Photo

The Longest Journey - remastered - Petition (It had to happen guys).

remake remastered hd please

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 hyfrehyfre

hyfrehyfre

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:41

So i think is right about the time this idea takes off, i hope it becomes popular enough.

Well yes, i would like to ask everyone that ever love The Longest Journey, that is impatient looking you tube and Google from time to time for gameplay, information about Dreamfall Chapters, maybe you just played Dreamfall and if so ¿what are you waiting?, go play the original The Longest Journey.

This "new gen" hamming industry just feed the dopamine dict, the fast satisfaction branch of gamers, not that im not one of those, but with that being said i miss quality adventure games as The Longest Journey, not that there are many out there coming out soon, that ship has sailed, and even classic TLJ gamers think sometimes that the new direction Dreamfall has taken on the game has radically change the overall quality of the game itself, ¿who are we to discuss Tornsquist?, he and his team are artists so:

TLJ_takemoneyjpg.jpg

they as a team well deserve more than what they are currently getting from the gamers community, we all know that, especially girls and sensitive people know that, but ¿who cares these days about sensitive good gameplay, atmospheric gameplay??, well we all do right?

Now going to the original point of this TOPIC, im asking anyone that love this series to post please, sign and comment, go to the youtubers and spam as hell, because this games deserves it, plus, because we are already here we might ask RED THREAD to give us a formal answer on towards they are thinking on remastering TLJ, have you ever spoke about that??? between you guys, how hard would it be, would it need much money??, cause there is always kickstart that im willing to pay again, please answer as the real core fan you have all over the world, ¿ARE WE EVER SEEN THIS DREAM COME TRUE?,

Just to point a few ideas that come to my mind about this TOPIC, i think you can be surprised getting into the REMASTERED scenario today, you can bet there are thousand of old franchise and individual games that are being remake as we speak, just to mention for instance GRIM FANDANGO success should be near as sufficient for you guys to think about this, look some people are remastering old iconic thingy all over, its become a way to get richer, ¿why are you not getting advantage of that??.

So please someone at the forum get an answer of this please, and all the people outthere please post or comment on the topic i think is just fare that we get an answer.

Cheers.

• Veen Friend likes this

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:01

I'm a little confused by some of your points in this thread. If this is simply a request for information about a HD Remake of TLJ, then we've already gotten an answer.

Funcom owns the rights to TLJ. RTG does not. They cannot make a remastered version of the game for legal reasons, as well as the fact that the studio was founded to make new games. 

Ragnar has also stated that all of the original background art for TLJ was lost at one point, so the odds of there ever being a HD Remake of the game are near zero for that reason. 

Last I heard Funcom was maybe working on a tablet port of TLJ, but I don't know much about that. 

Either way, this isn't really something that belongs on this forum. This is an issue that needs to be taken up with Funcom, not with Red Thread Games. 

• WorldsReunited, TalkingOak, Vainamoinen and 4 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:12

What Erika said!

Another thing to take under consideration is that if everyone (or the few good artist) only worked on porting or renewing old games and the old glory we will never see new quality stuff, everything would be reamakes of what's good and new call of duty games... No thank you ;)

Last point: TLJ saga is bigger than just the first game, personally I would rather have the whole story told than revisiting the first part over and over again, heck, why even bother when it still is possible to play the original..? (Before you ask, I'm usually a graphics freak, at least to some extent, but I don't care that much in this case; for me, TLJ/ dreamer saga is so much more. It's like a great book, something you can get lost in and forget your boring/sad/stressfull/whatever reality for a while, and like books I don't nessesarily need 4k graphics to get me there.

Just follow the ride instead of trying to revisit the past and I'm shure you'll be in for a hell of a ride :)

(If some of this sound a bit harsh/blunt I'm sorry, it's not easy to express yourself hangover, just waking up on the couch instead of your bed early (8am-ish) in the morning... :P )

Anyway, welcome to the forum :)

• Tina, TalkingOak and Veen Friend like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#4 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7371 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:34

I don't see why it needs updating. I like it the way it is. :)

• WorldsReunited and BadCrow like this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#5 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:15

I never played Monkey Island until it got remastered. I loved it! But those who had already played it before said they preferred the old graphics because that was their version. Same with Doctor Who. The Doctor who was there when you first got captivated by it will forever be the best Doctor, to you.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of remastering TLJ. In fact, a modern version ported onto mobile devices would probably do very well. Well enough to justify the cost and effort? Well, who can say? Plus, Ragnar doesn't own the rights to the game so it would be difficult and is not currently on the horizon.

But one can dream. You never know! After The Longest Journey Home anything is possible. Depends if the right people believe it will make enough money. Maybe DFC will smash all records in the known universe and suddenly make it a hot prospect. ;)

• UPtimist, Veen Friend and Lina like this

#6 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 09 August 2014 - 14:08

You should never remake something that is already perfect.

..and it didn't have to happen,
But you could go ask Funcom anyway, so they can say no ;)

#7 Veen Friend

Veen Friend

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDenmark, Køge

Posted 09 August 2014 - 14:38

Me two. :)  But...

But the antialiasing bug could be fixed fully.

And with just a little polishing and the availability to other platforms - we would definitely bye it again for our children and our nabours children.  :D And think about April Ryan comming to all the i-pads and tablets!

So there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of remastering TLJ. In fact, a modern version ported onto mobile devices would probably do very well. Well enough to justify the cost and effort? Well, who can say? Plus, Ragnar doesn't own the rights to the game so it would be difficult and is not currently on the horizon.

For Funcom this decision it is, of course.

They need money too, and could perhaps very easy do something.

A patch release only, would not give an income  :P

#8 hyfrehyfre

hyfrehyfre

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 15:30

Ok yes thank you all people, ive read what Vestrum Crier said and i got out of ignorance in that matter, is sad that futile things as copy rights can become a problem, i will indeed post this at Funcom forum, so yeah Arcadia Native (so they can say no), i like that you guys really are polite on answering to people like me, nevertheless i think that a remastered version would be great anyways, DID SOME ART REALLY GOT LOST???, omg do you guys really believe that??, if so, how that happened anyways???, :....(

Maybe you guys have info about this other idea then, lets say that Red Thread wants o make another history based on the time of The Longest Journey, Would that be acceptable???, im so sorry to post this topic here im moving to Funcom now, please go there a support the idea, i really don't think that a remastered version would be that bad do, ¿how bad can people make things anyways?.

cheers and thanks for the input.

• Veen Friend likes this

#9 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2093 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 August 2014 - 18:44

I never played Monkey Island until it got remastered. I loved it! But those who had already played it before said they preferred the old graphics because that was their version. Same with Doctor Who. The Doctor who was there when you first got captivated by it will forever be the best Doctor, to you.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of remastering TLJ. In fact, a modern version ported onto mobile devices would probably do very well. Well enough to justify the cost and effort? Well, who can say? Plus, Ragnar doesn't own the rights to the game so it would be difficult and is not currently on the horizon.

But one can dream. You never know! After The Longest Journey Home anything is possible. Depends if the right people believe it will make enough money. Maybe DFC will smash all records in the known universe and suddenly make it a hot prospect. ;)

I would never even consider to play the original MI1 and MI2 now, when they have been remastered. The original Monkey Island was the first adventure game I played, so it has a special place in my heart. I love it dearly, but I very much welcome the remastered graphics, which illustrates better what's going on than the old version ever did. The voice acting also adds a lot to the experience. It's not that I didn't like the graphics of the original, but I don't prefer the original in any way.

So, not everyone who played the original first will prefer it over a remaster. Far from it, I would assume, given that MI2 was also remastered.

#10 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 20:30

The elementary problem of a 'remake' is that you essentially have to settle on a lot of visual/graphics decisions which transform the old pixel or extremely low res graphics into not just 'something more high res', but in fact into something that these old graphics had suggested to the nostalgia generation. The 'good' remakes delivers the pictures that have existed in your mind for decades. Which is a ridiculously difficult thing to do, I guess.

As for LucasArts, they really didn't give a damn. I remember how in the Telltale community, Laserschwert already made the MI2 Special Edition's graphics look so much better just by adding a bit of grain to them. If only they had followed the path Double Fine is announcing with their Grim Fandango remake now - to in fact make the remaster look like the concept art - these games could have been glorious. Take the original Steve Purcell art, throw a bit of projection mapping in the technology and you're here:

/edit update August 6th, 2015... evidently, Grim Fandango Remastered turned out rather rather differently than Tim had planned.

• mrKnask and ShardofTruth like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#11 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:16

I would be ok if TLJ got ported to Ipad.

HD remake probably won't be happening.

blasted be the balance

#12 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:26

Ok yes thank you all people, ive read what Vestrum Crier said and i got out of ignorance in that matter, is sad that futile things as copy rights can become a problem, i will indeed post this at Funcom forum, so yeah Arcadia Native (so they can say no), i like that you guys really are polite on answering to people like me, nevertheless i think that a remastered version would be great anyways, DID SOME ART REALLY GOT LOST???, omg do you guys really believe that??, if so, how that happened anyways???, :....(

Maybe you guys have info about this other idea then, lets say that Red Thread wants o make another history based on the time of The Longest Journey, Would that be acceptable???, im so sorry to post this topic here im moving to Funcom now, please go there a support the idea, i really don't think that a remastered version would be that bad do, ¿how bad can people make things anyways?.

cheers and thanks for the input.

Yes, Ragnar has said the original background art got lost. Not sure exactly how it did though. So a remake would have to be remade pretty much from scratch, as far as I know. And even if Funcom told Ragnar "hey, you can remake this game with no copyright problems", I don't think he'd go for it. Because he's got a lot of stories in his head and absolutely wants to make something new instead of remaking old things. Which is completely understandable, when you think he's a creative person etc. Remaking old games is probably boring for a game developer. But Funcom could still do it, I guess. Don't think it's going to happen anytime soon though.

The second point of yours, "another history based on the time of The Longest Journey" - that's pretty much what The Longest Journey Home is supposed to be. Ragnar has teased about this, and it would be a TLJ style game (more 2D point and click etc), telling the story of April between TLJ and Dreamfall, since there are years there which we don't know anything about. The game hasn't been promised, and I think RTG wants to work on other universes for a bit now after they finish Chapters, but it exists in Ragnar's mind. So I'm crossing my fingers for seeing that at some point in the future :)

And I'm very sure Funcom won't make a new TLJ game anytime soon. Remember, Ragnar had to go make his own company to be able to make Chapters, because Funcom just wants to do Online games. Or something.. So I don't really think they're that open for the remake suggestion either. Sure, I'd play it, sure I'd support it. But logically, I know it's probably never going to happen, and understand the reasoning why.

• Vainamoinen likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#13 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 15:04

Sorry, I did too much digging for the FAQ to not complement some info here. ;)

[...]what The Longest Journey Home is supposed to be. Ragnar has teased about this, and it would be a TLJ style game (more 2D point and click etc), telling the story of April between TLJ and Dreamfall, since there are years there which we don't know anything about.

It's not just those ten years. It's actually a conclusion of April's story arc after the proceedings of Dreamfall Chapters (yeah, yeah, I know, "what if April is dead?". Sure, OK. ;) ).

The Longest Journey Home will pick up right where The Longest Journey left off, filling in the 10-year gap unaccounted for in Dreamfall. But it will also extend beyond Dreamfall Chapters and conclude April’s adventure.

The game hasn't been promised, and I think RTG wants to work on other universes for a bit now after they finish Chapters

I don't think so. It's great that they're doing the three hour Draugen, but as nothing more than a developmental interlude between Longest Journey games.

Ragnar's words seem to say as much:

the future of The Longest Journey Home is 100% dependent on the sales numbers for Dreamfall Chapters. Even though we may decide to take TLJH to Kickstarter at some point, we will still need to invest quite a lot in the game ourselves, and to do that we need money. And that money will come from Chapters.

Chapters explicitly finances TLJH - that wouldn't be the case if other games playing in other universes came first.

It makes sense here: RTG capitalize on their successful IP, throw in a smaller venture in the middle just to prove they're not a one IP studio, but they can't risk too much with a completely new franchise until it's clear that their customers don't perceive them as just the "Longest Journey studio".

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#14 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 August 2014 - 15:59

Notice how I said "a bit" and not five years :P

My reason for including it was that I don't want people to say "BUT WHAT ABOUT TLJH!!?!?! YOU PROMISED IT!!!" a couple of months after Chapters is released, in case we don't hear anything about it right away.
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#15 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:24

I definitely think we're getting TLJH and the team's been pretty good about saying that they're doing their best to keep that on the horizon, but I agree with Tina that I don't fully think it's fair to hold them to a half promise. They said they wanted to make TLJH, they said that if they hit that stretch goal they would be able to work on preproduction. But since we didn't hit it, I think that sort of gives them the freedom to place it on their company timeline wherever they need to based on budget and resources. 

I don't know if I'd say Draugen is a developmental interlude. That also seems a bit unfair since it's a different team that's working on it. And I mean, if I remember correctly, Ragnar has stated that they will hopefully take on other non-TLJ non-Draugen projects in the future. As well as TLJH. And there's also been mention of of possible Non-TLJH games set in the same universe. 

But yeah, I'm more or less agreed on the "let the TLJ remake thing go." It'd be nice, but it just doesn't strike me as necessary. I'd way way rather see TLJH. 

• Riaise and mrKnask like this

#16 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:42

I don't know if I'd say Draugen is a developmental interlude. That also seems a bit unfair since it's a different team that's working on it. And I mean, if I remember correctly, Ragnar has stated that they will hopefully take on other non-TLJ non-Draugen projects in the future. As well as TLJH. And there's also been mention of of possible Non-TLJH games set in the same universe.

Well, I guess that depends on what exactly you define a "development interlude" to be. What Draugen definitively is is a way of diversifying the company and to both make sure they have more than one leg to stand on, and to make sure that the developers don't get bored with just working on the same thing all the time. RTG has to think about the longevity of the company and their job security, and a good way to do that is to gain RTG followers rather than just TLJ followers. And they have to do so while they still have our - their original fans - attention. Personally I think this is a good thing, I'm convinced they have the ability to create good games outside the TLJ universe too. And besides, they've sorta become our pals. We want them to succeed. Right?
  • agirlnamedbob, trentjaspar and mrKnask like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#17 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:59

No argument. My point was just that calling it a developmental interlude seems to sort of downplay its importance. Like it's just this random thing they're doing for funsies while they work on DFC. Which I don't think is fair.

Don't get me wrong, I get that it is a much smaller project and DFC is still very much in the spotlight, but I really hope Draugen does very well. For all the reasons you stated.

There are a ton of reasons why DFC succeeding is vital to the success of RTG as a company. But I feel like it's important for Draugen to succeed as well, for entirely different reasons. Mostly the ones you mentioned. 

• khh and mrKnask like this

#18 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 11 August 2014 - 18:17

But yeah, I'm more or less agreed on the "let the TLJ remake thing go." It'd be nice, but it just doesn't strike me as necessary. I'd way way rather see TLJH. 

Give it another 3 months, and some one else will bring it back up again ;)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#19 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 20:26

No argument. My point was just that calling it a developmental interlude seems to sort of downplay its importance. Like it's just this random thing they're doing for funsies while they work on DFC. Which I don't think is fair.

Oh, I'm sure I didn't downplay its importance. As I said the game is pretty necessary to establish RTG as a company that's good for more than a single IP. 20 to 25% of Chapters' length does say something about Draugen's scope - but small games can be beautiful too.

Insert "why not both" gif here... the original Longest Journey is absolutely deserving of a remake. More deserving than most of the adventure game remakes out there, actually. There were some conceptual flaws that I'd love to see ironed out, I'd appreciate the animation sped up and of course the low polygon 3D models redone... well, I could think of a few things that would actually justify a remastered edition besides the usual "high res backgrounds". But it's dangerous terrain. Not all fans of the original would be fans of the remake regardless of the love poured into the project.

If FunCom wants to do it (and doesn't aim at mobile things primarily), let them have their shot at it. We can always invade their forums and tell them how it's done right. :evil:

• Edreamer Jamil and magic88889 like this

#20 UPtimist

UPtimist

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 15:26

Personally I can see why it would need updating - for example my brother couldn't play TLJ because the opening scene was so ugly (even though I urged him to, saying it's the worst-looking scene in the game). And even for me when I played it (and I'm used to bad gaphics), I honestly couldn't make out what some of the stuff in that scene was supposed to even be, I just clicked stuff and accidentally did them right. Luckily the rest of the game wasn't so unsightly.

I mean, a lot in the game is simply ugly (most importantly the character models - I mean, people complain about GK3! Of course there's also a lot that looks surprisingly good)  :D  But it's still totally playable. And of course for the reasons said by Erika, the remake won't really be happening.

Most important is having the GOG version so that the game can be played on modern computers.

The Dreamer who dreams, ten trillion miles of dark...
Chrysta Bell - Angel Star

Some of my pictures: 500px, See.Me, Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users