer Season pass in these cases.

On the PC, there will not be a single-episode option. We want people to buy into the whole story, and with a Season Pass we don't have to worry about sales of subsequent episodes. Also, for technical reasons, it's a LOT easier for us when people pay for the whole thing, since there's no way for us to support players buying only, say, episode two and playing that. Every episode is basically a patch being added to the main game client, not a separate, standalone version.

• Andreas and Em_TC like this

#11 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3553 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:22

«Dreamfall Chapters is patchwork, developer admits»

:P

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob and 5 others like this

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31

On the PC, there will not be a single-episode option.

That might result in quite a large amount of people waiting for the whole run of episodes to be out, so they can see a review of the whole thing before deciding to buy it or not.

#13 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3553 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:35

That's called "Consumer Choice". :)

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:40

That's called "Consumer Choice". :)

Well yeah, I never said it wasnt ;) But I thought the idea was to generate extra money as each episode is released. Having a season pass or nothing option on the pc will diminish that, maybe considerably so. Ok i'll go back to lurking now :)

#15 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:46

I just locked the other topic, because it looked identical? (only looked quickly from my phone but I could be wrong).
Mr RagT, feel free to open it again if you want :)
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#16 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:58

That might result in quite a large amount of people waiting for the whole run of episodes to be out, so they can see a review of the whole thing before deciding to buy it or not.

Reviews will be happening along the way — that's the way it's worked with other episodic games. Book One will get the most reviews, of course, with each subsequent episode seeing less and less interest, until the final one, when some outlets will do a summary review of the whole series.

If some people decide to wait until the end, that's absolutely fine. From my totally non-scientific, completely anecdotal research, most players are not going to wait. And I think that some who say they will, once the game is out and people are talking about it, they'll cave and start playing :)

And, to be honest, the price tag for the Season Pass is cheap, compared with how much game you're getting. I don't think a lot of people will balk at the cost.

• khh likes this

#17 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 13:00

Well yeah, I never said it wasnt ;) But I thought the idea was to generate extra money as each episode is released. Having a season pass or nothing option on the pc will diminish that, maybe considerably so. Ok i'll go back to lurking now :)

Usually, it's the contrary: offering individual episodes causes a large fall-off as players stop buying subsequent episodes, or forget that the series exists. Most players do not finish games — all statistics confirm this, and a lot of players will barely get halfway before being distracted by other games. The Season Pass is a way to ensure that players buy into the whole series, and not just bits of it. And it prevents us from having to solve a bunch of technical problems on PC.

#18 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 13:02

I just locked the other topic, because it looked identical? (only looked quickly from my phone but I could be wrong).
Mr RagT, feel free to open it again if you want :)

WordPress did it! Not sure why it spawned a second topic, but looks like it's because I updated the article itself.

#19 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1847 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 13:10

Most players do not finish games — all statistics confirm this, and a lot of players will barely get halfway before being distracted by other games.

That really is true.

The Season Pass is a way to ensure that players buy into the whole series, and not just bits of it. And it prevents us from having to solve a bunch of technical problems on PC.

I really hope it works out, i'm sure it will. I just wouldn't want to see the likes of Jim Sterling using DFC in one of his rants about money upfront season passes. He usually ignores TLJ games existence anyway.

Any news on a release date yet, so I can book days off work to play it :) ?

#20 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 August 2014 - 13:21

That really is true.
I really hope it works out, i'm sure it will. I just wouldn't want to see the likes of Jim Sterling using DFC in one of his rants about money upfront season passes. He usually ignores TLJ games existence anyway.

Any news on a release date yet, so I can book days off work to play it :) ?

Not yet. Wish I could, since we have a date (or a small range of dates) in mind, but we don't want to announce anything now and have to backtrack on it :( It's backfired before, us being enthusiastic and sharing, and then having to change our minds.

We have said it'll probably be "before November", however. And we do want to spend as much time with it as possible…

Make of that what you wish. Just don't hold me to it!

• WorldsReunited and khh like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users