Photo

The Longest Journey - remastered - Petition (It had to happen guys).

remake remastered hd please

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 SadoMazOMGie

SadoMazOMGie

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAriamis' Painted World

Posted 04 November 2014 - 16:34

Interesting and it looks pretty good, but you can't beat that retro feeling from when you play the original game. :)

Game accounts: EvolveSteam

Add me! Don't be shy!
infinitemouthbynanameta.gifCall me Pan and DON'T awaken the Mustakrakish in me!

↑ Work in progress. If you think the gif makes you lag, tell me and I'll replace it with a smaller version/remove it.

Super Mario-o RPG, it is the only one just for me, when I play the game I get lost in a phase, then I find out I'm stuck in Geno's Maze.

#62 Simplex

Simplex

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:44

I lost hope that TLJ will ever be remastered, but the recently released iOS version renewed my hope.

So, is there any chance of porting that new and improved iOS version over/back to PC (or at least android)? I'd buy it in an instant!

#63 April01

April01

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 13:57

As a big fan of the original TlJ game, I would not want a remastered version of this game. Not in the style of today, like we have DF or DFC. TlJ really was different, as a 2D adventure game, and it shall stay like this. Otherwise I believe it would not be the game anymore I loved tp play so much. But only my opinion. I would also not name this new iOS version as a remastered one, the differences are marginal. And the graphic is the same...

#64 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 20:02

I would prefer to have one more in the line of the remake of Gabrial Knight that they recently did.  Basically all the did was update the graphics and music.  Gameplay was the same.  Now they also had to re-record all the voices with different actors, but I don't think TLJ would have that problem, at least with April.

Some other "remastered" games to check out are the first two Monkey Island games that has "Special Editions".  Again, just updated graphics and music.  Nothing else was changed.

When we talk about a remastered version of TLJ, that's all we're really talking about.  What you're thinking of is more of a "re-imagining" that a remaster I think.

#65 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:00

Maybe the fans/community could make a remake? I've been experimenting with Dreamfall and Unity recently (there's a thread on this as well), and it has me inspired...

Here's something that I just made with Sculptris (freeware), currently coming in at ~440,000 triangles (comparing it to the original in TLJ):

PlUwqfq.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone recognizes what I was trying to make (It's still a WIP), but I know what scene I'll be making first... :)

Attached Files

• NeilClaimer and Veen Friend like this

#66 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 14:16

Actually, I was making it (translated: trying to learn how to make it), but it seems like you're on it already and you're way ahead of me. 

You should keep going!! :D

Were a fan remake possible it would most likely be a group effort.. I've just started learning with Unity (free version available) and a couple of other programs. I still need to learn to code though, which would be necessary for any game really..

The program that I made that rock formation with was Sculptris, which is limited but pretty easy to use (It's like molding clay!), I'd highly recommend it! The more people working on this stuff the better our odds are!

#67 Cory

Cory

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 16:43

I've recently started with unity as well. Got more experience with Maya though. As for coding, perhaps I can be ahead there. Not much, but I actually know some scripting, specifically in Javascript, which is the closest thing to Unity Script. 

P.S. Today i had Unity's default third character running circles in room 201.

:D :D :D Awesomeee!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see what you make!!!!!! And you're definitely ahead of me lol, I'm pretty much clueless with scripting or using actual 3D modeling software (beyond messing with Vue/Bryce as a kid)..!! I'm excited for this!!!

#68 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:54

I don't think that The Longest Journey needs a remastered version. It is quite perfect the way it is now : the 2D backgrounds and the interactive elements are still beautiful. Though I wouldn't mind aliasing-free texts, as long as they don't change the font like they did for the iPad version. :P

I think it's more important to make sure that the current version, like the one you can download on GOG.com, can run on modern OS like Windows 7. I was struggling to watch the wonderful FMVs of the game which often crashes if you don't skip them.

#69 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:00

TLJ works fine for me on Win7. Perhaps the custom settings file is required, I've never tried without it.

#70 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 03 February 2015 - 15:09

Just a small partly remake of TLJ would be fantastic in itself. Just some few steps to see how it turns out. To see new technology can be learned by redoing something you know very well. You have a well known model to go from like an artist when drawing has a visible landscape in the field. You have achieved something very special by doing this just by seeing that it can work.

A totally remake of TLJ would be enormous and long-time-taking, and I don't think this is necessary at all. This doesn't have to be the main idea. But how would this turn out by seeing the first couple of scenes would be fantastic. :)

I'm already exited by seeing the sculptures (or what it is) from TLJs start scene made by Cory, and I couldn't recognize them at first.

Spoiler

• Cory likes this

#71 mwyatt139

mwyatt139

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:18

I would totally support this as long as there could be a Mac compatible version or the windows version could be emulated through Wineskin without the missing textures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users