Photo

The Longest Journey - remastered - Petition (It had to happen guys).

remake remastered hd please

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:13

lol yea just saw two articles on the remastered TLJ lauching in NZ and AUS...

... like what the hell, this is SO abrupt I don't even think the Balance can handle this.

#42 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:21

Remastered ? looks like they just ran the original though WINE added some AA post processing and are selling it.

But ... they've spent years working on it. That there could probably have been done in a day by a good programmer.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#43 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:26

But ... they've spent years working on it. That there could probably have been done in a day by a good programmer.

really ? ok. I would say it falls more into the category of a port or conversion. Claiming its a remastered version of a 1999 game is abit miss leading imo.

• DiskJunky likes this

#44 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:33

They were supposedly working on it for at least 4 years, I think, lol. Though it's possible that it was an on-off development thing and that they never gave proper attention (or resources) to it.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#45 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:46

Well without getting a new artist to completely re-do the backgrounds (physical originals long lost) they could hardly makeover the game in full 'HD'. If they had, would it have felt like the same game ( new Gabe Knight, an example of where something like that was done, looks good mind, but still I'm not sure if I'd have liked that treatment given to TLJ)

The UI doesn't really need tweaking beyond perhaps some (hopefully present) minimal adjustments that might take better advantage of the touch interface

So out of interest what would others consider would need to be done to make a Remastered game worthy of that term ?

#46 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4548 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:36

From Pocketgamer:

"A spokesperson for Funcom told Pocket Gamer, "We're using Australia and New Zealand as test markets for an initial release, and if all goes well we hope to release it in more markets very soon."

• wandrew likes this

My Twitter & Instagram & Twitch ... for your viewing pleasure.

#47 Stormheart

Stormheart

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 18:31

Foreword from Ragnar and gameplay:

It seems that the screen is stretched on 16:9 devices, so iPad is obviously the best way to play.

I hope the rest of the world won't have to wait for much longer.

• khh, Em_TC, blaster and 2 others like this

#48 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 18:43

That looks quite good, actually. They must have updated some of the models, and maybe tweaked the backgrounds after up-scaling them.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#49 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 28 October 2014 - 18:49

Hmm, they've updated the engine so that it can support a larger resolution natively but doesn't look much changed apart from that. I assume they had a good reason for not making the models more complex/improving the textures. Artwork looks the same. I can't figure how they spent 4 years on this...maybe 4 years for one programmer? Even then...that's a lot of time for...better behavour for higher resolutions.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#50 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 28 October 2014 - 18:50

and to say you needed 4 cd's to install this :P

#51 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 19:02

I do very much doubt that Funcom has been working actively for 4 years on it. I suspect it's more like they started working on it four years ago, then put it down for some reason, and maybe pulled it up again now that Chapters is coming and a bit more life has been blown into the franchise. Maybe they even thought "oh, hey we have this thing that we started on but never finished, maybe we should quickly do something about it and release it, so that we maybe can get some more money from it now that Ragnar is doing his own thing". Or something :P

Additionally, I guess it's easier to make/port tablet games now, compared to 4 years ago. And a lot more people have access to iPads and such.

• khh, DiskJunky, yodagreen3 and 1 other like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#52 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 28 October 2014 - 21:04

mmmm, kinda. Porting to iOS would have been no easy task, easily necessitating a complete rewrite and a reuse of the assets. Apple being apple... I could see the port being 4 years, easily.

• khh, yodagreen3 and ShadowNate like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#53 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 28 October 2014 - 21:13

Hmm, might need to get it for my iPad. Good thing I was too disorganised to do a playthrough before DFC was released! :)

• Tina, khh, DiskJunky and 1 other like this

#54 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 23:20

mmmm, kinda. Porting to iOS would have been no easy task, easily necessitating a complete rewrite and a reuse of the assets. Apple being apple... I could see the port being 4 years, easily.

Aha, yeah, well I really don't know anything about programming and computers..

I still don't believe this was ever a huge priority for Funcom to do and release, though. With all the money trouble they've had, and with how little they seem to focus on these old games (or non-MMO games) etc.

But hmm, since Funcom doesn't have their main workforce in Norway anymore (afaik), then I guess they could have used more man hours on it than what I initially thought, since working outside of Norway is much less expensive.

All just speculation anyway, but I'm sort of thinking that IF this TLJ port had been a 4 year "big" project, then they could also have funded Chapters. In a way. Meh, I don't know :P

• WorldsReunited and DiskJunky like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#55 Minstrum-Squall

Minstrum-Squall

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 November 2014 - 19:26

TLJ, 1080P yes.

With 3D in fixed camera

Some day, the time will tell it us.

#56 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 21:59

Awesome! I wanted this a while back it was really before I had my macbook but I'll use this for my tablet... and it will be basicall the only reason I use my tablet.

#57 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 21:57

Bring it to the computer and I'll gladly buy it, don't have an ipad or any high tech phones..nor do I believe that is area where the game should be experienced..but that's just me.

• Guyra and Vostrino like this

jHevh80.jpg

#58 hyfrehyfre

hyfrehyfre

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:19

Hey this been keeping on!! XD i just hope somebody even a FAN made one comes out, i think a fan made original TLJ game can be made right? with kickstart would you pay on something like that?

#59 Roper

Roper

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:14

Bring it to the computer and I'll gladly buy it, don't have an ipad or any high tech phones..nor do I believe that is area where the game should be experienced..but that's just me.

It may not be suited for phones, but a tablet version makes a lot of sense to me. For example, when I replayed TLJ earlier this year, I had the choice between sitting at my desk using my Windows desktop and using my MacBookAir playing on the couch / on the balcony. I chose the latter even though that wasn't the perfect choice as running a virtual machine Windows with TLJ was perfectly playable, but very noisy CPU fan wise.

So with iPad games, I'm not only much more flexible on where / how to play them, there's also no fan noises of any kind and I could also attach it to a larger screen if I wish to, though I haven't tried that with games yet. Plus tablets are far less power hungry than having a big screen and computer, which is also a nice bonus. 

#60 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2014 - 15:48

I'm sure there are people who prefer to play on the go but I personally prefer playing on my 45 inch tv..without people breathing down my neck xD

jHevh80.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users