#1 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:37

Really excited to hear any news since the last announcement I am hoping for a release date for book 1.

But any new gameplay footage will be greatly appreciated as well :)

What do you guys think ?

#2 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:39

Hopefully, no new gameplay footage will leak. These are episodes now - of that mere three hour experience, there really shouldn't be more spoilers around. The same is true for crucial story details concerning Book 1. We have enough now, there shouldn't be more with just two months to go.

I'm afraid however that RTG will show the whole thing to journalists just because they can, and these journalists each have a rather individual interpretation of the spoiler threshold. A lot of them haven't got a single clue what to write about besides what they understood of the story, and that particularly applies to a narrative centered game like Chapters. That's a tangible and huge risk we're facing for gamescom: stupid game journalists. :(

Yeah... I actually think the game shouldn't be shown, isn't that something? :uncrow:

As to the information people might get on gamescom because the first episode is just around the corner:

• the voice cast. Seriously, if Ellie isn't announced on gamescom, just forget about her. The same applies to practically everyone else from the old games.
  • recording sessions for real instruments & possibly cooperation with a vocals artist. Having a camera in the recording studio always makes for great advertising material.
  • soundtrack samples. It's about time for that stuff too...
  • a final release date for Book 1. It's a bit of a reach of course, with two months to go in any case (there is after all a reason why Telltale's episode release dates are only ever announced some days before release).
  • final UI decisions. What we've e.g. seen as a variant of the "verb coin" seemed preliminary and in any case as lackluster and uninteresting as the Apple design philosophy. Hope that has changed quite a bit since we saw it last...
  • interactive graphic novel retelling of "Dreamfall" - there should be quite some insight into the 'recapp' possible at present. If not, they'll never finish this thing before October.
  • community contest announcements. There still is at least one very crucial art contest to go, and that's probably not the only kind of viral based advertising that should be announced.

• Clairobscur, NeilClaimer and Evilopoly90 like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1327 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 15:50

I'd guess there will be footage shown, but that it will be a more finished version (fully voiced, tweaked dialogue and visuals) of a sequence or two we've already seen.

I sure hope there will be VO and RecApp announcements, too!

#4 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:07

Maybe something about Book 2?

#5 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 August 2014 - 17:22

@Vainamoinen: I wouldn't worry too much of RTG spoiling "everything", even to journalists behind closed doors. Ragnar thankfully seems to have a fetish for "mystery" (you don't need me to quote Cortez's infamous phrase, I presume) and I think they'll keep more than enough things shrouded from everyone for this very reason (including the whole mystery about the 3rd playable character, I don't think we'll find out about her until we each sit down and click the "start the adventure" button on our screens).

Voice cast announcements (and possibly a tentative release date) are reasonable expectations of what we could get out of Gamescon, though.

• NeilClaimer likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#6 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 20:34

@Vainamoinen: I wouldn't worry too much of RTG spoiling "everything", even to journalists behind closed doors.

That wasn't my worry; my worry was that RTG shows the practically finished Book 1, which the journalists will then proceed to spoil. :uncrow:

But what the heck, with the backlog those journalists usually pile up at gamescom, we can look forward to those chapters spoilers somewhere between late August and late September... :evil:

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#7 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 00:14

I dunno if they will spoil it all. It's an episode in a larger game. Did they spoil the entirety of other episodic games in the past? I dunno, maybe they did, I don't really reach much gaming press myself. One thing I do expect is for the deadline to be pushed back. That is what deadlines do, it is the way of things :-D

• wandrew and Vainamoinen like this

#8 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 16:36

Huh, WTF.

Adventure-Treff reports that the German version of Chapters supposedly hits at the same time as the English version. Now how is RTG achieving THAT...??

#9 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 August 2014 - 16:59

Huh, WTF.

Adventure-Treff reports that the German version of Chapters supposedly hits at the same time as the English version. Now how is RTG achieving THAT...??

By using more than one employee? Different people can generally do different things simultaneously. It's possible to translate as soon as the script is set, it's not needed to wait for English recording sessions. Some things will likely end up slightly different, but then again, this tends to happen whenever something is translated.

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 August 2014 - 17:15

I guess that means the script is done, at least the script for the first episode. And that they've hired someone to do the translation.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#11 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 17:41

Honestly, that seems to be really smart. I get that it'll probably piss some people off who want their localization ASAP, but from a business perspective, Germany is a huge market for this sort of game. So investing in that as their first translation is likely to have a larger ROI than some other translations.  

• Edreamer Jamil, khh and trentjaspar like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#12 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 23:30

I understand their announcement from the business point of view, especially since they are currently promoting the game in Germany, but I'm curious if French localization will get the same treatment.

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#13 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:56

If I understand correctly (that is, haven't missed some longer post by AdventureTreff), the "announcement" is this tweet? Other tweets show Ragnar and Dag in an interview setting and they're showing off the game.

So I don't feel this is a "real" announcement, really. Also, the AdventureTreff guys probably just asked about the German localization and RTG answered. In any case it does show that they are planning on releasing that localized version sooner rather than later, and I would assume that the French will be the same due to both being included in the same stretch goal. Although I guess it depends on RTG's contacts and who they're working with to make those versions. I know Ragnar has said before that "he didn't have anything to do with the Norwegian version" (in unofficial settings), so I'm finding it likely that they've just outsourced the localization.

But, I don't completely trust any information that I haven't heard directly from Ragnar's mouth or fingers. And even that can be misunderstood (PS4 exclusive, etc). So if AdventureTreff's tweet is all we go by, I wouldn't immediately say THIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH, until we hear something more. Which we will likely do soon, since RagDag are having lots of interviews with lots of people :)

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#14 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:39

If I understand correctly (that is, haven't missed some longer post by AdventureTreff), the "announcement" is this tweet? Other tweets show Ragnar and Dag in an interview setting and they're showing off the game.

So I don't feel this is a "real" announcement, really.

That's why I didn't call it an "announcement", just a "report" in an "info" thread. ^_^

And actually... I'm still not sure how pretty it can work out. But what the heck do I know, I've only been a translation project manager in a completely different field for six years. :sotb:

The flow of information from these fairs is a fickle thing, really. Journalists primarily hunt for coverage of the latest EA or Ubisoft stuff, jot down some notes for Chapters without really knowing the franchise and then, when their gamescom backlog is at almost zero, they pump out some 'news' article weeks or even months after gamescom. Worst case scenario, they don't say that it's still gamescom material, making the article look like it's info hot off the press. In other words, incorrect info will surface continuously during September and October, and we'll have our hands full dissecting what could be right and what could be wrong. Well, I guess Ragnar will be around to avert the major misinformation mishaps.

Ragnar needs to tweet more anyway. :wonk:

/edit: Adventure-Treff has made their tweet even more concrete on their 'gamescom notepad'.

Eine komplette deutsche Synchronisation in Text und Sprache wird zeitgleich mit der englischen Veröffentlichung auf den Markt gebracht.

Rougly: "A complete German version in text and speech will be on the market simultaneously with the English release".

And before anyone asks: The additional Chapters info supplied there is about as old as time itself. ;)

• Tina, khh and trentjaspar like this

#15 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:16

Yep, just wanted to point it out, to make sure it wasn't over-importantized™ ;)

I agree there will be articles where information has been misunderstood, maybe due to translation errors etc. But I'm sure we also will get video interviews, which I'm looking very much forward to. Since journalists won't have "translated" what RagDag has said, but we get it straight from their mouths. With video, so things like facial expressions can be seen. So much easier to interpret (more) correctly.

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#16 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:54

The silence is really killing me, but it's still only day 2. Even if some site or youtube would just show a movie of them playing the first chapter again that would be amzeing!. I understand that now that everything is divided in books it's not so smart to show additional new gameplay, because there has to be some surprises!.

But I kinda wish if we could have info on the definite voice for Zo√ę, the finished UI etc...

#17 Martin

Martin

RTG Designer

• RTG Staff
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:18

Here are some news for ya'll! I'm not at GC! I'm at work, making new gameplay stuffs for you guys! Just a bit bitter, but not much.... Forum exclusive hooray! :P

• wandrew, Tina, Edreamer Jamil and 13 others like this
:cannon:  Cannon stroker   :cannon:
        :crow:  OrNOThologist   :crow:

#18 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:47

We appreciate it, a lot!! :cannon:

#19 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:39

Here are some news for ya'll! I'm not at GC! I'm at work, making new gameplay stuffs for you guys! Just a bit bitter, but not much.... Forum exclusive hooray! :P

Appreciate the update Martin :)

#20 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 18:42

Any update, really. Ragnar for one has stopped tweeting altogether.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users